New Submission Guideline
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Submission Guideline

Default New Submission Guideline

As the site grows, we are getting more and more submissions everyday. Just want to remind everyone that quality is always better than quantity. CMON is a big show and tell. People come here for many reasons, but above all there are 2 very important ones. 1) To look at beautiful paintjobs/conversions/sculpts and the latest technique. 2) To get feedback on their own pieces so that they can improve. I think so far CMON has served those two purposes well.

As of today, I am going to stop authorizing pictures with the following qualities:

1) overly blurry pictures. I am not talking about just slightly out of focus. Not all of us can be a pro at taking pictures, but I just don\'t understand submitting a pic that is totally pixelised or so out of focus that you cannot see what it is. Our memeber don\'t enjoy seeing them and you certainly are not going to get any feedback that is going to help you in any shape or form other than ones that tell you to get a better picture. Therefore they have no purpose on this site.

2) Pictures that are sideways will no longer be permitted. If you don\'t know how to rotate a picture, you can turn your camera to take another one or ask someone on the forum, I am sure it is not that difficult.

3) Thumbnails will also no longer be permitted, I am talking about pictures that are under 100 pixels wide.

Now, I am not going to go through the entire database to look for these pics in violation, but I will not allow any new ones, and if any of the ones in question becomes broken and need re-authorization, it will be deleted.

Thank you again for all your support and your submissions.

And there was much rejoicing :duh:

Default Great stuff!!!

I have been an advocate of this for ages and have, on occasion, been accused of being an elitest, but surely this makes sense?

I don\'t see a down side to this. (It may preserve this coffin dodgers failing eyesight for a little bit longer.)
    To all those people who do want to post and are struggling to get a decent photo--- Read the articles. Honza\'s guide to taking photo\'s with one light is fairly easy to put into practise. And practise is all it takes.

EDIT: What about the greatest bugbear of everyone here- \"Another mini/ Une autre figurine\" :flame:
    Secondly No write up to give any indication of the what the mini is supposed to be or how it was done. (but I suppose that may just be putting to much pressure to censorship for the moderators).

I agree. Especially with the sheer volume of images on this site, it\'s disheartening to see an image that MIGHT be well painted or where you could probably give decent feedback if it could be seen.

Know your camera\'s limitations. This can be found out as easily as reading the instruction booklet. And also, MS Paint can only go so far. Download GIMP, it\'s free and does wonders and is SOOOOO much better than Paint (and even comparable to Photoshop).

No, I have yet to post pictures on here because 1) I\'m lazy about taking pics and when I do take them I\'m darn picky. If it\'s not perfect it doesn\'t get posted. 2) I have a film camera. I\'m lazy about getting film developed as well. Only recently I got some that was 2 years old developed. I still have more. 3) If it\'s not absolutely perfect, I don\'t post it, and since this goes for color and contrast and exposure.. well, I don\'t post it. 4) The one mini I\'ve finished in 13 years (didn\'t I say it has to be perfect? lol) fell and broke. Thus, nothing to post. *sigh* :(

I will use scans on occasion for feedback (but I don\'t post them in the gallery) and generally they aren\'t the best and not all minis scan well.

And that\'s another gripe of mine. Posting a half-finished mini for feedback in the gallery when you can easily do that here in the forums and get faster feedback. I\'ve seen some done multiple times and still haven\'t seen one of the finished product. ???

Originally posted by finn17
    I have been an advocate of this for ages and have, on occasion, been accused of being an elitest, but surely this makes sense?
    I don\'t think this is at all elitist. My opposition is to a flat number limit or a time limit for how long it can stay up or a limit based on score. A requirement that it be a decent photo is a good thing if you ask me. Of course, CA didn\'t and that\'s his perogative!lol

Originally posted by ZaPhOd
    And there was much rejoicing :duh:
    Yay... :D

And you must take your pictures with.... This Herring! lol lol :duh: lol

Sorry, couldnt resist.
    On a more serious note I am glad there will be some closer examination of the pictures. :cool:
    However, Will you be sending the contributer a reason why there picture is rejected or are they just going to have to figure it out on their own? ???

Originally posted by borg
    3) Thumbnails will also no longer be permitted, I am talking about pictures that are under 100 pixels wide.
    I don\'t think this is enough. I think 300 pixels is a better value.

You may want add a rule of not allowing pictures that are large but the subject of the photo only takes up a small fraction of the photo. Something like a rule that the subject of the photo needs to take up 50% of the photo?

Finally, will people be alerted when their photo is not accepted, or will it just disappear without a trace?

Hurray for the new rules! I also have to second Vincegamers motion of limiting the number of pictures allowed for each artist. I always looked at CMoN as a place to showcase your BEST work and try to improve on it, not a place to upload pictures of every mini you have ever painted. Just my two cents. :)

Guys, lets not forget the site is \"Cool\" Mini... so maybe you have a classic mini that is absolutely wicked, but the paint sucks. Is it still a Cool Mini? Would it inspire someone to seek it out and paint it better? I think these entries are very valid!

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    EDIT: What about the greatest bugbear of everyone here- \"Another mini/ Une autre figurine\" :flame:
    Secondly No write up to give any indication of the what the mini is supposed to be or how it was done. (but I suppose that may just be putting to much pressure to censorship for the moderators).
    I agree. Especially when you\'re surfing through looking at a specific mini from a specific manufacturer for ideas and color scheme brainstorms, it\'s frustrating. I\'d hate to do a search for \"Another Mini\" and see what comes up. :wow:

I made a point to go surfing on the net to identify all my miniatures, even the ancient ones I had no idea what they were. I was able to find out three of them were Superior models from the early 80\'s... Gueniviere, Merlin with Owl, and Gandolf. I had always called them that, but I couldn\'t remember why. But, at least I know the manufacturer and name of the mini so when I do manage to paint them up (guen has been stripped and is primed now, awaiting to be repainted) I can identify them properly.

Then again, I\'ve been known for my anal retentiveness. lol

Edit: Zaph, that\'s what your site is for. :D

Default DearHeart misunderstood me

I\'m against the limitations I mentioned above. I don\'t want to dump my older posts and I don\'t want to ask Angela to dump any of hers.

I\'m also against reducing the limit of submitted pictures. It\'s already limited to 100, and I think that\'s a fine number.

Guys, lets not forget the site is \"Cool\" Mini... so maybe you have a classic mini that is absolutely wicked, but the paint sucks. Is it still a Cool Mini? Would it inspire someone to seek it out and paint it better? I think these entries are very valid!
    Hear! Hear! I wholeheartedly agree!
    Just because its been agreed to eliminate \"Overly blurry\" photos, let\'s not turn this into a witch hunt to eliminate everything that we find annoying.

I don\'t believe this is a site to view ONLY the best minis. I believe its supposed to be a site that allows you to get feedback on yhour minis, whatever your experience level. Afterall, if we\'re just going to show the best, why not have the ratings system just go from 9 to 10?

That is all I am going to do for now, as I am the one who authorize the pics most of the time, if I find them to be substandard, I will let you know. But don\'t worry, I am not going to be all picky and reject everything, that is not the intent. I just want the site to be easy on the eye. It is ok if your paintjob is not super, but at least have the respect to present them properly.

You guys can feel free to discuss this with Chern on other restrictions. I am just doing the basics as they have been \'bothering\' me and I have the power to stop it lollol I think it will make the site better in the long run... and it will just make Chern go through more and more email asking why their images are rejected :bouncy:

Originally posted by Aryanun

I agree. Especially when you\'re surfing through looking at a specific mini from a specific manufacturer for ideas and color scheme brainstorms, it\'s frustrating. I\'d hate to do a search for \"Another Mini\" and see what comes up. :wow:

I made a point to go surfing on the net to identify all my miniatures, even the ancient ones I had no idea what they were. I was able to find out three of them were Superior models from the early 80\'s... Gueniviere, Merlin with Owl, and Gandolf. I had always called them that, but I couldn\'t remember why. But, at least I know the manufacturer and name of the mini so when I do manage to paint them up (guen has been stripped and is primed now, awaiting to be repainted) I can identify them properly.

Then again, I\'ve been known for my anal retentiveness. lol

Edit: Zaph, that\'s what your site is for. :D
    Fantastic, I\'m glad that you search for what your mini was originally. As for me, and a great many others I\'m betting, are just to lazy and put whatever describes the mini to us. And I know of at least one peson who posts minis as Another Mini because he likes you to guess what they are. I like this; it shows us both how far minis have come and is entertaining to boot! :flip::bouncy:

NO MORE CENSORSHIP!

Originally posted by Taer
    As for me, and a great many others I\'m betting, are just to lazy and put whatever describes the mini to us. And I know of at least one peson who posts minis as Another Mini because he likes you to guess what they are. I like this; it shows us both how far minis have come and is entertaining to boot! :flip::bouncy:
    Well, I don\'t find it entertaining. I find it lazy as you admitted and a damn cheek to expect anyone to vote, never mind comment on a mini you can\'t be arsed to identfy.
    Its a free world however, and you can post (almost) anything you like, but if you can\'t be sufficiently bothered to identify your mini, you can expect a reduced vote from me and absolutely no chance of a comment.
    As for your mate, who likes us to guess, well I am rapidly getting to the point where \'another mini\' simply gets \'another vote\'. Because I am a bit lazy as well and would rather hit the 1 than be arsed with guessing.....:mad:

Stuff like THIS THING drive me nuts...

Sorry. Post the damn mini, or at least a pic worth my time looking at...

Default And...It still gets 4.6!!!

Stuff like THIS THING drive me nuts...

Sorry. Post the damn mini, or at least a pic worth my time looking at...
    I said it....above...up there...

Blog Entries

Thank you Borg. I know this is not going to make your job easier, but having looked through and voted on most of the minis on the site, all I can say is now I may not have to get new glasses. lol