Open painting in West Michigan

Thread: Open painting in West Michigan

Default Open painting in West Michigan

Just wanted to announce that there will be open painting at Rider\'s Hobby Shop on Sat. Oct. 4 from 1-4pm. Sometimes it\'s easier to get stuff done if one can get away from the distractions at home. All scales, all subjects, all materials, all skill levels welcome. :flip:

Yeah, it\'s a long shot, but if you live in the area come on out. If you know anyone in the area, please pass on the information. :bouncy:

Which Rider\'s Hobby shop? I know of the one in Livonia but the last time I was there they had completely gotten out of painting and gaming.

If you post some details I will put them up on my forum as we features SW Ontario and MI events.

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    Which Rider\'s Hobby shop? I know of the one in Livonia but the last time I was there they had completely gotten out of painting and gaming.

If you post some details I will put them up on my forum as we features SW Ontario and MI events.
    They cut way back on their plastic kits too. Really no reason to go there anymore. Sad too, there was such a good little pocket of stores within 5 miles of each other, between that riders, imperial hobby, Nankin Hardware, Pandemonium, and the other game store who\'s initials I can\'t remember. Most are now less than gamer friendly. Pandemonium is still good though.

I don\'t know Pandamonium, you have an address? I don\'t know about imperial hobby or Nankin Hardware either, but if they aren\'t worth it I won\'t even worry about it.

The one I frequent the most often in that area is RIW hobies. They still have a great selection of minis and games and their prices are very reasonable. I used to also hit a Comic Book shop by 5 Mile that used to have Gaming and Roleplaying, they did a lot of old movie memorabilia too, but they closed. There was on on Inkster too, but that closed years ago, and lastly one on 7 Mile and Merriman called Marry7 that also closed down when the ccg market bottomed up.

You guys still have it better then over here. We have one good FLGS here, and if you want another option, the closest store is 45 minutes away and isn\'t so hot. The nearest \'nest\' of stores is about 2 hours away in London (which would be why I have found some shops on your side of the river).

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    I don\'t know Pandamonium, you have an address? I don\'t know about imperial hobby or Nankin Hardware either, but if they aren\'t worth it I won\'t even worry about it.

The one I frequent the most often in that area is RIW hobies. They still have a great selection of minis and games and their prices are very reasonable. I used to also hit a Comic Book shop by 5 Mile that used to have Gaming and Roleplaying, they did a lot of old movie memorabilia too, but they closed. There was on on Inkster too, but that closed years ago, and lastly one on 7 Mile and Merriman called Marry7 that also closed down when the ccg market bottomed up.

You guys still have it better then over here. We have one good FLGS here, and if you want another option, the closest store is 45 minutes away and isn\'t so hot. The nearest \'nest\' of stores is about 2 hours away in London (which would be why I have found some shops on your side of the river).
    Pandemonium is great, they have a open large gaming center with daily games, hobby supplies, about every Reaper sku there is (about 10 times what RIW does, CCG, plus a lot of other stuff. It\'s right off of Ford Road.
    1858 Middlebelt
    Garden City, MI 48135
    http://www.pandemonium-online.com/

Imperial hobbies is about a mile west of there on Ford road. Good source for books and plastic kits, plus paints. But it is a shadow of itself. Used to be a great place for 20% off GW, but it\'s pretty sparse these days. They\'ve looked like they were going out of business for about a year now. They still carry some Gw, mostly the new release stuff.

Nankin Hardware is about 2 miles west of there on Ford road, so all three are close enough to each other to make the trip worthwhile, just under 10 minutes apart. Nankin used to deal in GW, but no more. Still, they are about the best store around for plastic kits, model railroad which is good for scenery, plus RC, paint, and hardware. I actually go there quite a bit, mostly for hobby supply, they are great for that.

All of these stores are about 3 or 4 miles south of the Livonia Riders and RW.

Riders hobby in Taylor sells some wargames stuff, but less than what they used to have at Livonia. They do have paint, a lot of warmachine and books, model RR. It\'s not far from I-75, about 5 minutes west on Northline Rd. Lastly is the GW store at Great lakes crossing, but it\'s about an hour from the bridge, that\'s quite a ways off.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I will toss these on the local shops part of my website when I get a chance. I\'ll also try to make a trip Stateside sometime soon and check these places out for myself.

Just thought of something.

Years back before Great Lakes Crossing was Built there used to be a Hobby shop across the street from the big mall just off I-75 North, used to be the biggest mall in the area. I remember getting a ton of stuff there are really good prices. It might have been a Rider.

I also used to get brought to Alcove Hobby in Royal Oak for my birthday as they were the closest place to get GW stuff back when the nearest Retail Store was in Toronto and the independant retailers were known as Rogue Trader Stores. That place still exist?

I\'m guessing it\'s the Grand Rapids store. I\'ve been out there a couple times, but it\'s a loooong drive from Ypsilanti.

Lately I\'ve been driving out to Munith for GW and PP games. The place is called \"Planeswalker\'s Magic Bag\" and it\'s definitely a gamer friendly place. The only problem is the location... Munith: it may be a long drive, but at least it\'s in the middle of nowhere!

Any clue how far Munith is from the Bridge or Tunnel?

Oh Wow, I just noticed your avatar is a cleaver!!! For some reason every other time I had looked at it I saw it as this odd skinny guy, bull legged, hunched over cradling something. The edges of the Cleaver were the legs, the shadow at the point feet, the handle a body, etc. Not sure what just flipped in my head that I now see the real picture. Odd.

Oops, sorry to take so long in replying. Yes, it\'s the Grand Rapids Rider\'s. They still have minis and GW paints in stock there.

My husband and I moved from the Detroit area a little over a year ago and I miss my Detroit area club so I\'d like to start a painting club over here. Just an informal kind of thing - no dues or anything like that. Unfortunately, I don\'t know anyone else who paints in the GR area, so I figured open painting is a good start. Rider\'s is nice enough to provide a place to meet.

Yeah, it\'s a couple hours from Ypsi...

If you want to buy Vallejo, Michigan Toy Soldier has them in stock (no minis though). My \"old\" club (I\'m still president :D) meets there every Thursday evening for open painting.

Not sure about Royal Oak, don\'t get out to that part of town very often. When I was in college, there were a few good gaming stores in Ann Arbor, but I\'m too old to go to that town now. Any ideas Mike?

Wendy, thats a great idea, I\'m sure it will get the ball rolling. The guy who works the miniatures section probably runs the stores open gaming, and should be able to tell you who the painters are in the area. Best of luck.