Jester in Green

Thread: Jester in Green

Default Jester in Green

Finally finished

I have to say that the detail on this was excellent, lots of little touches like the wear on the belt and all the little dotted markings along the seams, even if I didn\'t do too much with them :) Anyway, I think it came out quite well, and the red on the base didn\'t seem too overpowering. One thing I\'ve noticed is that as I concentrated on the effect of the figure, some of the larger images show that the painting definitely isn\'t as smooth and careful as I used to be. So I\'ll be concentrating on general technique a bit more on my next piece while trying to retain the contrast.

The plasticard was quite easy to use for making the stairs, so I\'ll have to see what else I can do with it soon. So I might do some more interior bases shortly.

Also these are the first images I photo-shopped the background in. I thought it might be nice to carry on the green theme and didn\'t have a sheet of greenish paper so finally tried to use the magic wand stuff (Using corel at work, not GIMP). So I\'d like to know what you think about the background and if it works.

Anyway, here\'s a full set of proper sized images
    Image 1 : Front
    Image 2 : Front Right
    Image 3 : Front Left
    Image 4 : Rear Right
    Image 5 : Rear Left

And here\'s the set from CMoN
    I wanted to show a few views so went for several smaller pics

Oh, and the CMoN voting link if you are interested
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/204690

Very great job... great atmosphere, an amazing piece! :beer:

sg2009

very nice :beer:

where is that mini from ???

Originally posted by sg2009
    Read what Conrad wrote in the comment field of the miniature post. ;)

Well done, Conrad! I won\'t repeat what I wrote on OzPainters... But you know pretty well by now what I think! :)

sg2009

Originally posted by Ritual
    Originally posted by sg2009
    Read what Conrad wrote in the comment field of the miniature post. ;)

Well done, Conrad! I won\'t repeat what I wrote on OzPainters... But you know pretty well by now what I think! :)

Now that I like - a nice study and I\'m putting up a good 9 due to the atmos. Huzzah!

hmm, i\'m not sure to be honest. its beautifully painted its just my eye keeps getting drawn to the red carpet rather than the jester.
    As i said the paintjob is great and far superior to my efforts, its just the wrong focal point that lets it down a little for me, sorry.

Originally posted by darklord
    hmm, i\'m not sure to be honest. its beautifully painted its just my eye keeps getting drawn to the red carpet rather than the jester.
    As i said the paintjob is great and far superior to my efforts, its just the wrong focal point that lets it down a little for me, sorry.
    No problem, to some extent I agree with you and I was thinking of giving the dark side of the face a touch of GW Scaly Green to tweak things slightly. Though I do not think the carpet is so prominent in real life. Still thats not much of an excuse, and I do seem to have an issue with getting the focal point right on several pieces.

Originally posted by darklord
    hmmm i know what you mean, but i love it all nevertheless

oh i still think its great, but im sure he welcomes critique as much as us mere mortals!!

its because the red carpet breaks the monochrome effect you had

you have no colour anywhere, then all of a sudden red, its why it distracts the eye

if you brought colour into the jester and wood, and tinted the red more green/blueish it would fit in more

the jester doesnt look apart of the environment because the colours of the environment arent shown in the jester

smaller objects are affected by larger objects, and thus people/creatures are affected by the environment...colour and \"light\"

so while i know you wanted to reflect the jester to the environment, it doesnt truly make sense

an easy way to figure out, place an object outside in the sun...then bring it under a tree, what happens to the colour when it is no longer in direct sight of light? (it should blue if the sky is blue, red if the sky is red)

shadows or areas outside of natural light take on the colour of the atmosphere...in rooms that have man made lighting, they tend to take on the atmosphere in areas not in the man made lighting, but usually slightly warmer shadow tones if the object is in the lighting depending on how intense the lighting and such is(im thinking a very woody room with brassy objects and such..the shadows would likely be a bit warmer because of the large amount of browns and brasses)

i like the scene, i just think it would look better with the colour adjustments

I can kind of see what some mean, but it offers a nice contrast to these weary eyes of mine. No gripes here :D