Passing Time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing Time

Default Passing Time

This week’s been different for me in a number of ways as I’ve been on a training course (difficult one at that!).
    Normally my daily routine is to travel by car to my work but this week it’s been Train to Manchester Piccadilly station, then to Salford Quays.
    Now in order to get there the first day I left with plenty of time in hand and after checking the Trams to Salford Quay found I had an hour to spare.
    Under normal circumstances I always travel in this manner with a book to read or a sketchpad. (I have the kind of mentality that needs me to keep occupied with something). Monday, I forgot both. D’oh.

W.H.Smiths’ had nothing that even vaguely interested me, magazine wise, and I wasn’t going to pick up a newspaper, I have enough depression to cope with thank you.

So sitting with a cup of Costa Coffee’s finest I occupied my time (and what little brain I have) in a pastime I use to keep myself amused/occupied...............PEOPLE WATCHING.

I know that a good friend of mine sometimes plays “Keep or Kull” (:D) in the same circumstances, but I was wondering if anyone else just observes people.
    Ok, I’m not talking about “clocking” whether a girl has got a nice bum, boobs or whatever, which is completely different process, :rolleyes: :innocent: but just looking at people and studying their differing faces, postures and interactions.

It’s something that I was wondering if anyone else does?
    Or am I far stranger that you realised?

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Normally my daily routine is to travel by car to my work but this week it’s been Train to Manchester Piccadilly station, then to Salford Quays.
    Hey, have a pasty from Gregg\'s near the entrance to the station for me would you? :)

So sitting with a cup of Costa Coffee’s finest I occupied my time (and what little brain I have) in a pastime I use to keep myself amused/occupied...............PEOPLE WATCHING.

I know that a good friend of mine sometimes plays “Keep or Kull” (:D) in the same circumstances, but I was wondering if anyone else just observes people.
    Ok, I’m not talking about “clocking” whether a girl has got a nice bum, boobs or whatever, which is completely different process, :rolleyes: :innocent: but just looking at people and studying their differing faces, postures and interactions.

It’s something that I was wondering if anyone else does?
    Yes, all the time. It\'s one of my favourite things to do when on holiday especially with such a different group of people to look at.

During phases of sculpting I do this more for practical reasons - spotting an interesting facial structure, ear placement, hip/waist arrangement can be very inspiring when you\'re in that sort of mode.

Einion

lol.. people watching, my partner bless her, does this all the time with the embarrising part of her comments being just a tad too loud. And not something you admit to doing if sitting there with partner at a coffee shop as you then get accused of all sorts of ideas. lol.
    But yes, I imagine just about everybody does it as the human race is very diverse.
    But have you noticed, there seems to be a limited (albeit in its 1000s) number of molds. So may people look the same as in size colouring and looks. or is it just me..lol

I know that a good friend of mine sometimes plays “Keep or Kull” (:D) in the same circumstances...
    Another good game is one that can be played in the pub: watch the ladies as they come out of the toilets and see if you can guess if they had a..............PEE or a POO! It\'s a great game, honest lol.

People watching is part of our make-up, seeking threat or safety, etc. I\'m sure a lot of people here can explain that a lot better....

being an artist/art teacher/loon i do this all the time. many times i find myself looking at the shadows on ppl as they walk past me or at the mall, other times i get ideas on how to blend my miniatures based upon looking at ppl and the folds of their clothes or how shadows fall on them.

here is the weird thing though.....on many ppl i imagine them naked, but not in an awoogaaaa!!!! way.... nope i just imagine how their bodies move and how shadows or what not fall onto them.

i definitely cant imagine my friends naked though, cause thats just weird. but perfect strangers as they walk i see how the bodies move in my mind\'s eye and draw them in my head. its almost as if i never stop doing art.

well rock on all....the bell is about to ring and we have a convocation this morning on sex ed.

*shivers*

I\'m a very frequent people-watcher, myself. I go to parks, or find places to sit where lots of people go, settle in, and take notes about interesting characteristics I see. It helps me to pick out things that are distinctive in individuals, so that when I write about people, I can give them these distinctive traits. Makes my characters (I like to think) more believable.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Old training kicks in. I watch people all the time.

I\'m also guilty of look around the area for an \"out\".

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

I like looking at peoples faces and trying to read their stories there. Or watching couples to see if I can tell how long they\'ve been together. But the best is watching children. They watch back. They are far more aware of their surroundings than adults are. And they interact with you quietly too. :D

Originally posted by lizcam
    I like looking at peoples faces and trying to read their stories there. Or watching couples to see if I can tell how long they\'ve been together.
    This is more inline with why my wife and I love to do this (people watch). Trying to guess thier stories based on things like how they\'re dressed, the looks on thier faces, how they\'re moving, where they\'re going, what they\'re doing.

Our favorite is watching couples sitting together at the local watering holes. Are they newly minted young lovers or an older couple with no spark who don\'t speak to each other while eating - just going through the motions....?

I only really watch a girl that catches the same bus as me in the mornings, she always applies her make-up while the bus is moving, and I really don\'t want to miss the moment when she finally blinds herself:P

I know that a good friend of mine sometimes plays “Keep or Kull” (:D)
    paul or martyn?

yeah i do it too. love watching the almost infinitely different ways people go about their lives

@springbok - lol

Originally posted by airhead
    Old training kicks in. I watch people all the time.

I\'m also guilty of look around the area for an \"out\".
    I\'m in the same boat. I\'m afraid that I have lost the ability to just watch people when I\'m out; I have to analyze them as threats. Sucky...

Nothing new for me here, i get paid to watch people (only certain people of course)

Wow kind of a relief that I\'m not alone in this. :D
    Since I was off yesterday and attempting some personal shopping (ie Birthday present for Fran) I ended up doing the same thing again in Bolton (well I can\'t be arrested for it..............Yet).

And I\'ve come to some startling conclusions:
    1: Sh*t I\'m old.............When did that happen? lol
    2: Flat soled slipper style shoes do nothing for womens feet or legs.
    3: If you are a man in your 60\'s with long hair keep it clean and looked after.
    4: Women wearing White trousers should not wear Black \"T-Bar\" underwear. :o
    5: Beards are not just to be grown, they need to be maintained with as much attention as your clothing.
    6: Some women suite being pregnant.
    7: Smiling at someone for no reason is infectious. ;) :D

i got told off by my mum when i was young because it was the only thing that occupied me. now that i aloud round town, i sit in cafe nero and watch people not the best place mind, the shopping centers are the best!
    :D

And I\'ve come to some startling conclusions:

5: Beards are not just to be grown, they need to be maintained with as much attention as your clothing.
    Pah! As a man who has a pretty beardy life, I have to disagree. Unkempt is the way forward :D

yeah I do it all the time
    I\'ve come to the conclusion there are only about 10-12 basic face shapes
    If you observe closely sometime you can find \"twins\" within relatively short periods of time too
    I often wonder what would happen if I asked people to pose, probably get told to bugger off!! lol

Originally posted by Einion
    Hey, have a pasty from Gregg\'s near the entrance to the station for me would you? :)
    Just realised I hadn\'t responded to this:-

Einion; Not A Chance In Hell Mate! lol

Greggs is CHAVs food, just one step up (a small one at that) from McDonalds. I\'d rather go hungry than eat that processed, greasy, fat laden detrius. lollollol

However if you\'d said Mr Ho\'s Chinese bakery (in Manchesters China Town) now that would be a totally different matter. Their Hot & Sour Soup is Belting and with a stick of Savoury Bread on a cold day..........Heaven.

reverend ; we\'ll have to agree to differ. And no I\'m not growing a beard back...too much snow in the roots these days. lol

Greggs is CHAVs food, just one step up (a small one at that) from McDonalds. I\'d rather go hungry than eat that processed, greasy, fat laden detrius. lollollol
    how dare you! it\'s a step down from maccy d\'s! at least maccy d\'s is crappy fast food and aint trying to be fancy like gregs (which fails miserably)

I\'m dead against chains in most regards, but I have to say that The Cornish Pasty Shop is amazing. Now that\'s a proper bit of grub, consistently good and very filling.