Anyone here play Cribbage?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here play Cribbage?

Default Anyone here play Cribbage?

Cribbage is sort of a family tradition for me and mine, but I rarely find anyone under 40 years old who plays. I\'m wondering if age and geography has something to do with it.

Anyone here play - and if you do, how old are you (approximate ranges are okay :)) and where in this wide world are you?

I play :D

You\'ll find in the corner of the coffin dodgers lounge of the freak bar lol

I know what you mean though, the number of people playing these days is on the decrease, it used to be a popular game onboard ship along with uckers but these days niether is played that much.

15-2

15-4

15-6

15-8

Used to play, and under 40!

Shaz

Been playing for 31 years.
    My grandmother taught me.
    I play it on Yahoo games, once in a while, but I have trouble finding live opponents, too.

My parents play, but then again they are over 40...

I\'m guessin it was played on ships because the bits diddnt move all over the place in stormy weather?

Alex

Originally posted by alextheartistI\'m guessin it was played on ships because the bits diddnt move all over the place in stormy weather?

Alex
    Everything moves in stormy weather lol trust me on that one :D

I meant all the bits stay in the same place, even if the thing falls over.

15-2, and the rest won\'t do.
    15-4, and the rest won\'t score.
    15-6, and the rest don\'t mix.
    15-8, and the rest won\'t mate.

Those the rhymes my grandpa used when we played cribbage. If there are rhymes for higher scores, I don\'t remember them. I lived in Canada at the time of learning the game, and I\'m 41.

If it makes you feel any better, though, I played my first game in ages a few weeks back, here in Tennessee, with a friend in her early 30s who had also played the game a lot in her youth.

Euchre, Rook and Wizard are games that seem very regional to me. Euchre is much more popular in the northern US and Canada than in the southern US. I used to work in a game store and people would ask me about the game Wizard (also big in Canada) and I\'d compare it to Euchre and they would have not even ever heard the name. I later learned that Rook would be a better comparison for them, as it\'s very popular here in the south, but was one I was unfamiliar with.

40, and I used to play.

But the only opponent I have is my dad, and not very often.

Otherwise, there\'s video games and such that have taken over...:(

I\'ve played only a few times, was taught by another phone man when we caught in a blizzard and had to stay in the office.

I do however, have a fantastic handmade \'cribbage\' board.

It\'s made in the shape of a battleship, and the cribbage pegs look like little cannons.

My great uncle made it way back in the day, and I ended up with it as a keepsake. It\'s very cool!

Originally posted by supervike
    I\'ve played only a few times, was taught by another phone man when we caught in a blizzard and had to stay in the office.

It\'s made in the shape of a battleship, and the cribbage pegs look like little cannons.

My great uncle made it way back in the day, and I ended up with it as a keepsake. It\'s very cool!
    That\'s so cool! You have a picture? My keepsake from my grandmother is an ivory scrimshaw board from 1879; if I ever had to rush out of a burning house, it would be with my wife and that board.

I\'ll take a pic tonight, if I can remember that long.

I\'ll even try a string around my penis.

er...I meant finger...yeah finger.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twis ted:

I\'m 36 and I play regularly. These days, mostly play with my Dad over rum\'n\'cokes. But I\'ve spent many autumn evenings in hunting camps or rainy afternoons in a harbor pub over a cribbage board.

My brother-in-law in pretty good, too. He\'s a few years younger than I... 33-34, I think.

It\'s my favorite card game, actually. The only one I play at all often.

I, too, have one in the shape of a battleship. Made out of myrtlewood that I got at the Oregon Coast.

Yours is much cooler, though. Handmade by a family member...:wow:

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

I play, but I\'m older than dirt.

I have several boards, but none of them really cool - other than the plastic travel one I got from the guys that auctioned off my Dad\'s company.

donga666

Originally posted by arogers907
    These days, mostly play with my Dad over rum\'n\'cokes.
    If it\'s dark rum, I\'m there! white rum...meh!

I used to play with my Grandad, I was a child. Dementia then shuffling off this mortal coil ended that one (he was 93 so I was not too sad).

I still have some very happy memories of that game and his RAF/WWII memories.

;)

Blog Entries

I\'m 26 and know how to play cribbage; I have for over a decade. Nobody around here knows how to play though. Instead, I can sometimes squeak out a few hands of pinochle with my father. I have tried to teach my wife but the logic of the game escapes her.

What Again? ? ? ? ? lol

We already have a topic about that; \"the little thread of h\'apenis\"

Sorry lol