New Citadel Washes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Citadel Washes?

Blog Entries

Default New Citadel Washes?

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with the \"new\" Citadel (GW) washes. I\'ve heard some mixed reviews about them, but figured I\'d help my post count and get more info by posting here. ;)

I cant live without them, honestly they are all excellent.

GW\'s best product in years.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Kaine

I cant live without them, honestly they are all excellent.

GW\'s best product in years.
    What makes them good? I guess what I\'m looking for is a little more info on how they behave--are they really watery, do they have some kind of binder in them that makes them more or less viscous, etc.

I may just bite the bullet and go get some after work today...

They work really well as glazes straight out of the pot. Well thinned and less prone to cause tide marks than regular paint. They also dry much flatter than the inks did, although they do get a bit of shine if you thin them further.

But, if you plan on using them extensively they won\'t last very long, compared to regular paints or inks, since they\'re effectively pre-thinned down. So, you pay for a lot of water.

Cheap, they\'re not! Good, they are! :)

aye they are good. they are quite \'gloopy\' if you know what i mean. fairly thick and can be used from the pot. i find they water down well with tamiya clear

How can you call them thick, Tim? I would say they are very thin.

I\'m still coming to grips with them but from the few times I have used them I think they are pretty good, I know what Tim means by being gloopy as they do seem to be more viscous that inks but even so they cover evenly without pooling which inks are prone to do if you are not careful with them.

Blog Entries

Hm. \"Kind of gloopy\" sounds actually a little interesting. I usually make washes/glazes using a good amount of Vallejo Glaze Medium or P3 Mixing Medium, so it sounds like these may be close to that consistency.

Sounds like I\'ll be making a stop by the GW store on the way home today...

Blog Entries

I agree, they are definitely more thinned down than regular paints.

A little expensive yes, but i like them. Especially Devlan Mud, of which ive used about half a pot since i bought the set whereas some of the others ive hardly had open yet.

Just recently I posted a \"report of sorts\" on the new washes, well Delvin Mud at least. It\'s here...http://blog.coolminiornot.com/Sukigo...otas-done.html
    I show an example of it watered 50/50 and straight from the pot on some ork boyz with nuetral/earth tones. Worked very well.

Gloopy is a pretty good term for the consistancy. True, they\'re thinned down compared to the paints but nowhere near the consistancy of the old inks. They also do lay right down in the crevasses like reported. I\'m a convert after a couple years of mixing my own.

Blog Entries

Cool, thanks Sukigod. It looks like these washes have more acrylic binder in them to help with the leveling, much like adding Future Floor Finish. Definitely want to play with them now. :)

I just started using a few of them today on my high elf spearmens armour and they look really good at adding hints of colours to metals. Didnt need much mixing at all really, changed depending how strong i wanted the tint to be.

Worth the buy imo

I had a little trouble mixing the purple with catachan green, i did quite a thick wash and when it dried it went white and powdery. Simlelar thing happened if you mixed the two.

Alex

Originally posted by tidoco2222
    I\'m still coming to grips with them but from the few times I have used them I think they are pretty good, I know what Tim means by being gloopy as they do seem to be more viscous that inks but even so they cover evenly without pooling which inks are prone to do if you are not careful with them.
    thank you tim! thats what i meant. they are not overly saturated with colour but are viscous

Blog Entries

Just got home, with a pack of all the Citadel Washes.

I happened to have some models ready to go (working on my Trollbloods for HORDES), so figured I\'d give this stuff a try.

Upon opening the first bottle (Baal Red), I thought, \"Hmm... this smell is... familiar...\" I then grabbed my bottle of Folk Art Glass & Tile Medium, and gave it a whiff. Sure enough, same smell.

\"Ok,\" I thought, \"if that\'s what these things are, then they should work this certain way.\" I\'ve been using G&T medium for quite a while now, and I\'m pretty familiar with what it does when you, say, mix it about 2:2:1 (medium:ink:water). In fact, it behaves exactly like these new Citadel Washes, right down to the smell and the look of the stuff on the palette and how it applies, and how it dries.

In fact, I think the only difference is that I paid a lot more than I would have if I\'d gone and gotten more inks (I do like the Baal Red, though) and another bottle or eight of the G&T medium (which typically runs about a buck for a 2 oz. bottle at various craft stores).

Do they work? Yeah, they do seem to work pretty well. They thin down and behave exactly like ink+G&T (I suggest using only distilled water to thin if you must). They are, however, expensive for what they are.

My suggestion is if you\'re really lazy, or can\'t find G&T medium, these are pretty cool. If you\'re not so lazy, or want these kinds of washes/glazes in other shades, do go get a couple of bottles of Folk Art Glass & Tile Medium and some good ink (like Windsor & Newton or even Higgins), and make your own for a fraction of the price.

i still miss the gw inks though....i love the new washes...but the gw inks are still best.

Blog Entries

I get the feeling from the viscosity of them that they\'re paint + water + A LOT OF MATTE MEDIUM.

I reckon you could mix up something very similar yourself and what the P3 painters often recommend in their paint guides for washing. Might give it a try actually.

Originally posted by Ritual
    How can you call them thick, Tim? I would say they are very thin.
    I\'ve found a variation between bottles one or two were thicker and one was quite thin.
    As far as I\'m concerned \"The Jury\'s still out\" as one or two personal uses I\'ve attempted haven\'t been as wonderful as the expectation and hyperbole would have had us believe.
    However when I used them in shop (pre-release) they worked OK especially as washes for Orcs/Orks.

Originally posted by Valander

In fact, I think the only difference is that I paid a lot more than I would have if I\'d gone and gotten more inks (I do like the Baal Red, though) and another bottle or eight of the G&T medium (which typically runs about a buck for a 2 oz. bottle at various craft stores).
    ok gonna search for folk art glass and tile medium! thanks for that!