Howling Griffons

Thread: Howling Griffons

Default Howling Griffons

Here is one of the many projects I am working on, seem to have a lot to do atm which is a good thing. This one is a commission for the same person I have been doing the Legion of the damned army for, some of you may have seen those in my galllery. This one is a priority as he wants it done as a Christmas gift for his brother. I have to say that the yellow and red colour scheme for the howling griffons is quite time consuming due to the consistency of the paints but luckily it has been made a lot easier with the foundation paints. I have a High Elf army from around 5 years ago.which is done in a similar colour scheme and I remember those taking quite awhile. The miniatures are going to be taken off there bases and fixed to the display base so it should look a lot nicer. I am hoping to do there armour with a bit of battle damage as I imagine them to be fighting a last stand defending some sort of important structure. The base was not my idea but the flooring and the rubble (had to hack the base away a bit) were something I added to it. Anyway, will get some more updates soon, I have actually done a bit more work on them but have to get some more recent photos.

Mold lines! on the front of the bolters!!! Look like solid base coats none the less

Yeah you get some nasty mold lines on the plastic ones but don\'t worry then have been taken care of. I always seem to miss one though and don\'t notice it until I get into the detail painting.

I really like that scheme, particularly the yellow. The head is pretty sweet too. You have a pretty clean style no over the top highlights.

Are you going to have something else on the banner? Some kind of icon or heraldry?

Thanx

I probaly will highlight the armour a bit more mind but nothing to drastic, I have already spent far to long on it for what I am getting paid :rolleyes:.

As for the banner I am going to attempt a griffon logo on it and also probaly on his red shoulder pad (wish me luck).

Originally posted by Brother Tom
    (wish me luck)
    Good luck! :D

Now, the red and yellow were red and yellow Foundation paints? Or you started with a different color? I\'m curious because I\'m planning to use about the same colors, so since these look nice thought I\'d take a shot at the same.

good stuff tom! it\'ll be interesting to see you finish something quickly!!

@PegaZus - well I intended to use the foundation paints just so i could get the basecoat done quicker. The red is a basecoat of mechrite red then I gave in a wash of 50/50 ish scab red and black for the deepest shading, I then used scab red to cover the armour and highlighted with red gore, then 50/50 red gore and blood red.
    As for the yellow I basecoated with iyanden darksun then washed with calthan brown and a little darksun added. this was then built up by adding more darksun to the mix until it was pure, I then did a 50/50 mix of calthan brown and black to seperate the armour sections.

Anyway here is the latest update, I probaly would highlight further but I won\'t due to the time factor.

Originally posted by Brother Tom
    @PegaZus - well I intended to use the foundation paints just so i could get the basecoat done quicker. The red is a basecoat of mechrite red then I gave in a wash of 50/50 ish scab red and black for the deepest shading, I then used scab red to cover the armour and highlighted with red gore, then 50/50 red gore and blood red.
    As for the yellow I basecoated with iyanden darksun then washed with calthan brown and a little darksun added. this was then built up by adding more darksun to the mix until it was pure, I then did a 50/50 mix of calthan brown and black to seperate the armour sections.
    Thanks, that\'s what I wanted to know. I\'m probably going to be painting over black primer, and maybe metallic silver, so I\'ll probably go with the foundations you mentioned.

And the free looks really nice, BTW.

Hi, here is another update of the work so far, can\'t spend as long on some of the areas as I would like to, on a bit of a deadline for this one.

this looks really good love the base you got the models on. love the shading and highlightin on the yellow always a colour i struggle with:)

Well I have managed to finish it, I may add a bit of grass and apply some gloss to the floor but I am pretty happy with it as it is.
    This piece was done a bit more quickly than I would usually paint so I have applied some quicker techniques. Lots of foundation paints and inks really helps speed it up a bit but i have also not highlighted these to much. I don\'t like to take \'shortcuts\' but that has to happen sometimes with commission pieces. Hope I don\'t make myself sound to bad there as I still put a lot of work into it and it was good fun. Anyway some pictures!

Also here are some pictures of the freehand I have done on the space marines, which you can\'t see. The wing and claw symbol is something from a Brettonian transfer sheet which I thought was quite fitting for this chapter so I copied that. Also it is much more simpler than the Griffon I have done on the banner, that would have been a real pain to do on the shoulders!

nice work tom! i\'m sure he\'ll be well pleased

voted not my cup of tea but the your brush work is excellent