what are your feelings on the olympics?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what are your feelings on the olympics?

Default what are your feelings on the olympics?

a wrestler runs off of stage pouting.

chinese girls are supposedly 13.

everyone nothing but talk about mike phelps.

china is put down by western media almost every day. (albeit much of it seems to be true)

honestly what happened to competition for competitions sake? what happened to congratulating your opponents on a job well done?

when i was a kid and got upset after losing a game i still shook hands with the other team and was grown up enough to take a loss.

i dont know its just how i feel. ppl need to grow up and stop whining and just play and have fun.

:(

Phelps deserves all he gets, he\'s an amazing athlete (who else saw his gold today?, awsome).

The wrestler shouldnt complain, its kindov his event to take pain so a little unfairness shouldn\'t bother him.

The chinse girls do look 13, but if they can compete to a high standard and are there by thier own free will i dont see why they shouldnt compete.

I know that if i ever lose or win a competition i always go and shake the other guy(or girls) hand and congratulate them on their performance.

Alex

I\'ve been paying no attention to them, at all. I think they\'re ridiculous.

Anyone see that Russian boxer lose to the Ukranian? (Welterweight I think)

The ref held up the winner\'s arm at the end, then brought them down to shake.

The Ukranian held out his hand, and the Russian just turned away.

All the other fights I saw before and after, the fighters shook hands and embraced (MANLY HUGS :D) like you would after a fair bout.

(PS. The countries bear no relevance to my example - it\'s merely what I saw)

Originally posted by DaN

All the other fights I saw before and after, the fighters shook hands and embraced (MANLY HUGS :D) like you would after a fair bout.

Aparrently both boxers arrived in T-34\'s............just in case.......

Originally posted by DaN

I think I heard that when I was painting -- the sportscaster reporting commented with something like, \"Well that was a very poor display of sportsmanship...\"

Few thoughts on this:
    Phelps deserves the press, he has earned it. Anyone who has won more gold than any other person EVER, and has broken the current record (world or olympic) in the event every single time should be covered.

The sportscasters have done a lot of talking about how gracious and welcoming the Chinese have been.

Liukin and Johnson going 1-2 in the Women\'s All Around was awesome to watch, despite how late it was.

As for the alleged 13y/o chinese gymnasts: The commies always cheat. Always. (though if they have the skills, let them compete, I say).

Did anyone see the story of the artist who designed the mascots and logo?

Great story there. The logo is from the chinese symbol \"Jing\" in honor of the name of the host city. Cool huh?

I quite enjoy watching peopel achieve their life goals, whatever counttry they are from.

Aside from that, I\'m a great basketball fan, and follow both the mens and womens closely, made somewhat easier by the fact the the US teams are dominating.

Originally posted by Thunderhawker
    As for the alleged 13y/o chinese gymnasts: The commies always cheat. Always. (though if they have the skills, let them compete, I say).
    Unfortunately it\'s not just skills.
    Women\'s gymnastics rewards a low center of mass, extreme flexibility, and small size. Puberty counteracts all that. My suspicion is that in the absence of age limits, most high-performers would be ages 12 - 16 (immediately pre-puberty). It is the only recognized sport (of which I am aware) in which this is true.
    My little sister was a gymnast.

Now what we should do about it? Grin and bear it, be the better sportsman. Everyone in the world knows they are cheating as well do they.

The 100m final for track & field was quite astonishing. 9.69 seconds and he was coasting the last 10m.

From a British point of view, Paula Radcliffe managing to finish the marathon despite still recovering from a stress fracture in the leg also showed great determination and as the commentator said \"olympic spirit\".

Originally posted by Roger Bunting
    The 100m final for track & field was quite astonishing. 9.69 seconds and he was coasting the last 10m.

From a British point of view, Paula Radcliffe managing to finish the marathon despite still recovering from a stress fracture in the leg also showed great determination and as the commentator said \"olympic spirit\".
    I also quite enjoyed the Women\'s marathon, actually wayched the whole thing, which is weird because it is so long. And hey, no Silverstone Priest this time!

Originally posted by Evil Dave
    Unfortunately it\'s not just skills.
    Women\'s gymnastics rewards a low center of mass, extreme flexibility, and small size. Puberty counteracts all that. My suspicion is that in the absence of age limits, most high-performers would be ages 12 - 16 (immediately pre-puberty). It is the only recognized sport (of which I am aware) in which this is true.
    My little sister was a gymnast.

Now what we should do about it? Grin and bear it, be the better sportsman. Everyone in the world knows they are cheating as well do they.
    Possibly an incredibly daft question, but why is this cheating?

Shaz

Originally posted by Fizl
    Possibly an incredibly daft question, but why is this cheating?

Shaz
    Because the rules implicitly state that the girls must be 16 by the time of the Olympics. Prepubescent girls have a very distinct advantage over post pubescent girls.

By lying about the girls ages to get the advantage and around the rules it is cheating and against the spirit of the game.

Now should we lower the age limits? Not for me to say, but I do find pushing girls that young into Olympian standards instead of just letting them be little girls to be a bit self serving and cruel.

Originally posted by BarstoolProphet
    I\'ve been paying no attention to them, at all. I think they\'re ridiculous.
    the olympic games are rediculous? please explain

i havent had the chance to watch much but we tend to have it on in the background during breaks at work. i really enjoy the competative atmosphere

i find it such a shame that the stadiums etc often aren\'t sustainable and often go into total disrepair after. in a world where recycling and carbon footprints are so important, it amazes me that so much is built for one use. has anyone seen pics of the stuff at athens now? there was an article in a magazine about it and they have just let some of it get overrun so its all covered in rubbish and weeds. having said that, the olympics have apparently greatly improved the public transport system..hmm

The olympics are great .. True there is more and more of the political interests intruding but let\'s face it China have been a bit naughty at times... But I can watch just about any of the olympic sports and enjoy them,.. Even more fun is hearing the commentators come up with new and interesting ways to excuse GB from winning before they start ..just in case..

And This rocks....
    BBC monkey vid

I have no interest in watching the Olympics! I think it\'s just a big corporate money making exercise. While I respect the athletes, I don\'t dig that MacDonalds and various other big corporate giants sponsor and make a packet off this event. The amount of dollars that must go in to the big opening ceremonies and the displacement of residents to make way for stadiums etc is a disgrace! Also the sweeping under the carpet of homeless people that goes on is wrong on so many levels. This kinda stuff went on when Australia last held the Commonwealth Games.

This is just my opinion. I don\'t expect you to agree with me.

Originally posted by laurence
    I have no interest in watching the Olympics! I think it\'s just a big corporate money making exercise. While I respect the athletes, I don\'t dig that MacDonalds and various other big corporate giants sponsor and make a packet off this event. The amount of dollars that must go in to the big opening ceremonies and the displacement of residents to make way for stadiums etc is a disgrace!
    i agree but without sponsorship i dont think they would have enough revenue to get things done

The commies always cheat. Always.
    The cappies never cheat? http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.html

Explain why I think the Olympic Games are ridiculous?

To start with, the idea that the Olympics are about sportsmanship amuses me, considering the origins of the games. The Olympics were originally a display of the skills of the warriors. A way for the districts, or provinces, or countries, or whatever to say \'Look what a bad idea it would be to invade us. See how good we are?\' without having to actually say it.

The modern games, to me, stopped being remotely interesting when they started caring more about who they could catch cheating with steroids, or blood doping, or whatever other performance enhancing methods they have, than about the spirit of competition.

Note, \'spirit of competition\', not \'sportsmanship\', not \'international brotherhood\'. This is, I think, and important distinction. One can be competetive, and be a lousy sportsman. Most really competetive people I know are, in fact, dumb-asses.

Yet, here in North America (I can\'t speak for other countries/continents), our athletes are also expected to be \'role models\'. Poor bastards. Particularly the men. \"We want you to exercise your ass off, generating an average of five times the testosterone a normal man generates, control the aggressive tendencies that generates, and keep smiling and being nice whenever some idiot shoves a camera in your face.\"

Then, too, there was the shift, decades back (when I really lost interest entirely), when the games stopped being about amateur athletes. If memory serves correctly (and it may not, because it\'s been a long time), it started with basketball, and NBA players going to the Olympics to sweep their games.

Now, I also have to grant that I don\'t watch professional sports, either. I think watching sports in general is a waste of time. I\'d rather play them. I don\'t understand the sports fanatic mentality.

I completely fail to understand why I should be pleased or disappointed if team A beats team B and gets into the play-offs. Similarly, with the Olympics, I fail to understand why I should be pleased if athlete A wins a gold or comes in dead last.

I don\'t feel that these are relevant things in my life. I appreciate and admire great athletes. Don\'t misunderstand me, here. It takes more effort than I can imagine to qualify for the Olympics, and kudos to them all for getting there. But I just can\'t help but feel that all the money they dump into the games could be spent on more useful things. Like education, or law enforcement.

Toronto was prepared, a few years back (8? 12? I forget) to spend millions of dollars on new stadiums just to host the games, after which it was possible that they\'d just stand there and not get any kind of regular use again. And this was being considered when our police force was screaming for funds, or fire department was screaming for new vehicles, and who knows what else? If we had the money to blow on stadiums and seating, then shouldn\'t it be used on something we KNOW we need, instead of a once-in-a-(insert era here) opportunity to host a bunch of sporting events?

Olympic fever? I\'ll pass, thanks.

Damnit BarstoolProphet....well said, thats exactly what I think about sports too.
    I rather do them myself and have fun.

Add to Beijing Olympics:

I saw a South Korean and a North Korean Soft Gunner shake hands. A honest friendly handshake, whereas it wasn\'t even necessary (others didn\'t). That was so far the best I have seen...