Sad Girl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Girl

Default Sad Girl

I have a shed load of commissions on the go but when I got this tiny lady in the post, had to drop everything to paint her. She is so flippin\' small!

The base was a pain in the bum. The pebbles are of course painted trompe L\'oeil - ( it was the resin bit that was a pain in the bum....thanks Peter! )

* Mike\'s manged to do a few blog updates recently of stuff he\'s been doing if you get the urge to stop by - www.studiomcvey.blogspot.com

Interesting, not my cup of tea but very interesting.

I have this one on my desk as well! Haven\'t started painting it, though, because I don\'t know how to base it yet.

I love your version of it! The face is lovely and you\'ve captured the emotions perfectly. The base is also excellent. Nice to see you posting some stuff again. I think, maybe, that the skin could be shaded a bit more in places, especially on the lower part of the body. It could be a camera issue, though.

the water looks great, its a great mini. I cant tell but is the bloody arm a claw? If not ignore my dumb question.

You should put a quarter next to this mini so we can see scale (cause you say shes small)

I have no idea what size a quarter is! ;)

very nice. she is indeed very small

i have no idea what size a quater is either

I Prey to be as good as McVey :D

awesome piece of work Mike.

Not overly enamoured with it but I can\'t deny a decent level of quality! Again, couldn\'t even tell you what shape a quarter is...

Nice overall but I\'m not entirely sure of the skintone. It\'s a bit flat and even though I understand what you were going for I don\'t think it suits the miniature that well. Nice face though. The base is great!

Just out of curiosity, what colour would you have gone for Avelorn? Though I am happy with the skin tones, I do have a couple of these and if I painted another I would go with something totally different.

Originally posted by painterboyroy

BTW this is ali;)

as everyone has said it looks great, no debate there :P

some things i think that could help would be some slight \"reflections\" of the tuqoise colour on the skin

right now you have a beautiful base reflecting some warm ochre colour on the skin and beautiful skin but the colours of the teddies seem out of nowhere and draw a bit too much attention in my opinion
    i think some turqoise and purple tones lightly applied on the skin in the areas around the teddies might help tie them in a bit better

as for the skin colour, i like it...but for a second one, you could maybe try to enhance the lighting...or use stronger tones of yellow or blues to kinda assist with her \"sadness\"

i had the fig originally, but decided in the end i didnt want to paint it

my idea was to have her in a dark room(cement wall and floor like a jail sell)

the scene would of been heavily darkened, a brighter/pale and faint skin tone colour, possibly enhanced with some yellow browns and or blues

the plinth would of had a corner section of a room...enough to be able to use the darkness of the walls and lack of lighting to contrast her lighter skin

Originally posted by fluffy
    Just out of curiosity, what colour would you have gone for Avelorn? Though I am happy with the skin tones, I do have a couple of these and if I painted another I would go with something totally different.
    I would probably make the shadows greyer and more bluish I\'d basically keep the midtone (just slightly colder) perhaps a bit more nuances to the lights as well.

I\'d also add some blemishes and reddish tones on her back and on knuckles, elbows. Even painting slightly visible veins on some places. Then use the same tones but fainter on some places but especially right between midtones and highlights for emulating stretched or tarnished skin. As starks333 mentions it would be a good idea to introduce some faint versions of the strong colours in the skin as well just to tie it all together. For me the skin looks almost like parchment now, a \"washed out\" look, which imo is more suitable on an older character. What I would go for is a more pale \"tainted youth\" look... if that makes sense :rolleyes:;)

The back and shoulders are covered in very fine veining and the shading has subtle greens and purples.I think the photo has actually bleached out some of the subtle painting in the skin. And I brought other ties to the torquoise in the underwater pebbles and the streak in her hair.

I totally see where you\'re coming from, though you can probably tell from my other paintjobs I try to keep the skin tones pretty subtle. I\'m sure some might say flat but I see lots of painting where there\'s too much colour variation in the skin, just for the sake of it.

MatheuL uses fantastic skin tones. His minis look like old masters....don\'t ya think?

WOW totally stunning, those pebbles are just incredable! you always have and always will be my favourite artist -

Mike you rock :D

Chris :cool:

Pssst!!

Originally posted by jerry kurl
    Originally posted by nick232

BTW this is ali;)

Mike mcvey was the reason I got into painting 12 years ago, and his work continues to inspire :) thanks matey!

Originally posted by Ritual
    Pssst!!

Originally posted by jerry kurl
    Originally posted by nick232

BTW this is ali;)
    This is Alison McVey, several points of difference:
    A) Height
    B) Hair Colour
    C) Freckles
    D) Is incredibly animated (do not supply with Espresso. :) )
    E) Female

Similarity: Bl***y great painter.

Hello Ali!
    Very very good minis, the base and the diorama is astonishing and there is a lot of atmosphere and pathos on this work!
    Congratulation, as always! :)
    Massimiliano.

P.S.:
    But this mini seems a little slim compared with the sculpt of emanuele... isn\'t it? Or it\'s only an impression? (talking about the sculpture, not the paintjob... but this lovely girl seem more fleshy in the original sculpt!)