A question for the heavy metal team - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question for the heavy metal team

Cheers Everyone :) it\'s nice to know our work is appreciated.

To extend on what Fil said - you will see much more nmm and other fancy techinques in the army books and codexs where we do colour varients that don\'t necessarily have to fit in with exsisting armys, but are kind of stand alone models.

Every now and then though, we will use these techniques on miniatures for armies where they are appropriate,

Sigvald seemed the ideal mini for nmm after reading his background, i can\'t quote it word for word but it follows the lines of untarnished armour and shield and flowing hair like spun gold, and i felt i\'d be able to capture the image of him much better in nmm than true metallics :)

Fil - i think the havoc that nibz did is metals highlighted with non metals? lol seriously. It still looks good though :cool:

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    It was Dante, painted by Mike McVey for the Warhamster 40,000 Painting Guide. (Yes I still have my copy).
    Um...Warhamster?? lollol

Originally posted by Brokenblade

Fil - i think the havoc that nibz did is metals highlighted with non metals? lol seriously. It still looks good though :cool:
    oh for the love of god stop teasing ups! pics!!!

Originally posted by Necroghast
    Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    It was Dante, painted by Mike McVey for the Warhamster 40,000 Painting Guide. (Yes I still have my copy).
    Um...Warhamster?? lollol
    If you\'ve never heard it called that then you are young.

Well I am. It\'s not a typo?

Originally posted by Necroghast
    Well I am. It\'s not a typo?
    No lol.
    it\'s an old timer/D&D players \"nickname\" for Warhammer.

Aw man. It would have been a funny typo...

Dante was painted by Neil Hodgson, it was featured in the mike mcvey eavy metal masterclass section. I remember trying to paint mine in the same style.. it looked horrible! it was 1996 though (i was 11).

Was in the second WD i ever bought so i know it very well, issue 197.

Durham red

The first time I remember NMM being used was on Tycho (which I copied at a young age) Back in WD 139

This one infact :)

Originally posted by Durham red
    The first time I remember NMM being used was on Tycho (which I copied at a young age) Back in WD 139

that makes two of us

http://sky.prohosting.com/bodroy/imagesm/image11.htm

http://sky.prohosting.com/bodroy/imagesm/image36.htm

bad camera in those days..lol

I distinctly remember a bit of a moment of revelation when I went to a conflict event around the time of the 2nd necron release. I saw Tammy from eavy metal (I think it was her, though I might be wrong), with the nightbringer model in a cabinet by her. I looked and looked and then gasped as I realised that it wasn\'t painted with metallic paint on the chest. That was my first intro to NMM though I didn\'t know it at the time. I didn\'t even like the model (still don\'t particularly, just doesn\'t inspire me), but I attended that event thinking I was a decent painter, and went home knowing I hadn\'t even began to learn. Thanks \'eavy metal for doing that to me, I\'ve really appreciated feedback from one or two of you in the proceeding years on how I can improve.

James

The painting on the Nightbringer is indeed excellent. It\'s one of my all-time favorite figures! The NMM is very convincing and overall everything is incredibly well-done. It was really inspiring when I first saw it (I started this hobby about the same time as the re-release of the Necron army), and it still is awesome!

Now I need to dig up the old White Dwarf with that masterclass painting guide in it and take a look, it\'s been a while! :D

-Matt

Aye, I remember that figure and the article but to be honest, it never bowled me over. I thought it just looked brown. You do need pioneers though \'cos Joe T\'s space marine with the blue chrome effect was amazing - standing on the shoulders of giants and all that...

Originally posted by Logan

Aye, I remember that figure and the article but to be honest, it never bowled me over. I thought it just looked brown. You do need pioneers though \'cos Joe T\'s space marine with the blue chrome effect was amazing - standing on the shoulders of giants and all that...
    I still have that one in my cabinet, forgot all about it, and replaced cloak with a painted cloth one and also the loin cloth,, that was early days...:(

Originally posted by fildunn
    that said we have to make sure the figures can be photographed from any angle, thats where the problems with a 2D technique on a 3D model start to present themselves for us.
    they...arent....2D...techniques................... ........................