macro lens vs. macro feature

Thread: macro lens vs. macro feature

Default macro lens vs. macro feature

hi all,

well as the title suggests, this post is about macro lenses and macro features. I \'m going to be buying a nice D40 on friday on my way to canada and as the normal d40 kits come with a 18-55mm lens, i wanted to know if there is a major need to go and buy a macro lens aswell, or was the macro feature on the camera plus the standard lens enough to take good pictures of models.

thanks in advance

chris

p.s. if anybody would be kind enough to explain the difference between macro feature and macro lens that would also be very helpful :)

i\'ve only used the d40x(the 10megapixel version)...it came with the same lens, and it works perfect for minis...with such a high resolution, i just use the manual setting to get the right iso, and zoom in full with the camera about 12 inches from the mini...
    it captures all the detail, and all the mistakes:(...

no need to shell out the cash for the macro lens...

cheers
    jah

I\'m sure the real experts will be on here shortly to give you the whole scoop, but unless you are hardore and taking pictures of the smaller miniatures you should be completely fine with that, at the longer end. You just want to make sure you are far enough back from the mini to light it without casting shadows.

Zach

All the macro setting on the D40 does is lock focus to the centre! It\'s a bit of a gimmick really - I don\'t think it gives you any exposure, ISO or DOF help. A macro lens just captures images life-size or larger and will focus closer to your subject than normal lenses. They\'re usually extremely sharp as well.

The kit lens will work for web images as you can just crop the photo down. If you want to get closer in you could always buy a (very) cheap set of extension tubes and/or an adapter to reverse the lens.

It\'s worth looking on Ebay for used lenses. Nikon do a great 60mm macro that can be had cheap second hand.

Originally posted by jahminis
    i\'ve only used the d40x(the 10megapixel version)...it came with the same lens, and it works perfect for minis...with such a high resolution, i just use the manual setting to get the right iso, and zoom in full with the camera about 12 inches from the mini...
    it captures all the detail, and all the mistakes:(...

no need to shell out the cash for the macro lens...

cheers
    jah
    What do you set your D40 settings to for photo-ing minis ?:beer:

Slap it on aperture priority and stop down to f22. That\'s all there is to it.

With a 10 mega pixel camera like yours, you can blow up the picture without any problems. Given that the maximum width on the site for submitting is 600 pixels, I would say that a macro lens is not required.

If however you do want to get really close up images, (not ideal for miniatures) you could try a second hand manual macro with adapter. I got a second hand Russian Lens with adapter for my 350D for around £30 inc. delivery. I also got adapters for changing the focal length in with the deal, so I can take some pretty awesome close up shots of teeny weeny things and expose details that you would not see with the naked eye. (definately not for minis)

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    Slap it on aperture priority and stop down to f22. That\'s all there is to it.
    You can\'t do that :D

If you are using the macro feature on the D40 you then can\'t adjust depth of field or shutter speed its done for you by the macro setting. whch is a setting you can\'t adjust.

Like any camera the programmed settings are ok up to a point but if you want to be able to use it properly then a Macro lens is the way forward.

With a macro lens you can use the camera in Arpeture priority mode and control your depth of field and therefore the shutter speed in relation to that depth of field.

Like I said USE APERTURE PRIORITY! I believe it\'s possible to use that mode with any lens. Unless Nikon have suddenly forgotten how to make cameras... :D

As Jah said, you can get reasonable web pics simply by using your kit lens and cropping. Using aperture priority.

My bad :D sorry Scott, I was tired when I replied and missed the bit about being in Aperture priority, I thought you were still refering to the macro mode :D

Default Macro lens

Like you iam just about to get myself a new digi SLR ( a canon 450d ) the kit lens on this set ups fine, it bieng an sLR you have a little more to play with then say a point and shoot, ive used a standard slr with macro filters, and you get some superb results, dont waste your hard earned cash on a macro lens filters and a good SLR is all that you will ever need ;)