general question about sculpting tools

Thread: general question about sculpting tools

Default general question about sculpting tools

got some on the way and already have a few.

what tools are best for things like chainmail ? and where in the uk stocks them.

also, has any body got any tips on the tiny chain links that the rackham sculpters do (not the chunky gw style)

any other tool tips and sculpting tips would be appreciated as i\'m taking the plunge and having a serious go at it as soon as my fimo etc arrives.

Originally posted by generulpoleaxe
    also, has any body got any tips on the tiny chain links that the rackham sculpters do (not the chunky gw style)
    I think I saw an article where real chain was used.
    Your mate Tim has found that the Cheap jewellers in the main shopping street down from Rylands Stationary is selling 24\" silver fine chain for a couple of quid.

EDIT: I can\'t type tonight.

donga666

I think I discussed this at the GD with you...

I filed hypodermic syringe, so you get a \'half moon\' shaped tip. Works a treat!

Et La:

((((((((((((
    ))))))))))))
    ((((((((((((
    ))))))))))))
    ((((((((((((

You get the picture :D

That was taken from a discussion on \' Hostorica Forma\' from those historic types.

the tool I use is a needel with nothing more than a bent tip. Heated it on the stove and bent a slight hook. Then use it to pull the putty in the ring shape. Google sculpting chain mail there\'s many online tutorials.

Oh BTW Ill have your box done soon..had a problem getting materials..one place locally went out of business and I had to have a cabinet maker friend order it with his order from a out of state distributor and then I had to find a way to get to his shop and pick it up.. 5\'x5\' sheets don\'t fit in a small Toyota

:rolleyes:

what tools are best for things like chainmail ?
    Homemade.

Other than a particular type of detail like mail texture anything else specific that you\'re concerned with (rather than just general shaping, which is very much an \'each to his own\' type of thing)?

Smaller homemade tool :D

any other tool tips and sculpting tips would be appreciated as i\'m taking the plunge and having a serious go at it as soon as my fimo etc arrives.
    Don\'t use Fimo :beer: Okay, on a more constructive note: do be sure to try epoxy putties too - some people get on much better with one type rather than the other and there are things you can\'t do with a putty that has give because it hasn\'t been baked yet.

Incidentally you can mix the two types in case you didn\'t know. If structural strength isn\'t much of an issue it\'s well worth trying in case 2 hours or so per section feels like you\'re having to rush.

Einion

Originally posted by donga666
    I think I discussed this at the GD with you...

I filed hypodermic syringe, so you get a \'half moon\' shaped tip. Works a treat!

Et La:

((((((((((((
    ))))))))))))
    ((((((((((((
    ))))))))))))
    ((((((((((((

You get the picture :D

That was taken from a discussion on \' Hostorica Forma\' from those historic types.
    appreciate that mate :)
    what size do i need as all the needles i have looked at give the size as 1\" or 5/8\" ???

Originally posted by dragonsreach
    Your mate Tim has found that the Cheap jewellers in the main shopping street down from Rylands Stationary is selling 24\" silver fine chain for a couple of quid.
    lol i don\'t have a clue where in bolton rylands stationary is, i\'ll ask tim as i\'ll be in town on thursday.

@Jeff, appreciate the heads up mate and the effort your going to :)

@Einion, cheers bud, appreciate the info/advice.
    i have already tried green stuff (hate it with a passion) even tried mixing it with milliput (get good gap filling results as well as weapon blades etc)
    milliputt on it\'s own was either too crumbly or became a slip (great for smoothing out rough areas)

i used to do 1/1 head sculpts for making masters for full head masks years ago out of plastacine (far better than clay imo) so the fimo classic and the mix quick should hopefully prove to be good for me for most of the sculpting whilst using milliput for cloaks etc (i hope anyway)

Welcome, do be sure to try to lay your hands on some MagicSculp at some point, beats the pants off Milliput or GS for a lot of people.

i have already tried green stuff (hate it with a passion)...
    Pure GS (at various blue & yellow proportions) does take a bit of getting used to!

Once you get more used to sculpting and pushing putty around it gets a lot easier to use IME.

i used to do 1/1 head sculpts for making masters for full head masks years ago out of plastacine (far better than clay imo) so the fimo classic and the mix quick should hopefully prove to be good for me for most of the sculpting...
    I don\'t get on with Fimo and other polymer clays I\'ve tried (and not just for small-scale work like minis), be interested to see what you think of it with your Plasticine experience.

Plasticine v clay, I\'m not sure if I really prefer either as they\'re so different. BTW, I\'ve played around with blending the newer type (Plastiline?) with epoxy putty, just enough added to get it to set reasonably hard while still being a lot like it is by itself. For a one-off piece it could be something to try.

Einion

here\'s the ones I made for chainmail

also i find it easier to build up the shape of the mail first, let that cure and then sculpt the details as it is easier sculpting with a uniform putty thickness (if you get my meaning)

for some good advice regarding polymer clays there is Katherine Deweys
    Elvenwork Forum
    she also has some good booklets for sale on her website, the link at the top of the forum page

cheers mick :)

hey donga, where can you buy the needles in quantities of less than 100?

I bought mine(the fine hypos) from a chemist, the larger ones are for ink refills i think, not 100% sure, (they come in bags of 10 or 20 I think)
    but try Staples or similar, Viking Direct maybe
    I\'ve lost all my good links since having to re-install XP:(