Reccomend some music for me
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reccomend some music for me

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Default Reccomend some music for me

Ok, this is going to sound really strange to anyone who has never been married to man with a very strong personality for 25 years and then is getting a divorce (I would assume that\'s all of you then? Good, lets move on).

I don\'t really know what type of music I like. I know what I\'v elistened to over the last almost 30 years, but those chioces were never mine. I never got to buy the cd\'s (tapes, records, songs carved into rock. I\'m not young). So I\'m asking all of you to recomend some music for me to listen to so I can make up my mind what I, myself, and no one else, likes. Tell me where to start and what the best songs and artists are in your opinion. I\'ll go listen to them and then buy the stuff I like. I might even let you in on what I\'ve chosen.

Thanks guys! :D

sg2009

i dont really have any favorite artists etc, i usually listen to most types of rock except indie rock. bands i usually listen to are bands like:

disturbed
    system of a down
    lost prophets
    madina lake
    slipknot
    nirvana
    sex pistols
    white strips
    linkin park
    fall out boy

the list is endless....

is there a Pacific genre of music you like???

One of my absolute favourite artists is Nick Cave! He and his band (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) are excellent musicians with a very personal expression. Lyrics wise, I hold Nick Cave as one of the greatest. His lyrics are very literary and poetic, without getting awkward and pretentious. He might not be the best singer, technically, but he\'s got a distinct, personal style of singing and for me that is more important.

You might want to skip his earlier stuff, though. Great as it is, it\'s quite chaotic and a bit of an aquired taste and might not be the best place to start. But, if you start off with something from the 90s or later you\'ll get a better idea if this is something for you or not.

Here\'s a youtube clip of one of many favourite songs of mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOiUPl5GjTE

I\'m not sure why, but after reading your question I immediately thought of two songs.

VNV Nation - Illusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-8wGbWMro

Nick Cave & P.J Harvey -Henry Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdNCHomHlU

And if you are interested in metal scene then just ask, I think I know a thing or two about it.

Edit: Ritual, Nick Cave is indeed great. I just have to point out that the early stuff is much, much better than anything released after Murder ballads.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

@ sg2009: My son has introduced me to the White Stripes as well as the Gorillas. I like both of the but not sure what my genre is yet.

@ Ritual: !!!!! I love this guy! Always have! Heres one of my favorites.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrodaLzfi5s Red right hand! My son again. I just didn\'t know who he was.

@ Hands of Blue: VNV Nation looks interesting. I\'ll have to look at more. Thanks!

Blog Entries

You want old stuff or new

Old -

Pink Floyd
    Jethro Tull
    Iron Maiden
    AC/DC
    Johnny Cash
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Bob Marley
    The Monkees

New
    Blue October
    Nine Inch Nails
    Nirvana
    Nickleback

Okily dokily. Here\'s a list with an album title.

Morcheeba \"Big Calm\"

Leftfield \"Leftism\"

Boredoms \"Vision Creation Newsun\"

Acid Mothers Temple \"Family Compilation: Do What You Want, Don\'t Do What You Don\'t Want\" (this one\'s quite a variety of sounds and is a triple CD)

Boards of Canada \"Music Has The Right To Children\"

Lacuna Coil \"Comalies\"

Type O Negative \"October Rust\"

Paradise Lost \"Draconian Times\"

Rammstein \"Reise Reise\"

Machine Head \"Burn My Eyes\"

Pantera \"Vulgar Display of Power\"

Probot \"Probot\" (this was a project by Dave Grohl where he wrote the songs and played most of the instruments but had guest singers/musicians and the songs were done in their styles. Ranging from Lemmy of Motorhead to Max Cavalera of Seputura)

Pelican \"Australasia\" (instrumental metal)

Isis \"Panopticon\"

Apocalyptica \"Plays metallica by Four Cellos\" or \"Apocalyptica\"

Robert Johnson \"The Complete recordings\"

Buena Vista Social Club \"Buena Vista Social Club\"

White Zombie \"La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume 1\"

Beck \"Odelay\"

The Clash \"London Calling\"

Queensryche \"Operation: Mindcrime\"

Circulus \"The Lick on the Tip of an Envelope Yet To Be Sent\"

Space \"Spiders\"

Mastodon \"Leviathan\"

Second Nick Cave - quality. His new album Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is one of the best I think :)

Listen to some Arcade Fire and Feist too, and if you like Gorillaz try The Good The Bad And The Queen, and Blur (as well as his Chinese opera stuff) - Damon Albarn is a genius. Check out Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky and Martina Topley-Bird, especially the early albums. Everyone should like trip-hop :P

Also De La Soul, The Strokes, Hot Chip, Kraftwerk, Radiohead... there really is a lot of great music out there, although lots of of it won\'t be to your taste.

Here\'s the best information I can give you. Pick a band that you like, and would like to hear music thats similar.

Go to www.pandora.com

Create a playlist of that band. Pandora will automatically choose songs by artists that are similar, and you can tell it which songs you like and don\'t like, and it keeps adjusting your playlist. Best of all, it\'s completely free, and there are no commercials! Create as many playlists as you want, with as many artists as you want.

I have dozens of playlists. Everything from Hendrix to Metallica, ska to classical. I have discovered so many new artists with Pandora, it\'s doubtful I would have heard of them anywhere else.

You can thank me later :)

-Matt

Sometimes though if there\'s more than one band with a certain name you\'ll get songs from all of them, can be good or bad.

Originally posted by Bill
    Arcade Fire
    Yeah, check out \"Neon Bible\"! Fantastic album!

Originally posted by Ritual
    Originally posted by Bill
    Arcade Fire
    Yeah, check out \"Neon Bible\"! Fantastic album!
    I think Funeral is better, though - not really because it\'s better quality, but because it\'s slightly different in style, which I prefer. They are both awesome, though - especially live :drool:

Originally posted by Roger Bunting
    Sometimes though if there\'s more than one band with a certain name you\'ll get songs from all of them, can be good or bad.
    Which is why you rate it accordingly and if you don\'t like the song, skip it. I can\'t think of how many times I have skipped Green Day songs. They always seem to pop up everywhere. Can\'t stand them. :)

-Matt

Most of my music likes are individual tracks here and there but some ideas:
    Sarah McLachlan (like nearly everything, unusual for me)
    Alanis Morissette (lots of good stuff)
    Cocteau Twins (a bit strange but intriguing; the awesome Song To The Siren from This Mortal Coil will give you an idea of the kind of sound)
    Journey (lots of good stuff)
    David Gray\'s White Ladder
    early Kate Bush
    Moby

Taster menu if you want to go hunting peer-to-peer:
    Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
    Ailein Duinn by Karen Matheson
    Fields Of Gold by Eva Cassidy (cover of a Sting song)
    Mercy by Duffy
    Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
    Bette Davis Eyes by Gwyneth Paltrow (cover of a Kim Karnes song)
    Come Here Boy Imogen Heap
    You Fill Up My Senses by John Denver
    Prospero\'s Speech by Loreena McKennitt (Shapespeare never sounded so good)
    Breathe by Maria McKee
    We Live For Love by Pat Benatar
    Scarborough Fair by Amy Nuttall
    The Rose by Bette Midler
    Wise Up by Aimee Mann
    Silver Lining by Amanda Ghost
    Be Good To Yourself by Journey
    Right Beside You by Sophie B. Hawkins
    Pure Morning by Placebo
    Fumbling Toward Ecstasy by Sarah McLachlan
    You Got The Love by The Source featuring Candi Staton
    Sunrise Projector by Tycho
    I Don\'t Want To Wait by Paula Cole
    Next Year by Foo Fighters
    Stay by Shakespears Sister

Einion

Originally posted by Ritual
    One of my absolute favourite artists is Nick Cave! He and his band (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) are excellent musicians with a very personal expression. Lyrics wise, I hold Nick Cave as one of the greatest. His lyrics are very literary and poetic, without getting awkward and pretentious. He might not be the best singer, technically, but he\'s got a distinct, personal style of singing and for me that is more important.
    Amen to that! Nick Cave is one of the very best - the storyteller of music.

I talk to his second cousin, Jared Cave, online :cool: lol

Personally, I wouldn\'t name any bands. You said the choices weren\'t yours, before, and to me, it sounds more like you want to choose for yourself. What I\'d suggest is listening to the radio, different stations each day, picking songs you like from that, and then going to the library to borrow CDs (if your local library has that option), or downloading the songs, or whatever, to build up a collection of things you\'ve found you like, on your own.

The variety of suggestions you\'ll get from people here on CMON is vast and varied, certainly, but they\'re coming from outside sources, and some of the people are people you respect a great deal. Their opinions may carry more weight with you than others. That isn\'t necessarily a bad thing, because your friends won\'t deliberately steer you wrong, but if you\'re wanting to assert yourself more fully in this regard, you\'re really best off exploring the possibilities yourself.

youtube has videos from just about any band out there for you to get samplings, as well.

Just my $.02 worth.

These are tracks from the first ten cds I have in front of me on my desk in no particular order and the youtube vids to go with them:

Days of the new

Covenant

Pitchshifter

Technoir

Turisas going to see them in a few weeks. Viking metal FTW

Apoptygma Berserk A bit of a new sound for them but good.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Alabama 3 From London and there are only two of them ???

Static X Someone seems to have put a wrestling video over the top of it but it\'s my favourite song on the album so ...

And of course IRON MAIDEN!!!

No Pink Floyd as all my cds are locked away safe so they don\'t get scratched. Still the best band ever though :D

Originally posted by Undave
    Turisas going to see them in a few weeks. Viking metal FTW
    Enjoy. I have seen them twice this summer and they really are a great live band.

If British people can drink and dance even half as well as we then you are going to have a blast. :)

Hehe I hope so. They\'re supporting Dragonforce (I\'m mainly going just to see Turisas though) so it ought to be a gig to remember :D