Metal vs Resin

Thread: Metal vs Resin

Default Metal vs Resin

Ok so a quick question for anyone in the know. Why are some miniature cast in resin and other cast in metal, what are the different reason and is an important choice or merely a preference or supply issue?
    Cheers

There are economic reasons for preferring one over the other, depending on the type of casting one is doing - resins are expensive and there\'s no recycling if there is any waste, but the moulds are cheap (relatively); casting metals are cheaper and you can recycle bad casts, mould plugs etc. but the moulds are more expensive.

I think the other major factor is simply what the customers expect/want.

Einion

Definitively resin minis! :)
    They costs at last thrice than one metal copy, but they\'ve a soul! :beer:

As has been said its a cost vs time vs production quantity. Resin molds apparently wear our quicker than metal, so it tends to be that mini\'s that have a small production run are resin and larger production run are metal.

However another factor to take into account, is that metal is a lot more durable than resin, so resin models tend to be focused at a more adult audience, as grown ups are meant to be more careful than younger folk :p

Pete

I\'ve noticed that very large models are often resin, which is presumably a lot lighter than metal, so perhaps weight is a factor too?

Default detail?

I\'ve noticed resin models seem to have the best detail, but is that due to the artists themselves, them taking more time on more costly models, or a factor in the material? not sure.

Sanjay

the resin moulds handle undercuts better than the metal moulds thus allowing for finer and more intricate detailing.

Originally posted by Einion
    ...........resins are expensive and there\'s no recycling if there is any waste, ..........
    I\'ve heard tell that the resin material used by Forgeworld can be recycled.
    How true that is I\'m not sure.............

But I do know someone local to me (not Chris) who has recycled bad resin cast bases into larger castings(think solid buildings) as Bulking Material/fillers.

Originally posted by StarFyre
    I\'ve noticed resin models seem to have the best detail, but is that due to the artists themselves, them taking more time on more costly models, or a factor in the material? not sure.

Sanjay
    In addition to weight there can be issues with shrinkage with metal figures as the alloy cools, so it is best not to use it for too large a piece.

Ty so much for the reply guys very helpful so far.