GW Price Increase on Horizon
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GW Price Increase on Horizon

Default GW Price Increase on Horizon

Apologies if anyone has already posted about this. (Or if the info from this other forum is unreliable.)

GW price hike announced to retailers.

\"GW blisters are expected to go up about 25%\" !!!! Damn things are expensive enough! :mad: Paints too!

Thanks for the \'heads up\' on this, i will try to get to my local GW before the 29th, and then...probably never return....lol

I knew this was going to happen for some time but as I have already spent all my pocket money I won\'t be able to buy any more.:flame:
    And the only reason that they aren\'t bringing plastic model costs up is because they are making something like a 200% profit on them already.

As mentioned this is not really a surprise after all they have greedy shareholders to pay out to but 25% increase on blisters and boxes containing metal mini\'s lol
    \"The world is in recession so lets screw ourselves while we can then when we go under and fail to make a profit anymore the board can sit back and wonder why\".

Blog Entries

And everybody Drink:beer:

They\'ve stripped everything back, streamlined, and ramped up their prices. Their turnover is still effectively going down the tubes, but they\'ve staved off disaster for the moment.

Whacking prices up by 25% is a ludicrous decision. They\'re in no position to take the piss like that.

it also mentions paints going up. The paints are one of the few things i buy from gw reguarly.:no:

Originally posted by Thecadian
    it also mentions paints going up. The paints are one of the few things i buy from gw reguarly.:no:
    Well there is always Maelstrom Games they regularly discount by about 10% as well as bigger discounts on Ebay when the newer stuff comes out.

My local GW gave me these \"rough\" figures.

Paints are going up to £2.25

Codex\'s to £15 although no one is sure how many of existing ones it effects.

I\'m assuming core rulebooks will stay the same.

Metal mini\'s are 15-25% i think.

Originally posted by Kaine

My local GW gave me these \"rough\" figures.

Paints are going up to £2.25

Codex\'s to £15 although no one is sure how many of existing ones it effects.

I\'m assuming core rulebooks will stay the same.

Metal mini\'s are 15-25% i think.
    am so glad I have changed to Vallejo and Andrea paints, more paint for less money and IMO better paint.

Five or ten years ago this would have been a big thing for GW but now I can\'t see it affecting stuff nearly as much . The fact that most of the models you need in any great volume are made in plastic, which won\'t be affected, and you only need the odd metal mini for special stuff kind of makes the increase of a few pounds slightly more trivial. If you use the example of a Space Marine army, GW\'s most popular and the next one to be released, you could buy pretty much the entire thing in plastic. The only metal components would be characters and possibly veterans. So for an army costing £150 or so before you might be paying £155 after the price hike. Obviously some armies are going to be more affected than others, SoB players are pretty much screwed lol

Going on the frequency that I run out of paints I can\'t see 25p making the blindest bit of difference. By the same token how often do people buy new codices?

I\'m not really trying to champion GW\'s cause here, price rises stull suck but as hikes go this one isn\'t really the ball breaker some people seem to think it is. Now if they were to do the same to plastics (which is bound to happen somewhere in the near future) then it would be a different matter.

I\'m glad I already have my daemonhunters army.

it\'s what happens when people can control a market, and by that i mean tin.

a lot of it is being kept off the market to artificialy raise it\'s price, just like what is done with diamonds.

looks my planned lines will be resin (except the historical line)

Yeah, as much as I dislike GW marketing, the cost of metal minis has nothing to do with them. Reaper is putting out a new line of tin-free minis precisely because Indonesia wants to artificially control the worldwide price of tin. Hopefully this will eventually mean stable prices, but I think our hobby is going to get more expensive before it gets cheaper.

Everyone knows the price of petrol and especially metal and oil are going through the roof and to think that GW can suffer the cost in production and distribution is absurd.

GW need to make a profit or they will go under and what would happen to our hobby then? I would happily pay 200% more if it was a choice between paying a lot of a hobby i love or the company that provide the hobby going under.

“Ask not what GW can do for you but what you can do for GW”

And if you are that annoyed about the price raise DONT DO THE HOBBY. It is a luxury after all.

Rant over

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by nunu
    Everyone knows the price of petrol and especially metal and oil are going through the roof and to think that GW can suffer the cost in production and distribution is absurd.

GW need to make a profit or they will go under and what would happen to our hobby then? I would happily pay 200% more if it was a choice between paying a lot of a hobby i love or the company that provide the hobby going under.

And if you are that annoyed about the price raise DONT DO THE HOBBY. It is a luxury after all.

Rant over
    This seems a bit harsh over a bit of general grumbling, don\'t you think? No one here will NOT buy something they need but everyone mutters about prices now and then and a 25% hike is pretty high. I don\'t think you\'ll find that people dissagree with the need for a price jump. Just the size of this one. Lighten up a bit.

Rant over
    gw isn\'t the hobby mate, they have improved standards of sculpting (otherwise the fantasy side would still be where the historical gaming minis are at) and they bring a lot of publicity towards gaming and modelling.
    but if they went under another would take their place, it\'s the way of the world.

Still Drinking :beer::drunk::drunk:

Any how, didn\'t GW say something about raising the price because of the new Starter box, or something?

Rant over
    So, how long have you worked for GW?

There\'s a reason I haven\'t bought from GW since I had the volunteer discount at Toronto GD..