Need help - making piles of gold coins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help - making piles of gold coins

Default Need help - making piles of gold coins

Hello everyone,

For the new large reaper dragon that is coming out, I want to make it appear to be in it\'s lair. I have done stalgmites/tites (whichever are on the ground :) and added bodies/skulls to bases before to make it appear as a dead zone, so that I am fine with, but what I want to do with this dragon is:

* using weapons, etc, make it appear to have magical equipment in it\'s treasure hoard (easy enough)

and

* make it appear to have large piles of gold, silver and platinum coins.

This, I do not know how to do...

I was gonna just use a large pile of modelling clay from games workshop and paint it as i want the coins to look but it would look more like a large pile of crap (literally).

How would i give such a pile of clay a surface texture like a pile of 10000s of coins?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks! :)

Sanjay Shanbhag
    sshanbhag@sympatico.ca

Default Me too!

Oh sorry... I just read the topic :D
    You could use thin plastic, like say a model sprue and slice it into very fine pieces with a sharp knife... a little glue and voila!

Hmm, you may think this is cheating, but when I did the Gelatinous Cube I wanted free floating coins in it. The simplest solution was to go down to my local craft store and search through the glitter for small round gold and silver glitter. I found it, and the scale is actually correct -- anything carved from plastic or sculpted would be too thick for a gold coin. I\'d recommend putting it on after the figure was painted, much like static grass.

Default Good idea...

Originally posted by Temperance
    The simplest solution was to go down to my local craft store and search through the glitter for small round gold and silver glitter. I found it, and the scale is actually correct -- anything carved from plastic or sculpted would be too thick for a gold coin. I\'d recommend putting it on after the figure was painted, much like static grass.
    It\'s not cheating in my book:D A good, simple and efficient solution..wonderful:bouncy:

Hmm, you may think this is cheating, but when I did the Gelatinous Cube I wanted free floating coins in it. The simplest solution was to go down to my local craft store and search through the glitter for small round gold and silver glitter. I found it, and the scale is actually correct -- anything carved from plastic or sculpted would be too thick for a gold coin. I\'d recommend putting it on after the figure was painted, much like static grass.
    Cheating would be if you hired a 28mm goldsmith to actually forge golden coins for you.:D
    I\'m with finn. A simple, efficient and creative solution - one likely to be stolen.... err, uh... borrowed.;)

to make coins (and also rivets), i roll out a big sausage of greenstuff and then cut sections off with a very sharp knife.

I can\'t think of anything that hasn\'t been already said. But I do remember seeing an old thread who was exactly about the same subject. And if I recall corectly there was a link to some place who sold stuff that could be used.

The other method I saw, and unfortunately I can\'t recall where, but it may have been on Dr. Faust\'s Painting Clinic site, it may not have. Anyways, the basics of it is simple. Put down you greenstuff where you want the coins to be. Take a wire that you have bent into a circle the size that you want your coins to be, and press this into the green stuff multiple times to create coins. I think the article I saw this in used it to make a treasure chest full of coins rather than a bid pileon the floor, but it should work as well.
    --Katie G.

Default where do I find this?

Originally posted by dauber22

Cheating would be if you hired a 28mm goldsmith to actually forge golden coins for you.:D
    I don\'t mind cheating, tell me where do I hire this little fella?

Does he have his own forge?

lol:duh:

Blog Entries

I actually asked this question about a year ago - got most of the same answers. I changed my mind on what I wanted to do however, and am now using model railroad ballast to represent melted gold from the dragons body heat.

Default simple yet effective....

You know, not to be overly sappy, but the question was posted how to make a coin pile, and you fine folks offered not one or two but at least five excellent ideas.

That is rather amazing to me.

:flip::bouncy:

aaaw, he\'s gonna cry, then i\'m gonna cry *sob*

I used a combination of gold links used in jewelery making as well as various semi precious stones and metals for my little treasure dragon. here is a link to the pic:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/img3dd63bea668b5.jpg

Kat

MaestroOfMayhem

I did the same thing once. For a very smal diorama type-thingy. I rolled a small snake of GS and waited for it to dry and cure then sliced it into small coin sized peices. Then I made some pile out of GS where I wanted the gold and shaped them into piles, and let them cure. I put a small layer of GS over the piles and pushed the coins into this layer and waited for it to dry then glued some other coins here and there so it looks bumpeir. I pnly did a small ammount of piles, for larger piles you could use some modelling clay or fimo, something cheap to do the sort-of armatures where you stick the coins onto.

I once made a dragon laying down on a pile of gold coins for Alternative Armies ; I roughly sculpted the mass of the coins and let it set, then flattened out some greenstuff into a really thin pancake with my fingers-tips (a little hand moisturizer helps :) ). I then layed the \'pancake\' over the hardened mass after applying a brush-full of cellulose thinners to each of the touching surfaces to ensure a good bond. After pressing the layer of fresh greenstuff down firmly all over; I smoothed it out, trimmed it to fit the mass and left it to \'stiffen\' for about 15 minutes. Then I simply pressed the end of a very small tube (actually it was a \'pop-a-point\' pencil with no lead!) all over the surface, starting at the lowest edge and working upwards in rings. Later I added smaller piles here and there (using the same method) and a sprinkling of individual coins stamped out of the cured off-cuts I trimmed from the \'pancake\'. Didn\'t take too long and the end effect was pretty good, as I remember :) .

Default not cheating...

...go to a woman\'s arts and craft shop...where they sell round glittering stuff that\'s sew onto clothings...or...those glittering stuff that they use to highlight their hair (girls have weird stuff)...it comes in various sizes.

You can always cannibalize the work of others (at least the sections you want) to either cast out or repaint as your treasure pile, like the treasure piles from Dwarven Forge...

Originally posted by UncleHex
    I once made a dragon laying down on a pile of gold coins for Alternative Armies ; I roughly sculpted the mass of the coins and let it set, then flattened out some greenstuff into a really thin pancake with my fingers-tips (a little hand moisturizer helps :) ). I then layed the \'pancake\' over the hardened mass after applying a brush-full of cellulose thinners to each of the touching surfaces to ensure a good bond. After pressing the layer of fresh greenstuff down firmly all over; I smoothed it out, trimmed it to fit the mass and left it to \'stiffen\' for about 15 minutes. Then I simply pressed the end of a very small tube (actually it was a \'pop-a-point\' pencil with no lead!) all over the surface, starting at the lowest edge and working upwards in rings. Later I added smaller piles here and there (using the same method) and a sprinkling of individual coins stamped out of the cured off-cuts I trimmed from the \'pancake\'. Didn\'t take too long and the end effect was pretty good, as I remember :) .
    Ah, like a cookie cutter! That\'s the best idea I\'ve heard yet! Simple and quick to do, with good results. I think the glitter would look a little funny, maybe a bit too thin?

Default Gold coins

Gold coins could be made by taking a piece of green stuff, rolling it flat and punching out circles with a piece of copper tube of the appropriate diameter...paint these gold and there you have it!

Hope this helps

Maybe lego coins could work, I just saw some lying arounf the house from my brothers colection and I think they would be about the right scale, maybe a bit too big, but if you wanna put them in pile it won\'t be noticable.