Duel: Howling Banshee vs. Marine

Thread: Duel: Howling Banshee vs. Marine

Default Duel: Howling Banshee vs. Marine

http://www.coolminiornot.com/197787

My duel entry in Chicago this year, which got an honorable mention. The marine chapter is a DIY that I did as a big commission job for a guy earlier in the year. I thought it would be a nice treat for him if I used his chapter in my entry, especially if it got in White Dwarf or something.

One of the effects I was pleased with was multiple very thin coats of VMC metallic medium over the Eldar sword. Shimmery. :D

Mike, this is a very dynamic piece. Beautiful work. May I ask how you did the impact area between the chainsword and the eldar sword? Are those pins? The posing is perfect!

Cheers,
    Jake

Like this one - good pose and nice painting. The base works excellent and the snow is well pulled of. The onle little drawback seems to be the plasmapistol, wich seems to be a little flat compared to the rest of the mini.

great pose and the sparks are cool. some areas do look a little flat (both pistols) but its still a great piece, well done on the honorable mention

Originally posted by redarmy27
    Mike, this is a very dynamic piece. Beautiful work. May I ask how you did the impact area between the chainsword and the eldar sword? Are those pins? The posing is perfect!

Cheers,
    Jake
    The sparky bits are lengths of very thin brass rod dipped in superglue for the larger end.

Yeah, the plasma pistol was my downfall. I talked with Tim Lison for a while afterward and he pointed it out as being \"jarring\" compared to the rest of the model. I think I need to plan on finishing these entries about 2 weeks before games day so I can just keep revisiting them and look for those \"jarring\" items that can be fixed. Oh, well! Next year!

cool but the pistols an also the grey on the marine backpack could do with some more highlighting imo
    Well done on the hon. mention! :beer:

Originally posted by GobboTeef
    cool but the pistols an also the grey on the marine backpack could do with some more highlighting imo
    rofl, i just looked at this again and thats what i was gonna add. the grey definitely needs more depth

I really like this duel piece! The sparks are awesome one of my favorite parts the little details like that are nice :) I am just wondering though, aside from everything, but why are they using swords when both their guns are pointed away? :D

Great work but yeah, the pistols were the downfall. I just LOVE the impact of the swords.

A lovely pose and some great dynamics, but I\'d love to see it painted to a much higher standard - that\'s not a criticism, it\'s just that a top-class painter would bring this to life and make it incredible.