Poll: Public breast feeding.....what do you think? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Public breast feeding.....what do you think?

Originally posted by alextheartist
    I agree with it compleatly. I know for a fact i was breastfed and i didnt turn out retarded. I think if somebody gives a mother grief for this they need to grow up.

Alex
    What the flipping heck are you going on about?

It´s never bothered me. Though I´v not seen anybody doing it down here in Spain. Perhaps there is different views on it here.

Peace and love...

I actually think its inappropriate and shameless. I once went to Cheesecake Factory to eat. It was about 1pm and we were being seated and we walked by a family of behemoths. My GF was walking ahead of me, turned around and gave me the most disgusted look I have ever seen and then mouthed the words, \"WTF?!?\". Then I looked around to see what gave her such a sour look and found one of the bememoth family members with her boob slapped onto the dining table feeding her behemoth baby.

As I said earlier. If it is a hot girl with a nice chest I am all for it but if it is a behemoth that looks like she can \"huff and puff and blow the house down\", no.

Originally posted by evil tendencies
    Most women I see doing this do it out of the way and don\'t bother anyone. I don\'t see a problem with this. Purposely creating a public disturbance to make a point, on the other hand, is a bit crass.
    Ditto. Just use common sense. I was in the library the other day and this lady was breast feeding her child with her whole tit hanging out and it just seemed unnecessary. This said by a great fan of love pillows, cones, golden bozos, Wally and the Beave, Winnabagos, leftie and rightie, Mae West\'s, thingies, tongue sprainers, eye magnets, wobblie bouncies..........

tounge sprainers lollollol, never heard em called that before!

Alex

Originally posted by PegaZus

Kidding aside, I think when done discretely it\'s fine. In a mall, but around where it\'s a little quiet and not a lot of foot traffic, with some sort of blanket, it\'s fine. Sitting in the middle of the mall, tits flopped out and upset that people are staring and screaming that it is a \"right\", yeah, against that.
    Yep, I totally agree with you here.

-Matt

Originally posted by mattsterbenz
    Originally posted by PegaZus

Kidding aside, I think when done discretely it\'s fine. In a mall, but around where it\'s a little quiet and not a lot of foot traffic, with some sort of blanket, it\'s fine. Sitting in the middle of the mall, tits flopped out and upset that people are staring and screaming that it is a \"right\", yeah, against that.
    Yep, I totally agree with you here.

-Matt
    I third that!

breasts are like toy trains - meant for kids but men have more fun playing with them!!

our little on is 3 months and is being breast fed as was the last , and i was rather nervous at first and a little embarassed but the wife was fine with it. i am too now. we (she?) does get some funny looks sometimes from disapproving people but if it wasnt for breast feeding none of us would be here. the people with a problem seem to be those that cant dis-associate breasts from sex.
    we are kind of hoping to get chucked out of somewhere for it as its now illegal in the uk to eject someone for breastfeeding (unless of course the baby is 32!)

Originally posted by Aliengod3
    I actually think its inappropriate and shameless. I once went to Cheesecake Factory to eat. It was about 1pm and we were being seated and we walked by a family of behemoths. My GF was walking ahead of me, turned around and gave me the most disgusted look I have ever seen and then mouthed the words, \"WTF?!?\". Then I looked around to see what gave her such a sour look and found one of the bememoth family members with her boob slapped onto the dining table feeding her behemoth baby.

As I said earlier. If it is a hot girl with a nice chest I am all for it but if it is a behemoth that looks like she can \"huff and puff and blow the house down\", no.
    :flame:Wow. Just wow.

Whereas I agree about the whole breast being out is unnecessary, but to discriminate because YOU don\'t find them attractive?

Wow.

As an \"aesthetically challenged\" person myself, I take offense at that.

To be perfectly honest I\'m glad Zora came out wit that response, cos I was thinking I might be the only one that thought it was somewhat of a double standard.

Zora; I can\'t remember your picture but I\'m pretty sure you\'re not \"Aestheticaly Challenged\". (Me on the other hand.... Bag\'o\'Hammers!)

well the world is full of hot, ugly, fat, thin, anorexic, retards, stupid people, brilliant people, and on and on

to take offence because one person finds something gross, is a personal decision

he is neither a jerk nor a saint...hes honest

personally its more pleasing to the eye if shes more attractive(duh) and hence the OMG WTF effect is lowered

kinda like a lot of things in life, the nicer/cooler it looks the more you go hmmm

tvs, cars, cellphone, figures, clothes, whatever, is all about appeal

this is no different

personally i think it should be kept inside homes, but who am i to judge others opinions on how the child should be fed? realistically it was ok way back when they didnt have bottles or other safe ways, why different now just BECAUSE we have other ways(aka technology)

fat (due to laziness/overeating) is disgusting to me and many others, then again Im an athlete

breast feeding to most guys is gross(even if its their wife/partner)

so combine the two and its a double negative, see where its going?

Originally posted by Starks333
    realistically it was ok way back when they didnt have bottles or other safe ways, why different now just BECAUSE we have other ways(aka technology)
    Sorry but Bottles aren\'t neccessarily the safest way. There\'s a huge argument going on about companies in the \"Developed countries\" trying to force Bottle Feeding mentality onto women in less developed countries without having any consideration about water supply or hygenie. Not to mention failed hygene processes, damaged bottles or contaminents in the feed which can (and did) happen about 12 years ago.

breast feeding to most guys is gross(even if its their wife/partner)
    Sorry but to me that\'s just an unsupported generalisation.
    I don\'t find it gross, it\'s natural. After all it\'s been going on for a good few thousand years longer than glass has been around.

Again this semi-reviling of naturality is harking back to a \"VIctorian/Puritanical mindset\", which tried to tarnish anything which was in the least Sexual as \"Dirty\" or needed \"To be Kept Out of Sight!\" and a product of lower class values and behaviour.

Originally posted by Starks333
    so combine the two and its a double negative, see where its going?
    Double negative means it\'s positive, right? :innocent:

Originally posted by Zora
    Originally posted by Aliengod3

:flame:Wow. Just wow.

Whereas I agree about the whole breast being out is unnecessary, but to discriminate because YOU don\'t find them attractive?

Wow.

As an \"aesthetically challenged\" person myself, I take offense at that.

Don\'t know the guy but the statement sounds outrageous enough to be a joke.

All for it. Our daughter is 100% breast fed. Knowing all the facts now I get more offended watching people just shove a bottle or a pacifier into a screaming babies mouth.

My wife has fed in public regularly, though we do usually try to find a somewhat out of the way place, and we usually keep a baby blanket or two around in case it\'s needed. The best thing my wife has found are those Slings. Once the baby is in one of those you can\'t even tell if it\'s sleeping or eating.

I got two kids, both breastfed/feeding.

It\'s still the best option for your child, at least that\'s the consensus we reached here after dealing with many, many, many health care professionals. My wife is super paranoid and looked at every option extensively and it\'s still the best choice. At least according to the work we did.

Public breastfeeding? I have to say I am against it. Done discreetly is one thing but I have been to the mall and such and seen in one extreme example one lady with her top off giving both barrels to her set of twins. The points on physical appearance are childish and ridiculous, it was not her physical appearance that threw me for a loop. I just feel that if it\'s a family choice to feed your child in that manner than great, but it\'s a little disrespectful to others IMO to have your personal choice (and the one I agree with BTW) make others uncomfortable.

We\'re lucky in these parts because we\'ve often got large family rooms at malls and some other larger dept. stores that are made for families to do just this thing so it is often unneccesary to even bother with feeding in public.

My opinion as a parent anyway, breastfeeding good, but keep it private or discreet please.

Double negative means it\'s positive, right? :innocent:
    only when you subtract a negative...this is adding two negatives or minusing two positives ;)

@dragonsreach...ya thats why i added other safe ways...obviously the most natural is the safest(cuz its natural and nature isnt designed to kill its own functionality :P)

i agree it comes from a social standard...but thats kinda what we are talking about since we are using the term \"public\" which is basicly in the \"view of others\"

My wife is super paranoid
    paranoia is the main reason so many problems exist

Public breastfeeding? I have to say I am against it. Done discreetly is one thing but I have been to the mall and such and seen in one extreme example one lady with her top off giving both barrels to her set of twins.
    you are basing your opinion on how it appears, which is no different than how aliengod based his own opinion

The points on physical appearance are childish and ridiculous, it was not her physical appearance that threw me for a loop.
    physical appearence is just as valid as other reasons

physical qualities are more important to some than others...its just as discriminatory to label a person with those views as being \"childish\" as it is for people like them to label you for your views

I just feel that if it\'s a family choice to feed your child in that manner than great, but it\'s a little disrespectful to others IMO to have your personal choice (and the one I agree with BTW) make others uncomfortable.
    and fat people laying partially naked makes some uncomfortable

skinny people for others

ugly ones for others

dirty/unclean for others and so on

or simply the fact they are breastfeeding at all

all this means is that it makes no real difference what people think about it, there will always be someone winning, and someone losing

Originally posted by Shawn R. L. Don\'t know the guy but the statement sounds outrageous enough to be a joke.
    Trust me, Shawn, I looked over that post a few times to see if it might be in jest or mocking. But the tone of it suggested otherwise.

I understand the WTF factor when something like that happens, I wasn\'t arguing that we all don\'t find an attractive woman doing it more appealing to the eyes.

But to imply or say that their decision on the matter was BASED on looks really upset me.

I don\'t mind it in public, preferring it to be discreet so as not to make others uncomfortable.

This \"only the beautiful or physically fit\" people should be allowed to do things bugs me.

Do I think the Angelina Jolie pics are necessary? No. Am I going to look? Yes.

It\'s Angelina Jolie, after all.:D

This \"only the beautiful or physically fit\" people should be allowed to do things bugs me.
    ok, lets act like no double standard exists, just to see a response

whats more exciting in sports, fit or unfit?

what would you prefer for a fireman, fit or unfit?

what would you prefer for a model(aka art/style/something in the public eye) fit or unfit?

do you think its fair that some people can get fat off eating too much but also fair some people die from not eating enough?

should society accomodate those who have poor self control(eat too much/dont excersise enough) and force those who do control themselves to pay for the ones who dont?

is personal opinion not still personal opinion when it comes to looks? and if so is it not fair to agree that no matter what the personal opinion is on looks that it is neither \"cruel\" nor \"unkind\" to like or dislike a certain attribute or quality?

you cant say its fair in one situation but not fair in another...thats just unfair

fairness is that not everyone is equal..and yes some will treat you heavenly, some wont...no matter how you look

high class, popular people actually have life much harder because its harder to always live up to high expectations/standards than it is to lower ones

no one expects a physically unfit fireman to perform as well as the highly fit one, but instead to perform at least the minimal requirements

this is society, and it will always be the battle of the highs vs the lows, the hot vs the not, the sexy vs the beast and so on

no positive exists without a negative

its perfectly acceptable to do as you please...its only \"unacceptable\" when the opinions of others say otherwise

so to refer back to the topic:

its acceptable to do, reasonable, and neither appropriate nor unappropriate

unbiased point

BUT

id prefer to not have to see something that potentiall makes me uncomfortable or gag uncontrollably

personally biased point

:)

They are boobs.

Lots of people like the way they jiggle.

Some people get their lunch from them.

Some think that they should be hidden from view.

Some people like to see lots of them.

Not once can I say that \'everyone\' meets any of the above.

Its not just the victorian prudishness coming into play. For at least 1000 years there has been the concept of the wet nurse, to feed the babies of those who either didnt want to, or couldnt feed a baby.

You cant get a right or wrong on this, you just have to accept that some people will do it and some people wouldnt, some will like it and some wont. It isnt illegal to do so, just as it isn\'t illegal to use a bottle instead.

Sitting on the fence? Maybe. To me its a non question, it will happen and doesnt bother me either way

Shaz