GAMING OR PAINTING - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GAMING OR PAINTING

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Not everyone is a painter only.
    i am!

I can\'t really separate the two. I can\'t imagine gaming (D&D , Warhammer, 40K, Warmachine, Stargate) without well-painted minis. Seeing my Witch Hunter army roll across the table is sometimes the only joy I get because I\'m getting trashed in the game.

On the other side of the coin, it\'s hard to paint minis that have no purpose beyond art. I\'ve just bought my first 54mm figure (it was $5) and I\'d love to paint it, but my interest always tugs me towards stuff I\'m going to game with (or that someone else is going to play with, since I do commissions).

All this to say that a 40K night on Saturday isn\'t the same without the painting class I run just before the gaming.

I\'m not bitter! I\'m not bitter. I\'m not bitter?
    You\'re bitter.

Originally posted by Mr Scream
    I only play when the minis are painted
    I only paint after the minis have been played - coated in a thick layer of gamer hand sweat and Cheet-o dust. Consequently, I think my scores should be higher.

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    Originally posted by Mr Scream
    I only play when the minis are painted
    I only paint after the minis have been played - coated in a thick layer of gamer hand sweat and Cheet-o dust. Consequently, I think my scores should be higher.
    Nothing pisses me off more than playing an opponent who doesn\'t respect my models! I played against a dude who ate chocolate covered peanuts -ate the chocolate than fished the now naked peanut from his mouth- and then would remove casualties from my units. I asked if he could stop handling my models, showed him the chocolate residue on my goblin model and he said \"Yeah, you gotta expect stuff like that at tournaments.\". He wiped out every unit in my army with his grey primered chaos army.

Guess what I gave him for sportsmanship? He\'s the reason why my figs get a gloss coat, matte coat, then a testor\'s dullcote just in case I meet his brother someday...

Nobody touches my minis on the gaming table, but me. Especially not during the game.

Originally posted by BarstoolProphet
    Nobody touches my minis on the gaming table, but me. Especially not during the game.
    I hear that. Someone tried to move my Throne of Judgment (my show piece in the army), and one of his buddies was like \"dude, you touch that and he\'ll kill you where you stand.\"

Fear. It\'s a positive emotion. :D

Default Painting

You mean you can actually use these figures in some sort of game? javascript:icon(\':D\')

I used to love gaming. Nothing made me happier than pulling out my fantasy orc and goblin army and playing a fun game that I would normally lose (I play miniatures that I think are fun not ones that will spank my opponent). But that all ended about 2 years ago when I had a bad experience with a group of gamers that I played with. They took everything too personally and would throw huge fits and hit tables all because they would lose 2 or 3 high point minis. My gaming experience has always been plagued by power gamers who tool their armies in any way they can in order to demolish their opponent and then get mad and throw fits and claim cheating when a couple of their best minis get taken out. So I lost interest in playing. Although I would love to finish building and painting the 2000 points of pure goblins (night goblins, wolf riders, etc.) and 2200 points of orcs (black, savage, boar boys, etc.) that I have sitting on my shelf. I keep accumulting more and more. I also would love to play with the new chaos army.

I have always loved painting and have been doing all I can to improve my painting and my knowledge of techniques. So I definately like painting more than gaming. I am a pretty creative person and I get real excited when I see new well sculpted minis because painting is very pleasureable and always has been.

I do both...although I do paint more than I game these days.:D

its just painting now, have sold all my painted armies WFB Green skins and 40k BA. was never good at the playing part but was nice to put a well painted army on the table especially against an army or grey plastic and dull metal troops.

Originally posted by freakinacage
    Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Not everyone is a painter only.
    i am!
    Me too, sort of! HeroQuest is hardly gaming...

I mostly paint, but I am pretty familiar with all three GW game systems, Warhammer Fantasy being my favorite. I play a game every now and again.

-Matt

I\'ve never played any games, nor do I intend to! :D

I want to play, but mostly I\'m stuck painting my armies and when I\'m nearly finished I get interest in different armies and it starts all over.

I played Mordheim with my friends. We had lot of fun and nobody was there for just winning. I would never play in tournaments. I love fluff! :)

Originally posted by Aliengod3
    I used to love gaming. Nothing made me happier than pulling out my fantasy orc and goblin army and playing a fun game that I would normally lose (I play miniatures that I think are fun not ones that will spank my opponent). But that all ended about 2 years ago when I had a bad experience with a group of gamers that I played with. They took everything too personally and would throw huge fits and hit tables all because they would lose 2 or 3 high point minis. My gaming experience has always been plagued by power gamers who tool their armies in any way they can in order to demolish their opponent and then get mad and throw fits and claim cheating when a couple of their best minis get taken out. So I lost interest in playing. Although I would love to finish building and painting the 2000 points of pure goblins (night goblins, wolf riders, etc.) and 2200 points of orcs (black, savage, boar boys, etc.) that I have sitting on my shelf. I keep accumulting more and more. I also would love to play with the new chaos army.

I have always loved painting and have been doing all I can to improve my painting and my knowledge of techniques. So I definately like painting more than gaming. I am a pretty creative person and I get real excited when I see new well sculpted minis because painting is very pleasureable and always has been.
    been there, known people like that.
    got an eldar army and a goblin army i no longer use sitting around.
    got sick and tired of people tournament gaming when it wasn\'t a tournament.
    abusing how rules are worded, working out which trops are not worth their points etc.
    realy boring and sad if you ask me.
    now skirmish games with more of a roleplay feel to them are good, just don\'t get much chance any more.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Painter. I\'ve never played a wargame before. Don\'t know the fluff. I used to play roleplaying games every week but that stopped quite a while ago.

I have been kicking arounf the idea of getting into some kind of gaming after reading Roger\'s weekly freakbar game updates, though. Hmmmmmm.

It looks like there\'s been a number of people who\'ve been turned off by \"power gamers\". And the thought really hit me that it is too bad one can\'t play these war fighting games like chess-by-mail.

And then it occurred to me that it might be possible. Anybody heard of something similar? Simple grid laid out on a standard card table, modify the rules here and there to fit the format, and then the hard part: Find an honest partner! lol

There are pbem leagues for bloodbowl. I don\'t know about other games.

i was actually pondering something along these lines. i only paint, but would like to do some rpg but dont know anyone locally. could that be done online somehow?