Display Cabinets

Thread: Display Cabinets

Default Display Cabinets

Anybody have any suggestions on where one could buy a display cabinet that isn\'t going to cost a fortune? I\'m not looking for anything too fancy. A cabinet like the ones GW uses in their stores would be perfect. Any suggestions on where to find those or ones like those would be most appreciated. Thanks

IKEA has one that looks pretty close to the GW ones. It\'s a pain in the back to build though.

-Matt

Wow, don\'t fall over yourself to post for the first time! lol

On to your question, would help a great deal knowing where you live buddy ;)

Einion

Originally posted by mattsterbenz
    IKEA has one that looks pretty close to the GW ones. It\'s a pain in the back to build though.

-Matt
    Second Matt\'s IKEA suggestion.
    They\'ve various cabinets at various prices. I got a decent, four shelf glass cabinet for £35. You can easily add a light too. Stands about five foot high.
    You can also get smaller ones to stick on the wall. I think they\'ve got them down as CD cabinets but they work great for minis and other associated gubbins.

could anyone give us a link. i tried looking for them a few weks ago but couldn\'t find them?

Floor standing cabinet.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10011055

One with glass just at the front.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30114613

Wider sideboard style cabinet.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40128563

thanks very much i may go and buy one of them.

Me too, ive just moved house and there are mini\'s everywhere, will be nice to get them sorted out. On my list of various things to buy from ikea..

Alex

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions everyone, and sorry about the location neglection it slipped my mind. I live in the U.S. in North Carolina. Ordering from Europe isn\'t that big of a deal but I would prefer somewhere closer. Unfortunately all of the department stores are pretty much hit or miss. They rarely get display cabinets and when they do they usually sell out quite quickly seeing as they only get one or two at a time.

Originally posted by Khartanis
    Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions everyone, and sorry about the location neglection it slipped my mind. I live in the U.S. in North Carolina. Ordering from Europe isn\'t that big of a deal but I would prefer somewhere closer. Unfortunately all of the department stores are pretty much hit or miss. They rarely get display cabinets and when they do they usually sell out quite quickly seeing as they only get one or two at a time.
    Perhaps if you request something specific, they might order it in and hold it for you?

Anyway I can attest to the goodness of IKEA cabinets, I have wall mount ones and they were an excellent choice (albeit overflowing now).

I would love to request it but unfortunately the only GW store in my area closed down. And by in my area I mean a 2 hour drive. Maybe there is a way to contact them via the Internet and ask though.

Aloha,
    Just one question about these cabinets. Obviously most of us put varnish on our minis but when putting mine in cabinets I find they accumulate an amazing amount of dust in short periods of time. Its fine to dust them lightly but over time I\'m sure this is going to wear away the varnish. Anyone know of cabinets that are tougher on letting in the dust?

The only problem with IKEA cabinets is that they usually have only one source of lightning.

When you put a lot mini on one shelf that they will cover the rest on the lower ones.
    It`s a good idea to buy more halogen bulbs and put them on sides of cabinet.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by Khartanis
    Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions everyone, and sorry about the location neglection it slipped my mind. I live in the U.S. in North Carolina. Ordering from Europe isn\'t that big of a deal but I would prefer somewhere closer....
    Ikea is not exactly close to you. Nearest stores are in Atlanta or VA just outside of DC.

http://info.ikea-usa.com/StoreLocator/Results.aspx

But they do ship.

Originally posted by archreptile
    Obviously most of us put varnish on our minis but when putting mine in cabinets I find they accumulate an amazing amount of dust in short periods of time. Its fine to dust them lightly but over time I\'m sure this is going to wear away the varnish.
    Most varnish will be more than tough enough to withstand this! (Unless you\'re maybe dusting with something rougher than a soft-hair brush, or the dust in your area is gritty because of the environment.)

My miniatures aren\'t varnished at all and my cabinet doesn\'t have tight-fitting doors so the figs have to be dusted periodically - no probs so far. They\'re mostly painted in artists\' acrylics too, which aren\'t exactly noted for being hard and scratch-resistant :)

Einion

Originally posted by archreptile
    Aloha,
    Just one question about these cabinets. Obviously most of us put varnish on our minis but when putting mine in cabinets I find they accumulate an amazing amount of dust in short periods of time. Its fine to dust them lightly but over time I\'m sure this is going to wear away the varnish. Anyone know of cabinets that are tougher on letting in the dust?
    To be honest if you use a soft make up style brush for removing dust the varnish won\'t be removed so much...

The problem with cabinets is always dust , dust dust bloody dust... it was the biggest pain about working in a GW with 4 large cabinets..

he problem isn\'t so much that cabinets are dusty more that we just see it there...Eliminating dust in the room the cabinet is in can be a big big help.. I don\'t have a cabinet currently since we moved but when I did I had a de-ioniser in the room. ( plugged into the light socket.. ) these really work at lowering dust but nothing can really eliminate it totally other than totally sealing the cabinet itself and even then it will always find a way in there...

There are dust magnet cloths on the market and apparentyly hanging them in cabinets in strips can help but I can\'t imagine it looking great???

any other dust busting tips would be great guys...

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

cans of air (computer geek stuff) work pretty good.

Dust will get anywhere - inside a glass cabinet less than sitting on a table - but dust shows up none-the-less.

Used to amaze me that we would have to dust the electronics on the ship when we were 100 miles from any shore.