MIlliput problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIlliput problems

Default MIlliput problems

ok, so today i had my first go with milliput, i have silver grey. i mix two slivers up from the 2 sticks, and it was just crumbly and wouldnt hold its shape, and came off in my hands with water. what am i doing wrong?

admittedly, the pieces were from the very ends of the sticks, is this significant?

thanks, he\'stan

sg2009

basically when u add water to milliput it goes like clay with water, and milliput does crumble that why people dont use it to sculpt smaller minis, milliput is only good for certain things like making blades bases etc

This is why I recommend MagicSculp.

Okay, it\'s one of the reasons I recommend MS :D

Einion

did you leave it for a about 45 mins. before using it? I had similar problems with it and leaving it to set for a while makes it easier to work with

don\'t use it it\'s crap
    there are newer and far easier to use two part putties, Magic Sculpt as Einion mentioned
    Pro-Create, Green Stuff, Brown Stuff, A+B to name a few
    have a look over at

Heresy or

Sylmasta

and if you fancy a venture into polymer clays there\'s also Super Sculpey firm from the Polymer Clay Pit. I\'ve also used Kato and Premo clays, the advantage of PC\'s is the indefinate working time. They set by baking them in the oven, you can bake in stages to set work you don\'t want destroyed

any way hope that helps,
    I just hate milliput, sorry, it\'s ancient and old and it\'s what \"your grandad\" used \'cause there wasn\'t anything else! Except Squadron Green Putty, and that\'s just as sh1t!! :D;)

I am going to order some of that Pro Create putty and see how it is.

it\'s good, you can alter it\'s properties by changing the mix ratio. I don\'t have it to hand, but the instructions are clear

I have the green- grey milliput and it\'s not so bad. I haven\'t sculpted anything fancy with it, but using talc really helps.
    But I\'ve preferred using grey-stuff.

hmm.... This is a little discouraging to me I guess..

I just bought some milliput and I was going to use it mainly for casting, I was pretty sure I read articles on casting in which they used milliput, and actually recommended it

I guess I will have to have my own go at it

I\'ve found to my cost that Milliput has a very narrow shelf life, so if it\'s been sat in a store for a while it could easily have become \"stale\".
    Otherwise I\'ve found using it can be \"Messy\" as it\'s not like either Pro-Create or Green stuff. However it\'s best quality is to make a smoothing \"Soup\" with the application of copious amounts of water.
    Automaton uses this on, what appears to be, most of his figures prior to painting and look at the results he gets. Mind you being a class painter helps as well.

Mix green stuf with it and it becomes less chalky, but still retains its ability to be sanded.

Originally posted by RuneBrush
    Mix green stuf with it and it becomes less chalky, but still retains its ability to be sanded.
    yep, that\'s something i do as well.

Originally posted by droogie77
    I am going to order some of that Pro Create putty and see how it is.
    MS is better overall, including being cheaper, for anyone that already has some GS.

Edit: so you don\'t waste what you currently have, some Milliput tips:
    don\'t use any dried-out skin on either roll if there is any - cut it off and throw it away;
    store both rolls separately, in something completely airtight;
    talc a little before you blend.

I\'d also recommend, although it\'s not essential, that you mix at least pea-sized blobs of the stuff and nothing smaller.

Oh and wash your hands thoroughly after mixing if you\'re not wearing gloves!

Einion

i do still believe that it has it\'s place, even if it\'s not that much fun to work with. It makes for a fine basing material, and you can get really sharp smooth edges with it. I use it for press moulding sometimes, and a little with some water fills in annoying gaps rather well. Don\'t get disheartened with it, it is just a pain to use

Originally posted by cybersquig
    i do still believe that it has it\'s place, even if it\'s not that much fun to work with.
    Indeed - a number of the best historical miniatures had masters made from one or other of the Milliput types, which is proof enough that it can produce work of the highest quality.

But there are many things easier to use and that have a longer shelf life and are cheaper.

In terms of sculpting, and not other uses like filling rough surfaces, I think the bottom line is this: anything it can do that the competitors can\'t?

Einion

Originally posted by Einion
    Originally posted by cybersquig
    i do still believe that it has it\'s place, even if it\'s not that much fun to work with.
    Indeed - a number of the best historical miniatures had masters made from one or other of the Milliput types, which is proof enough that it can produce work of the highest quality.

But there are many things easier to use and that have a longer shelf life and are cheaper.

In terms of sculpting, and not other uses like filling rough surfaces, I think the bottom line is this: anything it can do that the competitors can\'t?

Einion
    hmm...yep, agreed.

Originally posted by boristfrog
    I have the green- grey milliput and it\'s not so bad. I haven\'t sculpted anything fancy with it, but using talc really helps.
    But I\'ve preferred using grey-stuff.
    talc is great. i have the superfine white that works fine. keep it fresh by freezing what you aren\'t using. cut off and defrost small bits as you use it and keep the sticks separate in air sealed, dark containers

it all sounds like a lot of effort, are there any massive flaws with just using grren stuff?

Anything worth doing involves effort :D

personally ive found milliput brilliant for sculpting the basic underlying structure of muscles on larger creatures like dragons and then using procreate or green stuff over the top. it can be used effectively and the smoothing paste is very good. it is brittle though and will crack which found out when a dragon i was sculpting fell onto its wing and the milliput cracked with so much force it snapped the wire mesh underneath