ideas for a painting article?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideas for a painting article?

Default ideas for a painting article?

Hi everyone, I\'d like to try to write another painting article over the next month or two. I received a lot of great feedback and comments from the metallics article, which really made the effort worthwhile...but I wrote that quite a while ago now, so I\'m overdue for a new one I think!

So rather than go ahead and come up with a topic myself through guesswork, I just wanted to ask first if anyone had any specific ideas for another topic to cover? It\'s better to try to write something that might be useful for lots of people, of course. So If there is a particular issue that you think would be helpful - and that you think I might be particularly qualified to write about - then let me know, and if it seems to appeal to everyone then perhaps I can do it! :D

Just a step-by-step with focus on the technical aspects and colours - planning, putting it all together. I mean you are qualified with pretty much everything whatever you write it will be worthwhile. :)

Originally posted by Avelorn
    Just a step-by-step with focus on the technical aspects and colours - planning, putting it all together. I mean you are qualified with pretty much everything whatever you write it will be worthwhile. :)
    Agreed. Just be sure to include how you went about the base, yours are often noticeably well-executed.

You guys are going to end up forcing poor Sebastian to write a whole book, if you can\'t be more specific! lol

\"Do a step-by-step and focus on everything!!\" :rolleyes: :]

Actually... that might not be a bad idea! :duh:

But, if I am to suggest something a bit more specific and something I think you are particularly suited to do, it would be an article that deals with the more hands-on, practical side of colour theory. Not the same old colour wheel, complementary colours etc. that you can find anywhere, but how to actually use colours to their best advantage. I think you know what I mean, and you\'re really good at that!

Yeah that was our intention before you came and ruined it all.

Thank you sir.

hehe thanks for saving me anders :duh:

In seriousness though, I think it\'s true that it would probably be better to choose something a little more specific - in my mind, a more focussed and detailed article concerning one element of painting is more useful than a general step-by-step guide, which necessarily needs to be more broad and less detailed in its approach. Unless you write a book, as Anders said haha :D

So, colours - I think that could be interesting...talking about the approach, and the thinking behind the colours choices that are made in each particular element...do you think that would have broad appeal, or will it become too theoretical (or boring!) for some people?

Originally posted by automaton
    So rather than go ahead and come up with a topic myself through guesswork, I just wanted to ask first if anyone had any specific ideas for another topic to cover?
    Although I think it would be very popular, instead of a SBS technique essay how about something about how you decide on colour combinations or an overall scheme? Colour planning is a much-overlooked aspect of the artform; I realise this might not be something you do intellectualise but if you can put it into words I think it would be more valuable in the long run.

Einion

You know it\'s funny I started a sensible reply similar to that of Anders. But then I thought \"but then he won\'t go into...\" \"and I really want to understand...\" :D If I could pick just one thing it would be about colours as well.

I think broad appeal will be most useful as otherwise it will be more about \"recipes\" perhaps and then it will be more about imitating then using your article as a reference point to develop an own style so to speak.

ooh! ooh! pick me pick mee!!!

ahem.. you could do one about the different \'environments\'and how they affect the colour choice :) hmm hmm!:D

I was thinking, instead of doing a step-by-step article that focuses on, for instance, the use of colours on that particular mini, you could talk a bit more in general about colours and how to use them to achieve different atmospheres. Then you can do examples of different uses, using different minis. Some examples could be fairly simple, whereas some examples could be more advanced. You could have short step-by-step sections that don\'t go into painting an entire mini, but how to paint one certain area with different colour glazes and such, and how the colours work for the overall impression of the mini.

I think such an article would be very useful for painters of all levels. For the beginner it would be an opening to more advanced techniques and something that they can have in mind as they develop their basic skills. For the advanced painters it would be an insight into how you go about these things and they would find some useful tips, most likely.

Originally posted by Ritual
    I was thinking, instead of doing a step-by-step article that focuses on, for instance, the use of colours on that particular mini, you could talk a bit more in general about colours and how to use them to achieve different atmospheres. Then you can do examples of different uses, using different minis. Some examples could be fairly simple, whereas some examples could be more advanced. You could have short step-by-step sections that don\'t go into painting an entire mini, but how to paint one certain area with different colour glazes and such, and how the colours work for the overall impression of the mini.

I think such an article would be very useful for painters of all levels. For the beginner it would be an opening to more advanced techniques and something that they can have in mind as they develop their basic skills. For the advanced painters it would be an insight into how you go about these things and they would find some useful tips, most likely.
    Sounds like a plan.............

Theories and ideas behind painting are always the hardest things to write about but make for the most useful articles.. getting people to think these things opens up people to experiment more and develop their own styles...something I think the metallic article did great.

maybe breaking it into different elements of a model could help give it a little focus..
    You\'ve done armour now move onto say flesh,,different tones, key areas , lighting etc... etc.

I\'m sure whatever you write will be well received..(not that that helps) and whatever it is I look forward to reading....

colour is a very broad aspect, and using colours together is a practice makes perfect thing, and a preference thing as well

the science behind how colours work however, is useful

the real colour wheel for example, is far more scientifically grounded than the old yellow/purple, red/green one, which in a sense is \"wrong\"

also pre-shading, and which order to apply certain colours to create different effects is the biggest thing lacking i find...general canvas painters colour knowledge(like putting yellow down before a skin tone)

i think while it might be good insight to see why he chose the colours he did to make his wonderful pieces, it might not be the most useful

(this colour is cold...its more/less saturated...etc etc) it still comes down to beginner colour theory for the most part, or preferences and that stuff has explanations all over

i honestly think a basing article would be more useful, its more broad, and focuses on techniques as well as some theory behind it

using pigments, washes, real vegetation, whether to prime or not, airbrush effects/assistance, and so forth depending on whats used

a couple bases could be done for the article(like 2 or 3 im thinking) or maybe just 1, and it will go alongside the miniature he paints next

the base is one of the most important places to start as it sets the scene...and the colours on a person/monster are affected by its environment

just a thought or 10 :P

do what ever you want or feel that you can do. anything you come up with will be greatly appreciated!

What I really liked about your metallics article was that you showed the consistency of the paint you used as well as the various colors you used as you shaded. I would like to see that again in your next article since I know you said you use different dilutions for different things.

If you were thinking of a mini to paint step by step I would say paint something by enigma or rackham but I cannot think of anything specific at the moment.

Above all I completely agree with Starks. If you made basing article I would send you flowers (hope you like orchids)! I am terrible at bases. You have seen the extent of my base work with my Wandyr mini so you know I can use all the help I can get and all the articles I have found online are for gaming bases mainly. Nothing as crazy and creative as what you make :) Your bases always impress. Definately a basing article.

donga666

Something random.

1.The cheeses of Southern Italy

2. The Mating habits of the Brazilian Giant Otter

3. Flesh colours, Specifically differant shade, base and highlighting colours.

One of those three :D I want cheese!

lol

well if i was picking it would be on something i am trying to do at the moment, which is bringing more colours into my work so instead of having just \'flesh\' colours on skin introducing purples, browns etc. that would do for me please!

i found your last article one of the most usefull i have ever read as it show the consistancy of the paint throughout, and was easy to both read and follow, Thanks :). For a new one i would love to see somthing like Ritual mentioned with colours particularily in flesh tones and how nuances can change the look of the mini. Id also like to see a short step by step of how your freehands are so smooth :idea:. :)

Thanks again :)

Blog Entries

How to find a time and place to paint when my twins are moving into my painting room. That is an article I would like. It might have limited application with others though.

Uses of glaze mediums versus water and magic wash.

How to make mediocre minis really interesting - how to accentuate those sculpted items that aren\'t normally so interesting. Like a space marine having a large battle scar as a focal point or other generic minis.

I used to remember somebody who would get minis that had been painted and see if they could overhaul them in an hour or two into something not so crappy. I would like to see that again. It was a \"see this is what is wrong and this is how I fixed it\" type of learning.

New uses for expletives whilst painting.

VALLEJO GALZE MEDIUM!!! GLAZE MEDIUM!!!!!!:drunk:

sg2009

another article!!!!... looking forward to this.....

erm how about....

painting skin

a decent advanced basing tutorial !!!!

how about a sculpting article ??????

erm..

zenthinal lighting ?

any of them help ?

sam