You like my what?!?!?

Thread: You like my what?!?!?

Default You like my what?!?!?

Have you ever painted something poorly, but people thought it was awesome?

For instance, I painted 8 Gray Knight Terminators in 8 hours for a tournament the next day. I seriously used the minimum amount of colors on them but when I brought them out of the case, people started coming over to my table and gawking at my minis.

That was years ago and I have yet to repaint them and they STILL get the same reaction out of people. I think they look like crap, but everyone seems to like them.

Have you ever had this happen?

No. Never.
    My good stuff gets reactions like that, though.

I usually draw attention when I go down the local store for a game of 40k. I have a Sisters of Battle army and while they are all painted with some shading and highlights it\'s not to any great standard. It\'s probably due to the colour scheme and rarity of an SoB force that does it. That and the home brewed versions of Exorcist and Repressor, oh and the size - 4500pts and counting...

Blog Entries

The first (and only) Grand Tournament I went to I nearly won Best Painted with a half-finished Space marine army. It was crazy, people were perfectly willing to ignore the half painted models simply because some of them were finished, varnished and looking awesome. I was stunned. If I knew that\'s how things worked, I would\'ve painted one model and just sprayed the rest black and got some sleep in the month leading up to the event! I bought a $175 tournament ticket after painting 1 model for the army you see... 4 weeks before the event. Hehe :D

nope. normally the other way round

Originally posted by freakinacage
    nope. normally the other way round
    yeh man, i see other peoples stuff and only notice how cool they look and all the bits that are realy sweet.

on my own stuff (when i rarely get the chance) i only see mistakes.

same here chris.
    Nigel tries to get people not to like his work by pointing out all the flaws for you!!

Originally posted by rextalon
    For instance, I painted 8 Gray Knight Terminators in 8 hours for a tournament the next day. I seriously used the minimum amount of colors on them but when I brought them out of the case, people started coming over to my table and gawking at my minis.
    Hey, from what I\'ve heard, many gamers are willing to just dip their figures in house paint if that\'s what it takes to get them on the table. So your effort to actually finish them properly no doubt blew them away. If they saw an army that had truly been painted to a good standard (like a consistent 7 rating here), they\'d likely crap themselves :)

And... from a few feet away, even a neatly-done, basic 3-paint job looks a lot better than bare plastic, or a sloppy paint job.

I had a response like that once, about 5 years back. I brought out my 2 year-old Biel-tan eldar force, and had to wait 15 minutes to set up because everyone (opponent included) was pawing over them. I had started painting full-time since I painted those pieces and had improved much, so I was confused by everyone\'s compliments.

Looking back, that army would probably have gotten a 6 (or maybe a 5 these days) here.

Originally posted by darklord
    same here chris.
    Nigel tries to get people not to like his work by pointing out all the flaws for you!!
    or by shaking it till something comes off!!

There was a new kid at the wh club and he thought that another person\'s black primered marines were amazing. Yes he actually thought that only primered space marines were really awesome. When he saw some of my fully painted stuff he was totally blown away. It was pretty funny.

i\'m my own worst critic for sure...
    i always get nice responses from fellow painters and laymen, but i can\'t see it myself...
    it\'s much easier to appreciate other painters minis...
    i might like my work for a month or two, but after that they are just lessons in what i could have done better...

bein\' a professional painter though, i do appreciate that customers and company owners like my work...i really don\'t wanna have to get a real joblol...

cheers
    jah

Dosn\'t surprise me anymore but there is stuff I have done that I worked on A LOT that didn\'t sell well and some stuff I just snapped out without much thought and it just flew out the door!! Go figure...........

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Dosn\'t surprise me anymore but there is stuff I have done that I worked on A LOT that didn\'t sell well and some stuff I just snapped out without much thought and it just flew out the door!! Go figure...........
    Just curious, do you think that\'s because the stuff you put a lot of time into had really small detail that didn\'t come out well and the stuff that didn\'t take too long had less detail and more bold strokes which translated better in pictures?

Or do you think it\'s because the less work you put in was a reflection of the fluidity of the design and simple, fluid, designs are easier for the masses to appreciate which increased your audience and therefore ensured a quick sell?

Originally posted by rextalon
    Have you ever painted something poorly, but people thought it was awesome?
    Not quite to the same degree as you describe, but I have stuff I don\'t like so much (in modelling and in illustration) that other people respond to far better.

FWIW this isn\'t that unknown in art either. Every now and then you hear of a painter whose most popular piece or pieces are things they don\'t consider their best by a long sight.

Einion

when im at my local warhammer club i sometimes paint minis for people if im bored. they are basic enough to only get a 6 or a 7 ax and yet the guys at the club are amazed...though one of the did ask me what single colour was best for painting flesh as he had been using a single coat of bronzed flesh up until then....i just stared at him for a few seconds then gave him the list of colours i use for flesh lol

...and blew his freakin\' mind!!!
    whattaya mean ya use blues and greys and purples and reds on flesh!?!

sometimes i dislike a mini even before i\'m finished, but i gotta make that dough so i soldier on...
    i\'m actually in the middle of a project right now that\'s not givin\' me any love...it\'s like pullin\' teeth tryin\' to finish the job...
    maybe i\'ll like \'em when they\'re done...

cheers
    jah