Is there an archeologist in the house??

Thread: Is there an archeologist in the house??

Default Is there an archeologist in the house??

My mother - RIP - used to live in New Mexico in the area of Elephant Butte. She really loved the Southwest and the whole Indian culture. While living there she found this shard of pottery on a hike there. I\'m not sentimental in the way of hanging on to things but it would make me feel good to know this went to someone who really appreciated it. I don\'t know the date or tribe who did this but the bit of design and the location may help you identify it. As to it\'s authenticity? Well, if you knew my mom, she wouldn\'t know the first thing about archeological fraud so that\'s about all the verification I can give. Also, I looked on Ebay and this type of thing goes for about $6-$8 so don\'t get into a sweat over hitting the jackpot. It\'s more something to appreciate for the sublime aspects of history and such. More than anything, I just want it to find a good home.

Getting a mini for it would be nice. PM me if your interested. I\'ve had my eye on these two - http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures...e/latest/50002
    http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMAC...=picture&id=84

If you don\'t get any takers, maybe try donating to a university?

how about immortalising it on a base .. use it as part of a scenic element...
    I\'d like to do that...

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

I was thinking the same thing if it\'s only worth a few odd dollars. It seem sacreligous though. But it would make a cool base!

I do\'t know about sacriligous.. just look at it as the original creator made this most likely as a practiacl piece something useful. By adding the pattern they were excercising their artistic expressio , years and years later when that person is dust a small fragment of their art is used to bring to life the work of a modern artist.. I actually thik it\'s quite poetic...

That\'s pretty cool. I would consider picking it up for my Wife but buying and selling Native Artifacts if a Federal Offence here, so I\'ll pass. I like the idea of using for a or in a base myself.

that is an interesting piece...I think your best bet, if you want to find it a nice home, would be to donate it to a museum or university, that would probobly verify if it is authentic or not, and if not you could still use it practically as part of a base...win, win situation no?

Looks to be Pueblo Indian. Good example of what I\'m seeing is here. It probably isn\'t from the Acoma pueblo mentioned, but I\'d wager it is from the same cultural heritage.

I wouldn\'t bother donating it to a university, only because usually they look to pottery pieces to verify the date of a layer of sediment they are digging in, especially when they are only partial pieces. (one of my degrees is in archaeology although I\'m far from an expert). Taken out of \"context\" (i.e. not on site) it isn\'t extremely helpful. The Archaeology lab I worked for in college had boxes of pottery and thousands of arrowheads that they needed someone to sort. Guess who got that fun job? :-)

So I think it would find more use elsewhere than your local university. Most archaeologist I\'ve met would gladly give you a rough idea of when and where it was made if they know, but they usually don\'t actively seek out shards for their collection. I hope that helps?

i think as a base would be a great idea, keeps it on show so to speak, especially if you could find an appropriate mini to go on it

@fieldarchy - wow!! Thanks for all the info. As to the legality, I was thinking this may be in a questionable thing. Guess I\'ll donate it to a small local Indian museum and let them deal with it. I did find it interesting that so much was available on Ebay thus posted here. Like I alluded to above - my mom is about the last person to try to do something nefarious, especially with her adoration of the whole Indian culture. Thanx for the info. Good to hear what you\'re name means. I have always wondered what it meant.

I don\'t think legality is a big deal, a year or two from now it would probably have been crushed underfoot anyway.

There\'s a beach near where I live that has lots of common fossils (ammonites etc) but it\'s illegal to take them even from the shore. I fully support the ban on digging them from the cliff-face due to the damage caused but a fossil amongst pebbles on the surface will erode to nothing over time.

It\'s also very common for archaeologists in the UK to sow dig sites with metal washers to foil amateurs looking for coins with metal detectors, even after the site has been filled in. I think there\'s as much snobbery in archeology and fossil-hunting as there is a legitimate desire to protect artifacts.