Scratchbuilt Stained Glass Windows

Thread: Scratchbuilt Stained Glass Windows

Default Scratchbuilt Stained Glass Windows

Had to make a dozen or so windows for a terrain project, here is how I did it.

Materials used were wireform mesh, Woodland Scenics water effects, clear tape, felt tipped pens, Grandt Line gothic windows.

First thing was painting the mesh black, sinces leaded glass is black.
    Next I cut the mesh to the rough size of the windows.
    Following that i put a piece of clear tape on the mesh, flip it over, and work the water effects into the mesh, and allow to dry.
    Next day, carefully peal the tape off of the reverse of the window.
    Next I colored in the individual panes with the markers.
    Finally, trim to match the frames, and glue in place.

Fantastic idea! Looks great.

-Matt

How simple and effective.

Much apprieciated.

good stuff. you should do this as an article.

two questions:
    did you attach the sticky side of the tape to the lead? if so how did you stop the water effects from sticking to it?

where\'s the window frame from

BRILLIANT!! Love it when there is such an effective and SIMPLE answer.

Groooooovy - can someone give me a link where to find the \"Grandt Line gothic windows\"? :)

ok i missed that part but the other questions still stand!

Very cool! I agree, it\'d be nice to see this permanently archived in the articles section.

I don\'t know if they sell them in the UK but Sharpie makes a full range of colored permanent markers even metallics now that would be pretty cool for something like this. I really like what you did here I\'ve wondered about ways to accomplish something like this before. Now somebody take the next step and do up a stained glass mosaic :)

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

I tried something similar with the plastic canvas used for yarn cross stitching (make coasters/boxes, etc.) It did not work as well as the expanded metal you\'ve used.

The plastic canvas (in black) looks pretty good without trying to do \"glass\" in it.

Originally posted by freakinacage
    good stuff. you should do this as an article.

two questions:
    did you attach the sticky side of the tape to the lead? if so how did you stop the water effects from sticking to it?

where\'s the window frame from
    Thanks for the kind words guys.
    As for the question about the sticky side, it goes directly onto the screen. When you apply the water effects, it pretty much cancels out the adhesive on the tape, it\'s quite easy to pull apart when dry.

Here is a link to the Grandt Line site, they have lots of bits for houses, but no online store. Lots of model railroad places have them though.
    http://www.grandtline.com/architectural_parts/ho%20scale/ho_scale_architectural_index.htm

Oh by the way, another term for that wire mesh is car body repair mesh - available from places like Motabitz, Halfords etc

Originally posted by DaN
    Oh by the way, another term for that wire mesh is car body repair mesh - available from places like Motabitz, Halfords etc
    Yeah, that too.
    The stuff I used I got from a craft store. You can pick it up at art supply as well.
    You could probably use window screening as well, but I went for the craft stuff because it is diamond shaped rather than squared.
    Here is what I used.
    http://www.dickblick.com/zz334/08/