Nice wood blocks for bases?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice wood blocks for bases?

Default Nice wood blocks for bases?

This feels like a stupid question but is there a good source for the nice quality wood blocks a lot of people use to base their minis (affordable source)?

Like this one

Orc

dragonforge\'s site is brilliant. good quality stuff too

Originally posted by freakinacage
    dragonforge\'s site is brilliant. good quality stuff too
    Yeah, THESE are excellent! Affordable, good looking with a nice finish and a simple design that works for everything.

Cool. Just ordered a batch from him. I was wondering if there are some lower cost alternatives but that\'s probably wishful thinking :D

Originally posted by Jarrett
    Cool. Just ordered a batch from him. I was wondering if there are some lower cost alternatives but that\'s probably wishful thinking :D
    Yeah, probably. I haven\'t seen any cheaper alternatives, at least.

i havent found cheaper. let me know if you do!

By the way, I dont mean to imply DF\'s are too expensive - they are priced right for the quality. Was just curious if there are \"lower quality wood blocks\" out there too :)

yep I agree DF\'s are the best I\'ve come across.. one questio does anyone know where to get those different more natural looking type with the wood knots etc in????

Also a cheap source can be childrens building blocks , a little sanding and a paint finish and they can be great. avoid any with letters on though.. can be a real bitch to eradicte any evidence.....:beer:

I think they come with some assembly required. I believe they\'re called trees. :P

Originally posted by demonherald
    yep I agree DF\'s are the best I\'ve come across.. one questio does anyone know where to get those different more natural looking type with the wood knots etc in????
    Hi Rob,

Im always looking out for wood like that myself. Problem is by the time the wood gets to my sources they have cut out all the nasty stuff to deliver furniture quality lumber. I need to find the time to take a trip out to a local saw mill to pick through the cut offs pile to see what they have. It just involves a whole days trip.

Coueron, Pays De La Loire, France, France

Hi,

A friend makes and sell wooden bases for minis.

See the links:
    http://www.chevaliers-du-centaure.org/?Informations:Socles_en_bois_Jean-Jacques_Gagneux

and some exemples:
    http://picasaweb.google.fr/Chevaliers.du.Centaure/JeanJacques#

Your friend makes very nice bases. I envy people who have better and more tools than I do to make them :)

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    Originally posted by demonherald
    Hi Rob,

Im always looking out for wood like that myself. Problem is by the time the wood gets to my sources they have cut out all the nasty stuff to deliver furniture quality lumber. I need to find the time to take a trip out to a local saw mill to pick through the cut offs pile to see what they have. It just involves a whole days trip.
    hmm there\'s timber yard up the road from here maybe I should go pester them for the bits they cut out????

And one more to throw into the mix:
    http://www.miniaturebases.com/wordpress/

Page looks a bit inactive, but he\'s maybe still selling them?

Hi Jarret,

Paul Thompson from Just Bases does stuff for me, i ask for nice simple bases and i get em at very good prices 75p 40mm cubes, £1.50 for 60mm cubes, he will do any size or shape and has done more complex things from drawings iv sent him and i often get freebies :D

quick pic of my stash at the mo

give him a bell, order a few bits off him, ask for some samples and see wot u think!

and tell him scouse John sent you lol

Cool will check him out!

Grab a chainsaw and come to Louisiana.
    Take as many as you like.

Originally posted by Jarrett
    Page looks a bit inactive, but he\'s maybe still selling them?
    He is, I think three of the slayer sword winners this year used Wayne\'s bases.