Lathiem, Oak Leaf - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathiem, Oak Leaf

I had trouble distinguishing what you had and hadn\'t sculpted in the conversion, so these pics are definitely helpful :D

An easy ten from me.

look, stop post in stuff you might be improving slightly but its no big woop, stop making me feel bad and deprest, it too good, i gunna go and cry...:drool:

Damn damn damn.

I really do try my hardest to be a miserable old git, but everytime I see one of your minis I have to smile.
    I have to admit to being a bit of a fanboy (gahhhh) you are for me truly a great!

Ok thats enough fawning, now for the mini.
    Meh...... its ok.

Brilliant.
    The new hand holding the axe is particulary good.... sculpting and painting you are a very talented man.

Nigel

I love all of your work and I study it and your write ups incessantly. This one is no exception. Very well done. The colors are definitely bold and while they might not be the one\'s I\'d have chosen, they are certainly expertly applied and perhaps the fact that I wouldn\'t have chosen them suggests a reason why I average 7\'s or so you and you are knocking our socks off with everything you produce.

My only criticism - and I say this realizing the irony of the fact that it really doesn\'t detract from the mini and that I couldn\'t hold a candle to it with my comparably meager skills, but also knowing that you are a guy who passionately pursues perfection in your craft: After my first :o impression wore off and I really started to study this one, I noticed that the left fist seems a bit oversized. In fact, it\'s roughly the size of his head.

Like I said, it\'s a minor thing, and one I\'m sure you\'ve already taken into account (and may even have been intentional), I\'m sure.

Overall though, great work as always. A solid 9.5 from me!

great stuff seb, wish i had paid more attention at the expo!

I really do not understand how you create such a smooth transition between real light and dark colors in such a small area (the pants for example). Whenever I try it you can tell where one color starts and another ends. I know you say it is from thin glazes and all but no matter how hard I practice I never get such perfect results.

That in mind do you normally paint with the tips of your brushes, sides, or both? Also, I know you build you build up the opacity of your colors, how many thin layers does it take to make your layer opaque?

Thanks again for all the great comments, it really does mean a lot to me. But at the same time, don\'t ever be scared to offer some criticism, you won\'t hurt my feelings haha...I am always looking to improve, so critical discussions are great. Even if it\'s just a personal dislike of a certain aspect of the mini - colour choices, lighting, whatever - it is interesting to discuss differing opinions I think :)

mattrock - yes you\'re right mate, that is the main problem with this mini, the left forearm/wrist/hand. I realised the problem once I had sculpted the hand, but I was cutting things so fine with the timing for WE, that I jsut ended up leaving it alone and moving on to the painting. But I completely agree. I think the main issue is the wrist: if it was a bit thinner, it would make the whole area look a little more appropriate. The fingers also are too large, which was a problem caused partly by the weapon shaft being a little thick. But again, it was a small enough thing for me to jsut leave it and move to the painting. There is always something wrong with a mini, after all! ;)

aliengod - yeah we\'ve talked about this before, I know...but a thing you just said in your last post made me think of something that might be causing some of the problem. YOu asked me how many layers it takes to reach complete opacity....well, that\'s the thing - I never reach a completely opaque layer with any of the colours apart from the intial basecoat. IT\'s better to think of it as gradually tinting the surface and modifying the existing colour, rather than applying a series of perfectly blended opaque layers. I guess this is where the \'glazing\' sort of technique I use differs from more traditional layering. That, and the fact that I use far less \'stages\' for a colour transition than I would if I was using the old layering technique.

Originally posted by automaton
    There is always something wrong with a mini, after all! ;)

Nah, that\'s just your own critical eye. You\'re bound to be very tough on your own work aren\'t you :) The fact is it\'s shit-hot in every way. That\'s a rare occurrence.

@ Avelorn - on many an occasion that I read a comment you\'ve made about a mini, you seem to qualify any praise with the word \'but\', even on something so good it makes everyone fall over with a rictus on their collective face. Views are views, but I\'m just pointing out what I see as a foible on your part - no need to get quite so upset.

Originally posted by reverend

Nah, that\'s just your own critical eye. You\'re bound to be very tough on your own work aren\'t you :) The fact is it\'s shit-hot in every way. That\'s a rare occurrence.

@ Avelorn - on many an occasion that I read a comment you\'ve made about a mini, you seem to qualify any praise with the word \'but\', even on something so good it makes everyone fall over with a rictus on their collective face. Views are views, but I\'m just pointing out what I see as a foible on your part - no need to get quite so upset.
    Well it\'s noted but I don\'t think it\'s fair. I might be arrogant at times (especially when discussing politics), write too long, have my head up my ass sometimes... but I don\'t think I\'m overly critical. ;) Before you start building a case, take a look at the comments I have left for Automatons other stuff.. some are freakingly fanboyish lol while others contain pointers that might or might not be helpful. Something postivite, something negative - That\'s the kind of comments I want so that\'s the kind of comments I leave even if I do tend to try to get a feeling if the person wants criticism or not.

And I agree with Seb.. nothing is ever \"perfect\" and while I sometimes use the word perfect for miniatures there always seems to be a tomorrows \"perfect\" to beat this ones.

Hm and I think I had reason to become upset actually even if I am far from it now. You seem to single out people you are annoyed of in some respect and think you know them better then you do. That I guess is what I see as a foible in you. Anyway this kind of discussion is perhaps better suited for PM\'s instead of public fencing so that would be my more constructive criticism. If you find something in me you are annoyed with in the future, be sure to PM me and we can have a lengthy discussion about the subject.

I really look forward to you posting new minis. Simply inspiring work.

I\'ve been working on similar colors on my dwarfs. Mostly inspired by your Vicar and Chevalier. Here\'s another to add to my favorites.

Originally posted by Avelorn
    Originally posted by reverend

Well it\'s noted but I don\'t think it\'s fair. I might be arrogant at times (especially when discussing politics), write too long, have my head up my ass sometimes... but I don\'t think I\'m overly critical. ;) Before you start building a case, take a look at the comments I have left for Automatons other stuff.. some are freakingly fanboyish lol while others contain pointers that might or might not be helpful. Something postivite, something negative - That\'s the kind of comments I want so that\'s the kind of comments I leave even if I do tend to try to get a feeling if the person wants criticism or not.

And I agree with Seb.. nothing is ever \"perfect\" and while I sometimes use the word perfect for miniatures there always seems to be a tomorrows \"perfect\" to beat this ones.

Hm and I think I had reason to become upset actually even if I am far from it now. You seem to single out people you are annoyed of in some respect and think you know them better then you do. That I guess is what I see as a foible in you. Anyway this kind of discussion is perhaps better suited for PM\'s instead of public fencing so that would be my more constructive criticism. If you find something in me you are annoyed with in the future, be sure to PM me and we can have a lengthy discussion about the subject.
    Me? Think I know you? From a picture of a sheep in a forum? You\'re having a laugh! I can\'t be bothered with PMs over something like this - I\'ve got far better things to do, like jump on my bike in glorious sunshine. Au revoir mon touchy ami!

This is a stunning mini. I enjoyed reading the comments too, a total inspiration. Have you ever thought of putting a audio/visual tutorial togethe? If so please stay away from MM. do something more like Jérémie Bonamant, now I would buy that ;)

Thanks again for all the great comments, it really does mean a lot to me. But at the same time, don\'t ever be scared to offer some criticism, you won\'t hurt my feelings haha...I am always looking to improve, so critical discussions are great. Even if it\'s just a personal dislike of a certain aspect of the mini - colour choices, lighting, whatever - it is interesting to discuss differing opinions I think :)

First of all, the metals are great. As always :)
    The skintones are really interesting and he looks really grim. The touch-of-green shading on the leather of the pole is also looking awesome and is pretty unique (having seen many of those ;)).

Now, if I pick the whole model apart (and since I doubt you wont send it to me, I\'ll just imagine it), all the parts and tones are excellent, but all together, there is one color that does more than stick out (for me): The pants.

The pants are in some non-muted turqoise (sp?) which looks rather odd on this miniature.

I would suggest you repaint them.

Tihi, just kidding :P

Although they look rather out of place, they do make the model a tad more interesting, but next time you paint a similar model with muted tones all over, mind the pants :D

This is a 9:er!

@Reverend: Aww.. no make-up sex? :( Have a nice bikeride.

Bikes are better than people - they work you hard without needing a reason. My bike is my pain and joy.

By the way, it\'s extraordinarily difficulty to have make-up sex with someone in another country. Furthermore, it implies a falling out in the first place that needs the making up arrangement thereafter. As I don\'t even know you well enough to have been in a position where we might have fallen out, the whole idea of make-up sex becomes redundant as, of course, we have never fallen out. Further furthermore, why would I wave my willy around with a bloke? That would be plain silly :duh:, but of course you know that - and I applaud your subtle humour :yes:. So, all\'s well that ends well. Because everything was always well. Now, where\'s my copy of How To Make Friends And Influence People...

Originally posted by atacam
    This is a stunning mini. I enjoyed reading the comments too, a total inspiration. Have you ever thought of putting a audio/visual tutorial togethe? If so please stay away from MM. do something more like Jérémie Bonamant, now I would buy that ;)
    Ya if you made a painting video it would be very successful.

select * from superlatives

This is stunning.

@Reverend: I agree it\'s difficult but not entirely inconcievable in spiritum. I instead think the problem more stems from the fact that we haven\'t had sex in any way yet which means is somewhat something taken for granted in the entire concept of make-up sex...

Well any continuation of this conversation have to be by PM\'s I\'m afraid at least to save other forum dwellers unwholesome nightmares. But I think we can stop here as you implied with your last post. Done is done, I\'m fine your fine we\'re all fine. kumbaya my lord Kumbaya!

Originally posted by Avelorn
    @Reverend: I agree it\'s difficult but not entirely inconcievable in spiritum.
    How many times!? \'I\' before \'E\' except after \'C\'! Dear God alive...:no: