1500pt Warriors of Chaos

Thread: 1500pt Warriors of Chaos

Default 1500pt Warriors of Chaos

Hi all,
    First off i would like to say i\'m knew to Warhammer Fantasy so i have no idea if this list is cheesy, under-powered or over-powered.This is the first list i\'ve written up and the idea is an army of undivided being led by a Khorne champion and his unit of Chosen.
    I\'ve never played before, being used to only 40k, but i\'ve heard the magic phase is quite an important one? so im mostly worried about having no sorcerers but i was trying to stick to the theme (Khorne disliking magic)
    So far i\'ve only bought the chaos knights and Khorne Champion so im able to change the list if necessary.
    Anyway on to the list:

HEROES

Exalted Hero = 110pts
    Axe of Khorne
    Shield
    Mark of Khorne
    Total = 175pts

CORE

12 Chaos Warriors regiment = 180pts
    9 warriors w, shields
    Musician
    Champion w, great weapon
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 221pts

12 Chaos Warriors regiment = 180pts
    9 warriors w, shields
    Musician
    Champion w, great weapon
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 221pts

16 Marauders regiment = 64pts
    8 marauders w, HW & shield
    5 marauders w, great weapons
    Musician
    Chieftain w, HW & shield
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 98pts

16 Marauders regiment = 64pts
    8 marauders w, HW & shield
    5 marauders w, great weapons
    Musician
    Chieftain w, HW & shield
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 98pts

5 Marauder Horseman Unit = 65pts
    2 horsemen w, shields & spears
    Musician w, shield
    Chieftain w, shield
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 101pts

2 horsemen w, shields & spears
    Musician w, shield
    Chieftain w, shield
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 101pts

SPECIAL

5 Chosen regiment = 90pts
    Mark of Khorne
    2 chosen w, great weapons
    Musician
    Chosen champion w, enchanted shield
    Standard Bearer w, Banner of Rage
    Total = 224pts

5 Chaos Knights regiment = 200pts
    2 knights w, ensorcelled weapons
    Musician
    Knight Champion
    Standard bearer
    Total = 250pts

Total Points Cost = 1489
    Models In Army = 77

I have no idea about magic or dispel pools so i left that out.
    Comments much appreciated!
    :)

There are two problems that jump out from a cursory look at the list. The first is that your main infantry units are set up as multiples of four. I\'m guessing you\'ve set it up so you can use a box set per unit. Unfortunately the sprues in the warriors and marauder sets were designed for the previous edition of WFB where ranks had to consist of four or more models to gain a bonus. In the latest edition this has been changed to five models so having units in multiples of five will allow you to get a decent rank bonus.

The second and most important thing is that all models in the unit must be equipped in the same way. In your marauder units you seem to have a mix of hand weapon and shield and great weapons. All the models must be equipped with one or the other including any command models.

As for the composition I\'d probably recommend dropping some rank and file in favour of characters. Normally I wouldn\'t advise that as I\'m a firm believer in big units but the characters are one of the best bits in the new Chaos book and you need a few to make the most of their special rules. Maybe drop one of the units of warriors whilst making the other up to 15. Do the same with the marauders making them into one unit of 25 or so and see if it leaves you with enough points to get another combat character.

As for magic I wouldn\'t worry too much. Most armies at the 1500 point level only muster one spell caster and the two dispell dice you get for turning up tend to be enough to cover you for magic defence. Of course the best way to defend against magic is to run at your opponent as fast as you can and chop him up into little bits. Fortunately this is something Chaos armies are quite good at :D

Thanks for the tips Undave

I\'ll post a revised list when i get the chance but what characters do you recommend? Because my list is under 2000pts i have a limited selection but i was thinking maybe another exalted hero mounted to go with my knights?

Cheers for the help!

Originally posted by Angel Of Death
    Thanks for the tips Undave

I\'ll post a revised list when i get the chance but what characters do you recommend? Because my list is under 2000pts i have a limited selection but i was thinking maybe another exalted hero mounted to go with my knights?

Cheers for the help!
    Sounds like a plan.

Ok, so after talking to a few fantasy players from my local gaming club, they have suggested getting a sorcerer with some dispel scrolls because apparently, two dispel dice wont be enough, so now im very confused!
    But they mentioned alot of the things you suggested i change aswell so ive made a new list, with the sorcerer probably going with my knights or marauders.
    So, heres the new list. Any better? Worse?

HEROES

Exalted Hero = 110pts
    Axe of Khorne
    Shield
    Mark of Khorne
    Total = 175pts

Chaos Sorcerer = 85pts
    Level 2 Wizard
    Chaos Steed
    Dispel scroll
    Total = 161pts

CORE

15 Chaos Warriors regiment = 225pts
    12 warriors w, shields
    Musician
    Champion w, great weapon
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 269pts

25 Marauders regiment = 100pts
    22 marauders w, HW & shield
    Musician
    Chieftain w, HW & shield
    Standard Bearer
    Total = 143pts

3 horsemen w, shields & spears
    Musician w, shield
    Chieftain w, HW & shield
    Total = 91pts

4 horsemen w, shields & spears
    Musician w, shield
    Total = 80pts

SPECIAL

10 Chosen regiment = 180pts
    Mark of Khorne
    2 chosen w, great weapons
    Musician
    Chosen champion w, enchanted shield
    Standard Bearer w, Banner of Rage
    Total = 334pts

2 knights w, ensorcelled weapons
    Musician
    Knight Champion
    Standard bearer
    Total = 250pts

Total Points Cost = 1503
    Models In Army = 67

Also, i hope it doesnt matter that im 3 points over. I could always find something to get rid of if it\'s necessary.:P
    Comments much appreciated!

Bump

Any more tips/comments?
    They would be really appreciated!:)

Looking better but you\'ve still got mixed weapons in a couple of units.

Personally I\'d say the guys at your club are being overly cautious where dispelling is concerned. In a 1500 point list you are limited to three characters. I suppose if all your opponent\'s characters are magic users then you might have something to worry about, but even then they\'ll only be limited to level two and therefore 2-3 casting dice each to cast their two spells with. You\'ve got two dispell dice to start with so you\'re likely to be able to block some of that and the spells they do manage to get off will be balanced out by the fact that magic users tend to be rubbish in combat and Chaos Champions will make mincemeat out of them.

If you must go for a Sorcerer forget the dispell scroll and up his combat ability a bit with a magic weapon. He\'s going to have to challenge if he gets into combat (Chaos Sorcerers have a half decent statline as far as magic users go) so any help he can get from magic weapons will improve his chances of coming out on top in a duel.

I\'ll see if I can go through your list propperly and maybe alter a few things so you can see what you think of my suggestions.

HEROES

Exalted Hero = 110pts
    Axe of Khorne
    Shield
    Mark of Khorne
    Total = 175pts
    (can\'t fault this one)

Chaos Sorcerer = 85pts
    Level 2 Wizard = 35pts
    Chaos Steed = 16pts
    Warrior familiar = 20pts
    Sword of battle = 25pts

Total = 181pts
    (Asside from being a decent spell caster this guy now has enough punch to hold his own in combat. The warrior familiar in particular will be a nasty surprise for any enemies who think he\'s going to be an easy fight hehehehehehe)

CORE

14 Chaos Warriors/shields regiment = 224pts
    Upgrade to full command = 30pts
    Total = 254pts
    (I\'ve knocked this one down to 14 men so you can put your Ex. Hero in the unit and still keep it a tidy 3 rank unit. Also tidied up the weapons options so they all have hw and shield. You can put a gw on the model if you want but in game terms he has to be armed in the same way as the rest of his unit)

25 Marauders/shields regiment = 125pts
    Full command = 20pts
    Total = 145pts
    (Again all the marauders have to have the same weapon option including the comand group)

5 Marauder Horseman/shields & spears Unit = 75pts
    Full command = 30
    Total = 105pts

10 Chaos Hounds/scaly skin = 70pts
    (I\'ve swapped these for the other horsemen as they\'re cheaper and you can use the rank bonus to kill off small units. Send them in on the opposite flank to your knights and horsemen and go after skirmishers or enemy fast cav.)

SPECIAL

10 Chosen regiment = 180pts
    Full Command = 50pts
    Mark of Khorne = 30pts
    Banner of Rage = 35pts
    Collar of Khorne = 25pts
    Total = 320pts
    (I took the shield out as he can\'t use it whilst equipped with a greatweapon. Instead the collar will give the unit extra magic defence and make the champion himself even harder)

Full command = 50pts
    Total = 250pts
    (put your mounted sorcerer in this unit to give him a bit of backup)

1500pts dead on.

I\'m liking the look of this army myself. I\'ll give it a spin and see how it gets on. I hope you find the suggestions useful.

Wow! Thanks for the help Undave!
    I think i\'ve found my army list. Thanks for taking the time to give me suggestions and fix up all my little mistakes.:D
    When i get the models i\'ll play a few games with it and let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks for the help!
    Jake

UnDave\'s army looks good. Make sure when you play with Chaos you realize that despite your fancy schmancy armor you\'re still vulnerable to shooting, especially from black powder weapons or artillery that permits no save. Make sure you\'re targetting the stuff that can hurt you with magic (Where possible) and try to get to it with your fast cav. Don\'t worry about enemy blocks of infantry as your\'s are better than his.

Cool looking list UnDave. Should be fun if nothing else!

Well I had a game with it on Sunday and it came out OK against a similar chaos army. What let it down was me not wrting the army list down to take to the club which led to me not realising that the Chosen had a mark and a banner. Also I realised that I\'d not bought the Chosen any of their mandatory weapon options.

My opponent made great use of the mark of Nurgle (the best one of the four imho) which led to me coming out worse in most of the scraps. With this in mind I\'m going to tweak the list a bit.

1. I\'m removing the magic banner from the Chosen and replacing it with the Banner of Rage (the one that causes frenzy). I\'m also equipping them with extra hand weapons giving them a hefty number of attacks.

2.The magic banner on the Chosen makes their mark of Khorne obsolete so I\'ll take that off too and add the mark of Nurgle to the Warrior regiment. The Chosen have a superior WS anyway so they can do without it but it effectively ups the Warriors to the same level as the Chosen by making their opponents WS worse.

I\'m in two minds about dropping a few of the hounds in order to give the Chosen the mark of Nurgle too in order to benefit from the -1 to hit for incoming missile fire, their save is good but black powder weapons will still screw them over a treat.

I\'ll give it another go with these changes and see what happens.

I would probably cut down on the maruders and add some Ogres or another unit oc Chaos Knights. It seems you want some speed to the army (2 maruder horsemen units). so i\'d try using those in some sort of co-op mode with two units of Chaos knights - one on each flank. And try to start rolling the enemy flanks making him flee into his own units and then cut them down.

And some fear causing Ogres (don\'t remember if chaos ogres cause fear... anyone?) in the center, backed up by chaos warriors.

Screening the center units with a unit of 16 maruders. 8 minis per rank. Just to cover an advance and protect the main units from shooting.

I\'d try that. Not sure what the result would be though.

I\'m currently working on my first Warriors of Chaos army. I\'m going to play my first game this comming week and currently the army looks like this:

---
    Army General:

Exalted hero (220 pts)
    Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut,
    Axe of Khorne

Core Units:

12 Chaos warriors (252 pts)
    Mark of Khorne, Command
    Additional hand weapons

12 Chaos Warriors (277 pts)
    Mark of Nurgle, command
    Festering Shroud

16 Chaos maruders (116 pts)
    Command
    Hand weapons, Light Armour, Shield.

5 Maruder Horsemen (105 pts)
    Command, Shield
    Hand weapons, Throwing Spears

Special Units:

5 Chaos Knights (280 pts)
    Command
    Mark of Khorne

5 Chaos Knights (250 pts)
    Mark of Nurgle
    Champion.
    ---
    That\'s 1500 pts, with no magic ability at all, and with a magic resistance that is very poor.

I\'m considering building it to a 2000 pts army instead and adding the following:

Chaos Sorcerer (190 pts)
    Mark of Tzeentch, lvl 2 sorcerer.
    Book of secrets, Power familar
    Conjoined humunculus

6 Chaos Ogres (230 pts)
    Mark of Tzeentch

And adding a full command to the Nurgle Knights, and giving either them or the Khorne knights a 45 pts banner for a total cost of 75 pts.

This would build a 1995 pts army.

Any thoughts on this?