Optics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics

Default Optics

My eyesight is getting worse, and am looking for some reasonable optics to help me see for the detail work required to paint.

Any recomendations would be helpful. Budget is a concern, but I could reasonably pay a few hundred if I could guarantee a nice handfree set of optics.

Any suggestions?

First post here!

Aluvial

Welcome aboard.

I have one of these with a sunlight bulb.
    Magnifying Lamp

You\'d probably be able to find one in a office supply store.

Or possibly these:Magnifying Visor

I prefer the lamp to the visor simply because I hate the way the visor feels but that may simply be a personal preference.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

I have both the lamp and the visor. Both have their uses. The lamp I have has a very blue flresent ring in it and I have trouble with colors on it. I always have to take the minis out in the sunlight after I use it to make sure they are correct. The visor I can only use for a limited time becaus eit gives me a headache.

It different for me as I can\'t judge the 3 dimentional depth of an item under a single lens, hence I have to use Clip on Magnifiers/Optiovisor.

I\'ve tried using single lens for work but still can\'t get away with it.

@Aluvial Welcom eto the forums, say good by to sanity and life.
    All I can recommend for you is to see if you can test how you can see thing under a Magnifier before you consider which way to go spending you cash.

My preference is the visor. True, it\'s not always the most comfortable thing, but related to what Dragonreach said about depth perception with the two: my problem with a stationary magnifier such as on the lamp is that with it, you must adjust both for the distance between the magnifier and the figure on one side, and the magnifier and your eyes on the other. At least with the visor, the distance between it and your eyes is fixed, and therefore I find it easier to maintain focus.

good glasses are first choice, then use a head magnifier for realy tiny detail work.

all of this should be done under a good daylight lamp as it prevents eye strain and gives a true perspective of colours.

i paint full time and need glasses for painting, the head mag is needed for tiny detail work and the lamp just makes it all that little easier.

I have the lamp magnifier, and while it is great to look at the mini between strokes, I cant seem to paint while looking through it. My brush always wants to hit the bulb or the lens...

The magnifiers look good, but I was thinking about the things dentists use... I\'m sure the cost is prohibitive, but if I can find something in the $150-$300 department, I would likely invest in them.

Aluvial

Originally posted by Aluvial

The magnifiers look good, but I was thinking about the things dentists use... I\'m sure the cost is prohibitive, but if I can find something in the $150-$300 department, I would likely invest in them.

Aluvial
    :o How Much...............
    Either I\'m cheap or your being ripped off.
    Good magnifiers shouldn\'t cost you that much. Unless you intend to paint 2mm figures with fully detailed eyesockets.
    :D

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

I think he\'s looking at stuff like surgeon\'s loupes instead of crafter\'s headsets:

They are about $100+ on ebay

instead of this for $10:

I use lenses that fit on my spectacles (as recommended by Dragonsreach) and I find them much easier to work with than the \"helping hands\" magnifier I was using. The better depth perception is a big improvement. The one I have only cost about £15 I think, with 4 different lenses, 1.7x, 2.0x, 2.5x, and 3.0x

For most uses the 2.0x is fine as the focal length is more comfortable as I don\'t have to bring the mini too close to me.

Roger Glad I got something right. :)

Originally posted by Roger Bunting
    I use lenses that fit on my spectacles (as recommended by Dragonsreach) and I find them much easier to work with than the \"helping hands\" magnifier I was using. The better depth perception is a big improvement. The one I have only cost about £15 I think, with 4 different lenses, 1.7x, 2.0x, 2.5x, and 3.0x

For most uses the 2.0x is fine as the focal length is more comfortable as I don\'t have to bring the mini too close to me.
    Yep... there should be something in the middle.... has to be... I just want to know where.

Originally posted by airhead
    I think he\'s looking at stuff like surgeon\'s loupes instead of crafter\'s headsets:

They are about $100+ on ebay

instead of this for $10:
    Yep... there should be something in the middle.... has to be... I just want to know where.

Hit the wrong post... Yes the loupes is what I was thinking of, but way too expensive... looking for something inbetween.

I\'m surprised so many people use magnifiers to be honest. My eye site isn\'t perfect 20/20 but it isn\'t abysmal. Dont short sighted people get a free magnification anyway if they take their glasses off? I know that if my mate wants to look at something in detail he shoves his glasses out of the way

Shaz

I\'m long-sighted, personally, although my eyesight overall have deteriorated a bit.

Originally posted by Fizl
    I\'m surprised so many people use magnifiers to be honest. My eye site isn\'t perfect 20/20 but it isn\'t abysmal. Dont short sighted people get a free magnification anyway if they take their glasses off? I know that if my mate wants to look at something in detail he shoves his glasses out of the way

Shaz
    I\'m short-sighted and don\'t use any magnification stuff (as you can probably tell from my painting lol) but I never heard of taking off my glasses to see something better close up. Worth a try! :cool:

I\'m surprised so many people use magnifiers to be honest.
    I\'m short sighted, but my eyes have differing focal lengths/planes and astigmatism, hence why I need the glasses. (That and being old lol )
    I can see \"OK\" without either pair of glasses, but can\'t read anything under Font size 18 -20 due to the astigmatism causing horizontal offset duplicates.
    I also don\'t want to risk it when driving therefore glasses are a must.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    I\'m short sighted, but my eyes have differing focal lengths/planes and astigmatism, hence why I need the glasses. (That and being old lol )
    I can see \"OK\" without either pair of glasses, but can\'t read anything under Font size 18 -20 due to the astigmatism causing horizontal offset duplicates.
    :owhat are you doing with my eyesight, namely the astigmatism

Originally posted by wiccanpony
    Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    :owhat are you doing with my eyesight, namely the astigmatism
    See I knew we had a lot in common.;)

Harbor Freight has lots of good cheap stuff. I got a clamp on desk magnifier I like quite a bit. Tho my problem with it is that I often end up working too close too it and mess up a detail by hitting the back side of brush against the lamp :cussing: