Painted mini market - softening?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painted mini market - softening?

Default Painted mini market - softening?

Hey folks! Are you finding the market for painted minis is going south a bit (declining)?

I\'m noticing a lot of fairly decent auctions going without bids, or with very low final prices.

Are commission artists seeing less business? (I dont do commissions so dont have much frame of reference).

I guess it\'s probably a bunch of factors

- summer
    - gas prices
    - saturation?

But wondering if it will bounce back.

not affected me in the slightest so couldn\'t say.......I have way too much work being requested on an almost daily basis....

A few of the big money collectors are out of the loop on ebay and some auctions are selling some aren\'t.. reputation and feedback is getting more and more important every day as there are just so many people doing it and a lot of people start wit prices that won\'t get a sniff...

Like anything I suppose there is a slow down as belts are tightened but so far I\'m not noticing it.

Originally posted by Jarrett
    Hey folks! Are you finding the market for painted minis is going south a bit (declining)?

I\'m noticing a lot of fairly decent auctions going without bids, or with very low final prices.

Are commission artists seeing less business? (I dont do commissions so dont have much frame of reference).
    Basic answer is Yes

I guess it\'s probably a bunch of factors

- summer
    - gas prices
    - saturation?
    I think you\'ve hit the nail on the head. There is a saturation factor in that there are so many Painters out in the market place that customers can pick and choose.
    Plus the Declined dollar vaule has made Painters like myself in the UK see a reduction in what USA customers are capable of affording.

I\'ve not seen any decline in painting quality for the \"Collector Aimed\" end of the market, but the proliferation of \"Pro Painted\" models has also turned a number of people I know off Ebay Trawling.

But wondering if it will bounce back. Who KNows?

maybe the credit crunch is affecting some more than others. i, for one, am trying to cut back (not that it\'s working very well but i am trying...)

Originally posted by demonherald
    A few of the big money collectors are out of the loop on ebay and some auctions are selling some aren\'t..

When you say \"out of the loop\" - do you mean no longer using Ebay, and it\'s permanent?

Thanks for all the replies above, interesting to get other perspectives on it.

Not totally sure. I only do a little work anyway, always have. so I suppose I wouldn\'t notice. Saying that I am always advertising for work, the main problem is I dont really have a big Portfolio, or a rep. If anything I seem to be getting in a little more work recently, but then compared to some I am very cheap.

I couldn\'t begin to guess about the online market, myself. But my number of commissions is on the rise at a rather alarming rate. I have 7 on my workspace, right now, with a very large piece coming to me this weekend.

My own stuff is still getting worked on, too. I refuse to agree to deadlines on my commission stuff, because I don\'t want to stop enjoying painting. Also, I\'m just not that fast, to begin with. :)

I think it depends on your location. I l9ive in a relatively small town with a weak gaming community, and finding commissions is nearly impossible. Selling stuff on eBay has gotten harder, and I can\'t get nearly as much for my stuff as I used to.

On the other hand, I know some people who have so much work that they are farming it out to other painters. They live in L.A., so I\'m assuming that the higher population ( and wealth) of the area helps them a lot.

my repeat customers are mainly american and canadian, they are also very relaxed about time frame most of the time.

i showed ebay my arse some time ago as it\'s fees tied with the amount of painted minis on their means it\'s not realy worth the return unless you have a huge rep (and i say well done to any painter that can earn a fair bob on ebay through rep)

as prices of minis goes up as well as living costs and ebay fees a lot less people will be willing to paint on the side for a piddling little extra, which in turn will benefit any of the fulltime painters who are willing to stick it out (watch me get a real job where i have to be up every bloody morning doing as some arsehole thick prick commands, i\'m in this for the long haul.)

Originally posted by generulpoleaxe
    watch me get a real job where i have to be up every bloody morning ................
    C.W.B.A.F.T.
    LOL

Can\'t even get you up on a morning to go to a game show, you have to pull a 24 hour gig to be up on time. lol

Well I know that the US is in a \"recession,\" which basically means the media is scaring everyone into believing they need to save their money instead of spend it, so that is probably why the auctions are going for less. Parents are claiming they cannot afford to buy their young screaming headaches painted armies.

Originally posted by Jarrett
    Originally posted by demonherald
    A few of the big money collectors are out of the loop on ebay and some auctions are selling some aren\'t..

When you say \"out of the loop\" - do you mean no longer using Ebay, and it\'s permanent?

Thanks for all the replies above, interesting to get other perspectives on it.
    Who knows wether it\'s permanent just generally for a few months each year a couple of the big money buyers disappear and that does have an affect on sales of higher end stuff.. Also it is a funny time of year regards buying stuff for armies.. a lot of people are in mid tournament season so have all their stuff bought and are using it.....

I think the pound is affecting a lot of the overseas trade but at the same time I have customers in the US Canada Oz and Spain currently and they don\'t seem to be slowing..

I\'d be bidding and buying a shed load but i\'m waiting for a few long term commissions to get completed or I risk committing too much cash in advance.

Originally posted by squidders
    I\'d be bidding and buying a shed load but i\'m waiting for a few long term commissions to get completed or I risk committing too much cash in advance.
    Ah but are you working again?

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    C.W.B.A.F.T.
    ?

Originally posted by freakinacage
    C.W.B.A.F.T.
    ?
    Chance Would Be A Fine Thing.

Ain\'t you never heard that one, Tim?

Originally posted by freakinacage
    C.W.B.A.F.T.
    ?
    Chance Would Be A Fine Thing.

Ain\'t you never heard that one, Tim?
    you young folks with your funny terms!

I\'m still doing commissions and i do put the odd mini on ebay...but i kick myself everytime i do it...Its soooo hit and miss these days that i would be better off spending my time working on other projects but i still bloody do it...why is that? ???:redface:

Originally posted by squidders
    Ah but are you working again?
    Yeah, I got a new job middle of last month. Hurrah for being employed again!

Unfortunately I accumilated a huge list of things I \"must have\" such as a new lens for my camera, new tipi, new motorbike etc etc etc... it\'s never ending.

One of these days i\'m just going to jack it all in, fly out to siberia and live in a cabin.

I haven\'t noticed any slump in commission requests. Like demonherald, I regularly get asked to do more work than I could possibly handle. I abandoned eBay months ago due to increased fees and a large volume of commission work, so I can\'t speak as to what\'s going on there.

As of recently, I don\'t even take commissions anymore. To be blunt, even charging top dollar with plenty of work lined up, it\'s just not enough money per hour to make it worthwhile IMO. :)

Kep