couple of questions ???

Thread: couple of questions ???

sg2009

Default couple of questions ???

hey guys i have a couple of questions hoping you guys and gals can answer them.

so.....

1. i have heard people scrubbing there minis with a suede brush, and this gets all the areas smooth, is this true ???

2. when i paint i paint the base coat then shade then highlight, i find when i shade it blends quite nice, but when i highlight it doesn\'t blend that good and i am doing the exact same as if i were shading, what am i doing wrong ???

3. i cant think of a number 3 :D

any answers would be really help full !!

thanks

sam

1. Never heard of suede brushes.

2. Dark colours are often easier to blend, or more accurately I think, they look smoother since they\'re darker and since they\'re more or less in real shadow as well. Highlighted areas are lighter and also take more light from whatever lamp you\'re using so roughness show up a lot easier.

3. Try harder! :]

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

suede brushes are small brass bristled brushes used to keep suede shoes looking good.

Similar to brushes I use to pull lead and copper out of gun barrels. So on that note, I cannot imagine scrubbing a minie with a brass bristled brush and expecting anything more then a gouge.

not heard of the first one but I use the stiff plastic bristled brush on dremel ..not in the dremel by hand...

highlights are generally trickier depending on the technique.. As Anders mentioned there is a sort of shading naturally provided by a models contours Ialso find using thin paints painting into the shadows is easier as there is an area to paint into...

you might want to try and start with lighter base colous so you have less highlight painting to do and develop your painting more towards creating your shadows..Make sense???

I use a wire Dremel head on the Dremel tool. Every mini company\'s mix is different, so I test it on the bottom of the base to make sure it\'s buffing and smoothing rather than gouging and reshaping. Note this is a final stage, it doesn\'t replace filing off mould lines or pits or other general surface problems.

For highlights, I agree with the other comments that they\'re trickier. Often part of this is the paint. Darker colours are often a little more transluscent, so they layer nicely. Highlight colours are more likely to contain white or other pigments which are more opaque or slightly grainy. Try mixing a bit more water into the highlight steps and/or using a few more steps than you do with shading. Green and red highlighted with mixing that include yellow can often be easier to get smoother highlights. (Though red has different issues making it annoying...)

demonherald\'s suggestion of starting with a lighter base and shading down is also a good one. Different techniques click better for one person versus another.

Originally posted by demonherald

you might want to try and start with lighter base colous so you have less highlight painting to do and develop your painting more towards creating your shadows..Make sense???
    i use a highlight (not final) as my base often. then i can shade down and i dont need to rehighlight too much

i like to start with my darkest tone and work my way up.so my base coat is my deepest shadow its very time consuming but i find my colours are much smoother this way.its just a case off finding wot works for u getting good at it with time and effort.and then trying new things the hobby is constanly addapting as ppl try to improve then share there knowlage every mini has its own challange and not 1 mini painter has ever hit perfection its the holy grale we all search for but can never atain
    the next greatest thing uv ever seen is only an upload away!and each time we see 1 we try harder and together all improve thats wots so great about it

Originally posted by sg2009
    1. i have heard people scrubbing there minis with a suede brush, and this gets all the areas smooth, is this true ???
    It can soften or remove some surface irregularities and pitting, but you have to be careful not to overdo it as it rounds off edges. I often give a filed/sanded seam line a quick brush over to help remove any scratches that\'ll be visible (brushing leaves scratches but with the right brush they\'re too fine to be seen through primer).

It also helps by removing oxidation, improving the grip of primer to the metal.

Originally posted by sg2009
    2. when i paint i paint the base coat then shade then highlight, i find when i shade it blends quite nice, but when i highlight it doesn\'t blend that good and i am doing the exact same as if i were shading, what am i doing wrong ???
    Light and dark colours aren\'t the same, both visually and in terms of the paint.

If the same methods don\'t work then adjust where necessary - in the case of highlighting you may want to use more intermediary colours and/or paint in thinner layers. Changing the painting method, to paint down from the lightest or nearly the lightest colour, is also worth trying; you might find you prefer to paint certain hues this way - yellows for example - and others the normal way.

Einion