Ork biker nob (second mini on the site, and first post on the forums!)

Thread: Ork biker nob (second mini on the site, and first post on the forums!)

Default Ork biker nob (second mini on the site, and first post on the forums!)

Hi, I just read a comment on a mini suggesting that the creator go to the forum for more comments, so here I am.

My latest mini, painted for the latest LO painting contest (in about one month). I tried to pay extreme attention to detail, and make color transitions as smooth as possible.

It currently has a 5.7, whilst this (http://coolminiornot.com/199218) gets a 6.0. This kinda confuses me. Is there something I\'m missing?

Anyway, explainations, comments, and critisism are all welcome.

Sorry if I sound whiny :P

Ok, first: yes, posting on the forums will probably get you more comments. For even more, you can post in the WIP section as you work on a mini. That way you can get advice and tips as you go along.

Second: Overall, it looks like a solid and clean paint job, but the photo looks a little dark. Trying getting photos on a darker background (grey, dark grey or even black) as the white seems to be overpowering the mini and obscuring some of the details.

Third: don\'t worry about scores. Scores won\'t help you improve. They can be a way to kind of gauge your progress from mini to mini, but focus on getting feedback and advice to help you improve.

Thanks for the quick response. I will definately try using a darker background next time. I work waaaaay too slow to keep up a decent WIP log. I also seem to have painting ADD.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by chaos877
    Thanks for the quick response. I will definately try using a darker background next time. I work waaaaay too slow to keep up a decent WIP log. I also seem to have painting ADD.
    Look at some of the wip logs and you will notice that some of them are as scatter brained as your average nursing home inmate. You also have a set amount of blog space to use too if you want.

Scores mean nothing once you get into the forums. Impressing the people in here with your improvement will soon mean a lot more than getting a slightly better score.

Have you read the article about GIMP? There is one about photoshop too. They should help with the color balancing. As it stands, the greens and reds all look one shade with little or no highlighting and shading. The metal work on the back of the bike looks good to me but the picture gets a little fuzzy. Some of the more knowledgeable people will be on in the morning and you may get more info.

Also, the more comments you give, the more you are likely to get.
    Votey Link

Ahhh but the reds are one shade! I just get lazy when it comes to red. ;P

Originally posted by johnboyjjb
    Look at some of the wip logs and you will notice that some of them are as scatter brained as your average nursing home inmate.
    lol look at all my wips!! i dont think i have fifnished any of them!! yet

it\'s a solid paintjob but it\'s just plain. needs more contrast to make it pop. you wont win any contests (worth winning) if you just put one layer down of any colour! also, it\'s an ork bike, dirty it up a little - rust, mud, oil etc

try blackening the ends of the exhausts for a start. get some turps/lighter fluid/surgical spirit and apply to the end of the pipes. then when it is still a little damp, dust on some black pastel/charcoal. you would be suprised how effective this is. oh, ond dont do that until after it is varnished!

Scores are like the stock market... don\'t fret about the score of any given model, but instead strive for an upward trend. Sometimes the first 50 people to see your mini just won\'t like it. Sometimes they\'ll like it way more than they should.

As to the biker, he looks like he might be good, but it\'s really hard to tell from the photo. Your photography needs to be unforgivingly clear to get an accurate read on the painting quality. Your ork skin may be beautifully painted, but in that photo I can\'t tell if I\'m looking at highlighting in the painting or just the local lighting.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by hakoMike
    Scores are like the stock market... don\'t fret about the score of any given model, but instead strive for an upward trend. Sometimes the first 50 people to see your mini just won\'t like it. Sometimes they\'ll like it way more than they should.
    That is the best view of scores I\'ve seen in years.

The red does look a little flat. I think a highlight up to Blood Red or a reddish orange would help define it more. Try highlighting a touch brighter on the other colors too, as right now the mini looks a bit dark.

It\'s a good paintjob. Don\'t pay much attention to the scores. They won\'t help you like forum advise can :)

-Matt

I\'ve tried messing around with it with photobuckets\' editing tools, and I think I may have made it a helluva lot better, or ruined it. Also: has nobody noticed the faux-SENMM? metallics + outdoor photography = SENMM, my style ;)

P.S. Thanks to all for the encouragement! :beer::beer::beer::drunk:
    Right, forgot to ask: is this photo better?

Ahhh but the reds are one shade! I just get lazy when it comes to red. ;P
    How can you say that, but question why the score is lower than you think it should be?
    Don\'t be lazy with your reds(or any colors), keep working at them and they\'ll get better. Keep practicing, and posting on here, and contact some of your favorite painters. It never hurts to try to contact them, most of them will probably help you out and answer your questions. And as mentioned earlier, use the WIP forum, get feedback as you\'re working.

Keep it up.:beer:

For lazy reds, mix a bit of black to shade, or for more fun reds, mix in the complementary color: green; or try mixing a dark blue or dark brown for cooler or warmer shadows.

For warmer highlights just add some orange.