First post....yay me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post....yay me

Default First post....yay me

Well this is my first post, after lurking for the past couple of weeks and actually being a member now for quite a while i have decided to take the plunge.

The main reason for this leap of faith is the desire to improve my abilities, at the moment i consider myself to be a slightly better than average table-top painter.

So i\'ll thank all the more established members beforehand for any future brain picking :D

Calamity

Oh I\'m also in Kent so I will be keeping my eyes peeled for anyone local.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

oohh, you\'ve done it now. Stuck your toe in to see if the water was warm and the ooze came up and pulled you in.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Oh hey there!

Welcome aboard. I think you\'re gonna love it here. Well... I\'ve not yet been here for a full year, but everybody seems nice enough.

Could be that they\'re all just that way \'til they get you in the Freak Bar, though. That\'s when they pounce!

Welcome! =)

welcome. tell us some more about yourself

Abandon hope... :twisted:

Pleased to meet you. Like freak said, tell us about yourself.

Originally posted by freakinacage
    welcome. tell us some more about yourself
    Dont fall for it, he\'s trying to trick you into hitting 2 posts :)

Aoooh...Haloo!!

Nice to see someone new!! :beer:

If anyone\'s noticed I\'m posting more now....aren\'t I a good boy :duh:

You won\'t regret it at all.
    I lurked for a lot longer before joining the conversations, myself. Close to a year, I think.
    Post WIP pictures, and pay attention to the advice given, even if it seems harsh. Noone here means to be rude when they\'re talking about minis (well, most everyone). Anything that seems harsh, take with a grain of salt.
    My work went from a 4.5 (just reading and doing) to a 7.2 (posting, taking advice, using advice) in only a couple of months.
    Now, I\'ve got from mini collector to amazing (a 2.7 point jump is amazing) painter, and have joined the \'I\'m trying to do too many things and can never finish anything as a result\' club.

Amazingly, this is just like my efforts to write a book.

I just started posting as of a few days ago myself. It\'s nice I\'m not the only newb around. As far as skill progression, my abilities have jumped since I\'ve been reading and lurking. Hopefully when I start posting and getting feedback they will get better as well. Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome guys,

alright a bit more about myself, 33 years old and got into D&D when i was about 8 or 9, couple of years later branched into what i consider the totally awsome Warhammer FRP, dabbled in other games of that era eg. paranoia, runequest AD&D. Then along came Warhammer Fantasy Battle, then 40k Rogue Trader etc. and through those i got hooked on minis.

So gamed and played up until i was about 17 then the pressures of A-levels took over so petered out somewhat, then university/ college called for my gaming group and we all went our seperate ways so i began a twelve year sabbatical.

In 2005 i got bhack into the hobby to support my step-son who was getting into the LOTR at the time, so at the moment i am collecting from the three core GW lines.

Also decided to go to university to get my degree, of which I\'m in the last year. I\'m currently studying Digital 3D Design so am very used to taking on board constructive criticism.

At the moment full time work, fulltime study and three kids doesn\'t allow for army building, so I\'m concentrating on individual projects.

current project is the plastic space marine commander, so ill be posting some WIP shots soon as i take some.

Also at 33 i feel a little too old to be frequenting the local GWstores (Maidstone, Bluewater) so was also looking for local groups/ individuals to bounce feedback etc . off of.

Thanks again for the warm welcome,

Calamity

Originally posted by calamitykane

Also at 33 i feel a little too old to be frequenting the local GWstores
    Get over it, there are quite a few people on here way beyond their 30\'s surviving in GW stores.
    The ankle biters haven\'t ground us down yet.

And welcome to the Madness, we don\'t bite. (Unless the Moon is Full) ;):D

Originally posted by Dragonsreach

Also at 33 i feel a little too old to be frequenting the local GWstores
    Get over it, there are quite a few people on here way beyond their 30\'s surviving in GW stores.
    The ankle biters haven\'t ground us down yet.

And welcome to the Madness, we don\'t bite. (Unless the Moon is Full) ;):D
    Its just that in the past couple of years of I,ve never seen anyone over the age of 25 except the store manager and shell shocked parents (probably the prices:D).

I know they have a veterans night but its not on a night thats convenient. Maybe i should make an effort and try to get down there.

Calamity

Definitely. Ya gotta make time for yourself, right? Otherwise you might burn out. That\'d be a terrible thing to do at your age! jk lol

sg2009

welcome to the forums :twisted: :drunk:

sam

Welcome to the eharmony of miniatures! As to those little ankle biters int he stores. Just remember they have to have mommy and daddy buy their stuff where to you the store is an open book... unless a wife is watching, then your still on an allowance. :D

alright a bit more about myself, 33 years old and got into D&D when i was about 8 or 9, couple of years later branched into what i consider the totally awsome Warhammer FRP, dabbled in other games of that era eg. paranoia, runequest AD&D. Then along came Warhammer Fantasy Battle, then 40k Rogue Trader etc. and through those i got hooked on minis.

So gamed and played up until i was about 17
    Wow, I could have written that. That is so close to my gaming origins it\'s slightly scary. I would just need to add a part in there about finding issue 100 of White Dwarf and wanting to find this \'Eavy Metal game which lead me to Warhammer.....

Have to admit I have the same problem with the local GW Daycare as well. Ours is spot to drop off your kids while you shop at the mall, not a place for anyone who is at all serious about the hobby. I find my FLGS a much better place to meat other gamers, as well as online forums like these.