My Little Sunday Project...
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Little Sunday Project...

Default My Little Sunday Project...

I try to take Sundays off from working on commissions, and I use that day for homework and personal projects. I couldn\'t help but get my hands on the new Warriors of Chaos spearhead box, and let me just say WOW! I haven\'t been this excited about new miniatures in a long, long time. :) (And I\'m always excited about miniatures!!!) :D Not to mention I haven\'t done a single-model WIP in a while either. All my recent postings have been armies/tabletop quality stuff, and I would love the input of everyone on my higher-end things. :) Got to get better, you know!

So I decided to start a new thing. Today I got the Prince Sigvald miniature cleaned and prepped. This is the first mini I have actually found the time to \"polish\" to a extremely smooth finish. After filing down the mold lines, I used some 600-grit sandpaper. Then I used an old toothbrush and some toothpaste (toothpaste has some gritty ingredients in it which make it great for polishing). I really like how smooth it makes the model! I\'ll be doing that again with everything.

I love the painting that Joe of \'Eavy Metal did, and after seeing that and reading Sigvald\'s history in the army book, it reminded me of Ser Jamie Lannister, from George R.R. Martin\'s \"A Song of Ice and Fire\" book series. He is described as having golden hair, wears golden armor, and the emblem of his house is a golden lion on a deep red field. So that\'s the colors that I\'ll paint him :)

I\'m trying to do some new techniques on this. Firstly I liked doing the reflective bits in NMM, such as on my female vampire, but I want to take this to a more extreme. I plan on reflecting lots of colors in all of the metallics. Not the SENMM technique, but something a bit different. Since Sigvald is described as having a mirror-like finish on all his armor, I think that it would be a fitting technique to try.

Now on to the pictures! I started on his torso. Note that the right side (his left) still needs to be worked on. It\'s just basecoated. Since his cape will be red, I added some red reflections on his armor (I painted these in the spots the reflections would probably be, as if the viewer is directly in front of him). To make the reflections still seem gold-tinted, I used Dark Flesh and a tiny bit of Blazing Orange for those highlights, rather than pure red.

Still have to tidy up a bit of the blending on the gold so far.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks! :D I\'ll try to update this each Sunday night, as that\'s probably the only day I\'ll be able to work on this.

-Matt

that meakes e feel very jealous!

any chance ytou could help me with my nmm?. tbh it doesnt look very metaly:D

in the commander culln wip thread:D

Shivers, man, shivers! I can see the cape already.

dear god man thats amazing!!!! is the gold nmm or is it regular gold?

Originally posted by mattsterbenz
    Today I got the Prince Sigvald miniature cleaned and prepped.
    Git. lol
    I\'ve had this model on Advance Mail Order for more than a Fortnight. Apparently it\'s been sitting in Brighton store for most of that time despite them being told to send it and the other incorrect mail orders to Bolton.
    It\'s looking good Matt and I\'m itching to get started on it myself.

@nick i always am depressed....

nice mini, glad to see his arms are removable, so i call dibs on the inquisitor conversion :P

rosac

lookin\' good matt...

since i\'m not a big fan of nmm, i really like to see stuff that catches my eye...

this is definitely one of the coolest characters in the box...i bought mine for the mounted guys, and this one...
    although the khorne guy on foot will be sweet with skull head...

i think we will see a lot of sigvald paintjobs, but not so many with as much flair as yours...look forward to seein\' him progress...

cheers
    jah

Cheers everyone! :D

@Uber, this is NMM gold.

@JAH, yeah I originally bought this for the mounted guys too. I didn\'t even know this guy was in the box until I opened it! lol My personal favorite is the mounted chaos lord. But I also like the Khorne lord on juggernaught... Well, I guess I love everything in it! :D

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Originally posted by mattsterbenz
    Today I got the Prince Sigvald miniature cleaned and prepped.
    Git. lol
    I\'ve had this model on Advance Mail Order for more than a Fortnight. Apparently it\'s been sitting in Brighton store for most of that time despite them being told to send it and the other incorrect mail orders to Bolton.
    It\'s looking good Matt and I\'m itching to get started on it myself.
    lol I got a call from the game store on Friday, letting me know the Spearhead set arrived. I immediately drove over and got my grubby fingers on it! :D

That is amazingly good! He\'s going to be a cracker when you\'ve finished! :beer:

That is some rather spiffy NMM, Matt! Looks really good! The red reflections seem a bit weird at this point, but I\'m sure it will come together when you\'ve painted the rest.

I\'m thinking of buying two of this model when it\'s released on its own and paint one in NMM and one with metallics.

DIablofollower

That does look truly amazing. Can\'t wait to see what you do to the rest of it.

Just stunning. Can\'t wait to see what the community in general does with these awesome chaos models!

Sad about the army book, it\'s probably the worst of the lot (competitive wise) next to Ogres. Still it\'s gonna be awesome to see such well painted mini\'s coming off the workbenches! Keep it up Matt, you\'ve got a great start here!

One of the rare GM figs i actually want to get ahold of. It\'s looking real spiffy so far.

I hate you.

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :)

Ritual, that\'s a great idea. I may just have to copy you and buy another to paint him with metallics... :D

After painting the cape I agree with you about the red reflections looking odd. I may just remove them completely. The cape doesn\'t come far enough forward to justify the reflections on the front of the breastplate anyway. The side ones would work, but definitely not the front reflections.

Anyhoo, here\'s what I\'ve done so far:

I need to do some very thin grey glazing on his shoulderpads. I think the yellow hair reflections stand out a bit too much.

It is tough to see because of my poor lighting (only one lamp), but I threw on some gold reflected highlights on Sigvald\'s neck and jaw. I figured the armor would be reflecting lots of light since it\'s so highly polished.

It\'s 4:21 am right now, so I very well may have a second update later today once I wake up :D lol

Cheers again everyone and thanks for looking,

-Matt

sg2009

looking good matt keep it up :beer: love the nmm !! its stunning :o

what colours did you use for the cloak ???

sam

Cheers Sam :)

The cloak was painted with:

basecoat of Scorched+Chaos Black mix,
    blended up to P3 Sanguine Base
    blended to Red Gore on the edges
    then nearly up to P3 Trollblood Highlight. This looks a little pink, so keep it on the sharpest edges of the cloak.

Finally a very very thin glaze of Blood Red

-Matt

sg2009

cheers matt:beer:

yasis Matt - why does it seem that every thing you paint just keeps getting better - can\'t you get a set back once in a while ? :D