Board Games Reccomendations? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Board Games Reccomendations?

Blog Entries

I have always loved Formula De. And though it is a card game, not a board game, Bang! is awesome as well. Bang plays kind of like a CCG but you don\'t have to do the collecting; everything is given to you right up front.

Has anybody here ever played HeroQuest? I have 2 copies of it and thought about introducing my 8-year old son to it.

Originally posted by Zora
    Has anybody here ever played HeroQuest? I have 2 copies of it and thought about introducing my 8-year old son to it.
    Yes, bizarrely I\'ve also got two copies. Think your eight year old would love it. It\'s a great introductory game.

Someone on Hirstarts has put together a fantastic 3D dungeon using the rooms from Heroquest that you should checkout.

We also play Talisman and Warhammer Quest. I\'ve made a huge 3D dungeon for WQ which greatly adds to the atmosphere (see pics) and my \'dream project\' is a 3D Talisman board complete with realms.

I like stratego... and mouse trap :D

No hesitation about it. :bouncy: I still remember the feeling of opening my Heroquest back in 1990 and I still can\'t compare it with anything. (Well, almost anything :D)
    Heroquest rocks. I bought descent just because I cannot find anything else to resemble it up till now and not all of my pals are up to RPGing. And not all evenings can be Soul Calibur tournament evenings.Right?

Soul Calibur tournament evenings?

Care to explain? SC4?

A very dear friend of mine is an avid boardgamer... not sure if you are familiar with www.boardgamegeek.com but it\'s a great resource if you\'re not.

pandemic is a recent favorite.

Cave Troll is a fun fantasy themed game.

I ALSO have 2 copies of Heroquest? ??? At one point I remember seeing this game for $5 each at Toys R Us way back when... oh to have had foresight.

Advanced Heroquest is a real gem if you can find it. It\'s the best balance of RPG and Boardgame I can find... I have 2 of those also! :D

I can\'t remember where I got my first HeroQuest game, but I picked it up because it had roleplaying scenery I could use: bookcases, tables, chair, etc. At a time when scenery was unheard of for a GM.

The second one I found at a garage sale and it is complete, I believe. That was when I determined the first one wasn\'t complete, because this one had plastic minis! And more terrain scenery. Woohoo! And for $3?

Have never played it, though. My son would like it probably, as he\'s getting more and more interested in what kind of game dad\'s playing on Sundays. ;)

Monopoly is a classic, my 8 year old son got a copy for his birthday last month and the kids love it. It\'s the new \'family night\' standard. I\'m sure that\'s not quite what you were looking for but the classics never get old.

Now most of my favorites are old Avalon Hill games, Gladiator being #1 by quite a lot. Diplomacy is up there to be sure. Most AH games are long out of production but still available on the eBay market and such. I own two copies of Gladiator myself and have often put thought into finding out who has the rights to it and seeing if I can buy them and republish.

I played one many moons ago that I thought was fantastic called Scotland Yard.
    Description [Edit] [History] One of the players takes on the role of Mr. X. His job is to move from point to point around the map of London taking taxis, buses or subways. The detectives, the remaining players acting in concert, move around similarly in an effort to move into the same space as Mr. X. But while the criminal\'s mode of transportation is nearly always known, his exact location is only known intermittently throughout the game.

I\'ve been playing HeroQuest for months now, with my lady\'s boy (not lady boy - they\'re quite different), her nephew and her good self. It\'s amazing and I am with the chap who said he can still remember the feeling of opening the box for the first time - incredible! I\'m trying to get onto a quality HQ site at the mo but it\'s having issues with verifications. B\'stards! Has anyone ever run away with the idea and used floor plans?

I would be interested in purchasing Advanced HQ if anyone has it....

The idea of Heroquest is very appealing to me, but I\'d be more interested in a \'Sci-Fi\' type story....

Is there anything like that out there?

Space Crusade was the same thing but in space. Sort of.

Why do I always find these games years out after they are out of print!

Space Crusade seems like a dummied down version of Space Hulk.

Not saying that is bad, just saying.

You\'re not far wrong there Vikey! Still was a hoot though. Used to play it quite a bit...

Thanks guys! I\'ll definitely have to read HeroQuest and give it a try with my son.

Care to explain? SC4?
    Yes actually SC4.Though SC3 had a much better gameplay IMHO.
    But I fell like highjacking the topic here...:redface:

Perhaps we could start a SC thread:)

Mousetrap..that was always a killer game!

Originally posted by Masuuruhiito

Care to explain? SC4?
    Yes actually SC4.Though SC3 had a much better gameplay IMHO.
    But I fell like highjacking the topic here...:redface:

Perhaps we could start a SC thread:)
    Bah! Hijacking is expected on these forums. lol

Personally, I preferred SC2. Never really got into 3 much. And SC4 is okay, but I don\'t care for the fact that all of the \"random\" characters are just a different face with other characters\' moves.

I used to LOVE mousetrap!

I don\'t think I ever PLAYED the actual game of mousetrap.

But I built that little mouse trap contraption over and over again....

Ah, the joys of youth.