Favorite Artists (not what you think)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Artists (not what you think)

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Default Favorite Artists (not what you think)

This is another question having to do with self discovery. THIS IS NOT ABOUT MINI PAINTERS although if a mini painter is your favorite artist who am I to argue? ;)

I was looking at art.com for new pictures for my house (the ex never let me buy much because he wanted \"the right ones\". Because he picked them he took them......yet again). I was looking for posters I could frame to take up space mostly but then I started to notice a trend in who I liked and I started really LOOKING at the art. I didn\'t get too far before life interrupted so I figured I\'d ask you all about it.

I\'ve noticed I really like Klimt and Jan Vermeer has ALWAYS been my favorite. Also Lempicka, Waterhouse, Monet and Parish. I WAS looking at impressionists but I want to expand that. I think I\'m going to take an art history course at the local city college soon.

I want to know about sculpters as well. Any kind of art really. Who do you like?

Ansel Adams. His Yosemite work is amazing just by itself, and that\'s just a part of what he did.

EDIT: Oh, and Michelangelo\'s sculpture of Moses. You can probably find a really good photo of it suitable for framing.

A very open question Liz;
    Klimt has a superb rendition using so much gold leaf that unless you are lucky enough to see one in real life the effect is totally lost in photographic rendition.
    I have no specific \"favourites\" in terms of art as I keep finding so much that inspires and awe\'s me.
    There is no specific school or movement that I draw enjoyment from, but I do find that the Pre-Raphealites resonate so much towards the accuracy in small detail that we see in our hobby. Plus their use of colours, glazes, tones and subtlety are often awe-inspiring.

I\'ve always found the Impressionists to really be enjoyable visually, even if their general techniques aren\'t adaptable to mini painting.
    Look up Rembrandt, and other Dutch masters who used and adapted Chiascuro techniques into their paintings.
    Goya, El Greco, Gustav Courbet, Whistler, Steppman(?) all are worth looking up. Although Gustav Courbet is most famous for his Erotic \"Origin of the World\" his other works are superb and far beyond my meagre \"talent\".

I can not be of any real help in this. I don\'t think I can even name more than 3 artists, and can\'t claim any knowledge about the ones I can name.

It\'s kind of sad, really, because people keep sending me links to galleries and I can appreciate the art, but the names just never stick.

I\'m a big fan of Art deco, and one of my favorite painters is the Deco-era portraitist Tamara de Lempicka. Her figures have a weirdly smooth, almost CG-like nature to them, but somehow mingle it with a bucket of sensuality, stylishness or dignity.

Things I\'m NOT a big fan of are cheesy romanticism (eg. Waterhouse) or Surrealism, especially Dali. I can\'t stand Dali :(

@NSA: Many Thanks for another painter to look up.
    The example you posted is superb.

I\'d forgotten to mention that there is also a more wider computer genererated artistic field out there. I\'ve been reading/collecting ImagineFX since it started and even though I can\'t get a picture on PC screen that doesn\'t look like I painted it with my ass, I totally appreciate the skills and talent those artists have.
    Imagine FX

Lempicka is cool :) I looked at a lot of her work at school.

At the moment I really like Howard Hodgkin.

George Bellows

Thomas Hart Benton

To name just a VERY FEW.....

Originally posted by Bill
    Ok don\'t get that.
    What is is supposed to represent/be?

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    I\'m a big fan of Art deco, and one of my favorite painters is the Deco-era portraitist Tamara de Lempicka. Her figures have a weirdly smooth, almost CG-like nature to them, but somehow mingle it with a bucket of sensuality, stylishness or dignity.

Things I\'m NOT a big fan of are cheesy romanticism (eg. Waterhouse) or Surrealism, especially Dali. I can\'t stand Dali :(
    I noticed her last night. Love the work. I do like Waterhouse and the like though. An occassional Dali but not All his work. Good! So much to learn! :D

I have to admit, I really know very little about fine art.

I do, however, very much enjoy looking at it.

I love it when art evokes a feeling.

I don\'t like art that is too \'smart\' for me. For instance, I don\'t \'get\' what Jackson Pollack is about. Most abstract art seems much too pretentious for me. I will admit, I\'ve seen some that are cool.

I like Horace Vernet. I am particularly fond of his more real life-ish paintings like The Dog of the Regiment Wounded, The Wounded Trumpeter, Le Dernier Grenadier De Waterloo, and The Lion Hunt.

link of some paintings

even better link

I think his Artist\'s Studio painting is fascinating.

I like a lot of Canaletto\'s drawings. (18th century)

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

Neil Geddes-Ward, Georgia O’Keeffe, Jade N. Bengco, George Stubbs, Botticelli, Albrecht Durer, Hieronymus Bosch, Rembrandt, Willern Kalf, Louis Agassiz Fuertes, Kirby Sattler, George Catlin, Judith Leyster, Elisabeth Vigee-Le Brun and Medieval Manuscript illuminations

Juan Gonzales
    Did this one with colored pencil!!!

Alex Ross
    Im not trying to show a political stance here, just showing an example of his work.

Roy Lichtenstein
    He made huge paintings that looked like cells from comic book strips.

Originally posted by supervike
    I have to admit, I really know very little about fine art.

I do, however, very much enjoy looking at it.

I love it when art evokes a feeling.

I don\'t like art that is too \'smart\' for me. For instance, I don\'t \'get\' what Jackson Pollack is about. Most abstract art seems much too pretentious for me. I will admit, I\'ve seen some that are cool.

From what I recall of my art appreciation class, watching \"Jack the Dripper\" do his thing was half of the appeal; he was a performance artists. Personally, I liked the textures of the various paints when I saw one in person, but a print does it absolutely no justice - at least not for me.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Originally posted by Bill
    Ok don\'t get that.
    What is is supposed to represent/be?
    Hodgkin says of his art that he paints representational pictures of emotional situations. He uses the colour and the texture of his paint to evoke a particular memory of his, or a certain setting or person.

This particular painting (A small thing but my own) is basically about his struggle to remember things and capture them, so that others can be transported there; this is one of the reasons he often paints on the frames, to reinforce the idea that it\'s not a painting, but an object. It\'s distant, glowing and indistinct and surrounded by darkness.

Here\'s another one of my favourites by him, Snapshot, similar but a bit more figurative.

I\'m trying to learn from his use of colour for my own artwork, but he has a real knack for it lol

My favorite artist is Bob Ross. Yes, the guy with an afro that painted \"happy trees\". :)

Of course his paintings would not be seen in a fancy gallery next to works by Monet, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, etc. But Bob Ross got me interested in painting. When I was in elementary school, I woke up an hour early every morning to watch his show. For Christmas when I was 10 or 11, my parents bought me the official \"Bob Ross Oil Paint Set\". I haven\'t stopped painting ever since :D

-Matt

Durham red

I grew up loving Dali and Roy Lichtenstein, Had this one on my bedroom wall.

Still do like them :)

Now a days my I have a liking for

Luis Royo

Joseph Michael Linsner

Brom

Chad Michael Ward

as well as some of the classical artists.