World Expo 2011 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: World Expo 2011

Is there any idea around what time of the year this will be ? I\'ll most probably be an exchange student in some far away place for the first half of 2011 so hopeing it\'ll be in the second half ( when I\'ll either be a newly graduated Jobless bum, or a newly graduated eager young recruit).

Originally posted by PrawnPower
    There are now dates for the event
    The dates are 19,20,21 August
    :rolleyes:

;)

Originally posted by Ritual
    Originally posted by PrawnPower
    There are now dates for the event
    The dates are 19,20,21 August
    :rolleyes:

;)
    ah....yes..... :redface:

of to get the whipe ...

Thanks Green Stuff, but none of the links to offsite stuff would open for me.

I am very much looking forward to getting more infor about contest, and I\'ll need plenty of help getting my skills up and running for this.

How do you decide what category to enter? Or is that picked for you on the day?

@scott
    Check the link in my post after Cédric\'s above for some info, results etc. from last expo.

Deciding which category to enter is not that difficult. It\'s not that many categories, really. For fantasy it\'s just regular and master painting and the open or transformation category, for scratchbuilt or heavily converted stuff (only master level at last expo, whereas on Ravage Mix Open, for instance, there\'s a confirmed here as well). Same for historicals. If you want to be compared to the very best, enter master. Otherwise, go for confirmed or regular, or whatever it may be called.

Thanks Anders. Man, reading my posts do I ever sound THICK!

Beautiful models on the fornt page their. I will have to translate it and check it out tonight.

I have two years, I think I will try for Masters. I think I\'d prefer losing with the best!

@Scott : just for info, unless you\'ve already got trophies in other contests, some organising clubs will steer you to the category that they think fits you the best. I\'m not saying that this is what will happen at the 2011 World Expo or that it\'s a bad thing; just that it can happen, and often it\'s a good thing because they\'ve seen past and present entries and so have a more \"global\" vision.

Nonetheless, I can only admire your motivation ;).

Do you already have plans on your preparation? Aims on technics to master? Themes for your entries?

Originally posted by green stuff
    @Scott : just for info, unless you\'ve already got trophies in other contests, some organising clubs will steer you to the category that they think fits you the best. I\'m not saying that this is what will happen at the 2011 World Expo or that it\'s a bad thing; just that it can happen, and often it\'s a good thing because they\'ve seen past and present entries and so have a more \"global\" vision.

Nonetheless, I can only admire your motivation ;).

Do you already have plans on your preparation? Aims on technics to master? Themes for your entries?
    Wellllll..... sounds like I might go for the intermediate category.

If I had to draw up a plan today, I would say I would like to enter 54mm or bigger. Seems to me that 28mm unless part of a bigger display might not get the attention of the bigger scales.

Technique and all that... dunno, all of them I guess! I really like the pegaso fantasy 54mm stuff plus the Orc GenerulPoleaxe put out, and I have 3 of the pegaso plus the orc to start. In a perfect world I would like to bring half a dozen entries.

-At least one of Chris/GenerulPoleaxe\'s mini\'s. If not the Orc then somethign new between now and then

-At least one of the Knight models 70mm Marvel characters. Captain America would be my most likely entry there. Gotta learn the white-fu I suppose!

-The one I would pour my heart and brains into is the model from andrea, or maybe it\'s pegaso? of the seated Conan on throne model. I love it.

Problem is I am really not all that keen on developing or painting diorama style mini\'s. the top of a 50mm display plinth is about as far as my hearts desire can take me currently, and even that is a stretch. Is there much attention really given to models on their own vs. a really elaborate diorama?

So keep on practicing will be the mantra I suppose. I\'ve been getting great help from the community already, but I am especially gonna try and pick the brains of some of the vet\'s of this comp and I\'d love to add you to the list if that\'s cool. It\'s worth a shiny new beer at the event if you guys can guarantee me a gold medal!

I am looking forward to the trip and meeting some fellow painters and learning stuff first and foremost.

edit-Oh yeah, and If I own any mini\'s from people I know have given me adivce over the last year then I will make an effort to paint at least one up and bring it. Seb. Archers Dark apprentice springs to mind.

Message original : ScottRadom
    Problem is I am really not all that keen on developing or painting diorama style mini\'s. the top of a 50mm display plinth is about as far as my hearts desire can take me currently, and even that is a stretch.
    Sometimes, less is better ;) :

http://www.coolminiornot.com/52470

Also, you\'re generally judged on the whole of your entries. So it\'s best to have an as even technical level as possible. As for what to bring, anything goes really. Some prefer to have a general theme, others will have each mini show a different technic.

As for the individual mini/diorama dilemna; things have evolved a lot these last years with historical and fantasy criteria fusionning. I\'d say it\'s more of a plinth over base thing. Not necessarily because of the size, but more because it\'s easier to handle a plinth than a short base.

Well that\'s my two cents :P.

As to what category to enter, there may be some advice on the day, but maybe there wont! In the 2005 expo in Boston, a friend entered into the intermediate class and was encouraged to move his stuff to the Masters.....he was over the moon when he got a commended....HOWEVER.....in 2008 in Girona, for some reason commendeds were not awarded, so he would have got nothing (which did happen to someone else)

I wouldn\'t be concerned with avoiding 28mm because it wont catch the judges eye.....remember that everybody\'s entries get judged, they go over each set of entries in turn, and judge them....no skipping involved!

In the meantime I would suggest just continuing to paint what appeals to you best and continue trying to improve....you can take as many models as you like, but you are allowed to enter just one if you wish. You may find that you\'re more pleased with a model you paint next week than one you paint a week before the expo....
    Themes are nice, but not essential; if the type of models you make can be themed, fine, but don\'t strive to produce a theme. Enjoy youre modelling first and foremost.

Based on my experience from last World Expo (which doesn\'t mean it will be exactly the same at next one...) there were no bias from the judges against 28-30 mm minis. Two out of five minis in my display were small Hasslefree miniatures on simple bases (Hatherley, the dwarf, and Mystic Jen). Then I had two busts and the Enigma gnome, which was the only one with fairly elaborate base work.

That being said, the size of the minis you enter and the basing etc. does, of course, have an effect on how impressive your display seem to the audience. But this has no bearing on the judging.

I have raised the subject of going camping in Switzerland in 2011, August time. As a \'family holiday\' nudge nudge...

She thought it was a good idea :D

(Mr Burns moment) Excellent...

Anyone got any on the ground experience with this part of Switzerland? Anyone know of a cool hotel nearby that we can all hook up at? I\'m big into budgeting for this kind of thing and would love to know how much the bill for this thing is gonna be. The flight, if I left this summer, would be ridiculously cheap. Tough to foresee what it\'ll be like in 2 years.

@Scott: I visited Geneva a few years ago which is on the southern bank of Lake Geneva (Montreux being located on the northern banks.) It\'s an amazing area, very scenic with much to do. Definitely worth staying a few extra days if you can, just to go site seeing. Also worth mentioning, not too far away is Gruyeres which is a very picturesque middle ages castle with an adjoining town set atop a hill with the foothills of the Alps surrounding it. It\'s definitely all worth the visit.

Cool. I\'ll be travelling stag so hopefully some other peeps have some time to take in soe of the touristy stuff. I can\'t imagine site seeing alone. If all else fails I\'ll have to rent one of them Swiss yodeling hookers that are so prevalent over there.

Haha.

I would love to go if finances permit. Got two years to save up so it may actually be a possibility.