M1A2 Abrams MBT conversion to Imperial Guard (From painting and conversion board) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1A2 Abrams MBT conversion to Imperial Guard (From painting and conversion board)

@DR - ?? DiNozzo from NCIS? I am confused :P lol

Anyway - I scratched up a dataslate from some plasticard and GS, gonna see what it looks like later today.

Originally posted by DaN
    @DR - ?? DiNozzo from NCIS? I am confused :P lol
    Yep, the head smack gets referred to as a DiNozzo.

Ahhh k :)
    Mmmm Abby :innocent:

very nice sculpting job on the right arm and hand. This should look sweet when its complete!

Ta - we\'ll see how bad, I mean good :P it looks when painted!

Turret almost finished.
    Incidentally - anyone any ideas what sorta colours to do the tank crew?

I\'m thinking of doing uniform light grey/blue and helmet black... ?

Track skirts

Turret almost done

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

You\'re really humming along with this DaN. I like the symbols you\'ve chosen. For the tank crew colors blue and grey sounds good but what colors are you going to use on the symbols and what kind of terrain is it \"going to go in\". that would make a difference as to the colors to choose.

I\'m just gonna have it in regular grassy terrain - fair bit of mud etc.

The symbols are gonna keep fairly dark so as not to stand out TOO much - the serpent is gonna be tin bitz edged with dwarven brass - I may go the IG symbol the same.

Just a bit or green stuffing to do (Small gaps, the TC\'s hand, and the pintle mount for the storm bolter to go, then the whole thing is ready for paint)

Started weathering...
    This look ok?

Rear

Left

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Love the mud. Darken it up good around that fuel cap. A drop of diesel always makes it darker there and collects grime.

Hinges either have too much grease and black goop running out of them - or not enough and rust in the hinge.

Handles usually have the paint worn off and are shiney.

Hatch areas have boot traffic - grime and blackness in the path to the hatch.

And that is after just a day or two in the field.

Aye - I\'ve really just started from the tracks at the moment - working my way across, rivet by rivet :P

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Lookin\' good. The mud is really good! Don\'t go getting lazy now. Do the rivets right! ;)

Ok, the hull is pretty much done, but I\'d appreciate some tips from anyone who may know the layout of the Abrams...

Specifically where crew would mount to get in and out.

Also - there appears to be THREE caps - and if anyone could tell me what they are for it would be appreciated :)

Originally posted by DaN
    Ok, the hull is pretty much done, but I\'d appreciate some tips from anyone who may know the layout of the Abrams...

Specifically where crew would mount to get in and out.

Also - there appears to be THREE caps - and if anyone could tell me what they are for it would be appreciated :)
    The three caps are all fuel points. There are three fuel tanks on the M1. Two are in the front, they sit on either side of the drivers station with a seperate cap on each (the two in front), the third is a saddle tank that takes up space on both the left and the right of the hull section, around the engine areas. This is filled by the third cap in the rear. The M1 can carry nearly 505 gallons of fuel, fully loaded. This only gets it around 300 miles though.
    :D
    As far as getting on/off, jumping off any lower area, usually the front slope, is the most common. Getting on is a little trickier. You\'ll notice a \"rope\" or metal braid sticking out from under the front armor skirt. This is a foot step-up. There\'s a handle built into the hull armor just above that. You grab that handle, stick your foot into the loop and stand/pull yourself up onto the hull.

You can also get up in the rear by grabbing the rear gas cap or around the side of the rear taillight housing as a hand hold while putting your foot into the rear sprocket well and lift yourself up that way.

Hope that help!

That mud looks awesome, keep up the good work.:beer:

Some updates - starting on the turret now - got some extra details to glue into the baggage racks etc...

Sweet tank :-)

I found a cool videoon youtube with a Japanese guy building a very sweet Tiger.
    You´re gonna love the weathering he did. :-)

part1:
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=leHsaAkjje0&feature=related

part2:
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lEkDrwRz4&feature=related

Awwwww, I wish I had an airbrush! :P lol

Shame I don\'t speak Japanese, but I liked the idea of using the pencil right near the end.

I dunno if I can be arsed with pastels myself though :/

This looks very nice, but it almost looks too... well... \"well designed\" to be IG. This has... welded parts, and sloped armor, and a hull-down profile, and all that good stuff. Whereas everyone knows Imperial war machines are all right angles, shot traps and WWI-era riveting technology. Why? Because the Imperium is run by retards.

/pet peeve

EXACTLY why I wanted to convert it :D lol

But I know what you mean.

I plan on converting some more vehicles later on, including a DeHavilland Sea Vixen D110 :D:D:D