How do you like your Sci-Fi?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you like your Sci-Fi?

Default How do you like your Sci-Fi?

Same as the other post, just now talking about Sci Fi....

I like quite a few \'settings\' but my favorite are dark, industrial, and capitalistic....Like the basis of the characters and crew in Alien.

If there are aliens, I don\'t mind a few, but not so much like it is the Cantina scene from Star Wars.

I like the ideal of monolithic artificial intelligences, bizarre geneticism, and believable \'hi tech\'. Robots and androids are cool.

No MAGIC!

Iain M Banks over here! The Culture is brilliantly realised. He\'s got a vast brain that man.

I have far more lenient restrictions on my Sci-Fi stuff. Anything that is fun, smart or even the great combo of both those is great. I like Gordon R. Dickson, Laumer, MOST Asimov, Some Heinlein and anyone who can write abotu a lightsaber and not make me want to scoop out my brain like Timothy Zahn is okay in my books.

I don\'t know why I hold fantasy under such a microscope vs. Sci-Fi, but I sure do.

Ian Watson, but Iain Banks also, have to read more of his after meeting him at Newcon4.

donga666

Originally posted by Amazon warrior
    Bring on Iain M Banks and William Gibson.
    Yay!Alfred Bester is rather good too (if you like Iain M Banks).

Iain Banks is the same auther, just the fiction writings not sci-fi. Read \'Wasp factory\' VERY twisted! Complicity is good too.

I like trashy films like Starship troopers and 50\'s, 60\'s B movies.

I like the original three Star Wars films...

Blade Runner is superb, \'Do androids dream of electric sheep\' by Philip K Dick is poo!

Have to disagree - I\'ve never enjoyed Blade runner, but I really liked sheep!
    I like my sci-fi more in an alternate future sense.
    john Brunner\'s Stand on Zanzibar is awesome. But I like Azimov and PKD. Haven\'t tried Iain Banks yet, but have only heard good things...

Anything set in space that I\'ve read has sucked ass big time.
    I also have a special place in my heart for Mindsail by Anne Gay, although this is combi fantasy/sci-fi.

The bestest Alfred Bester

B5 FTW!

There\'s some cool sci-fi to be had in.... comic books.... hope that isn\'t too nerdy even for a mini painting site.

Warren Ellis has made a few good ones, The Ocean and Ministry of space were pretty good

Stracynski (Yeah, the B5 guy!) has done some great stuff. He wrote a series called \"Supreme Power\" which is a sort of alternate smarter Superman story. I highly reccomend it. His comic book opus is another super hero/Sci Fi work called \"Rising Stars\" which is fantastic, and should be read by all regardless of the format.

I urge anyone who hasn\'t picked up a comic book in a long time to give some of these a shot. Some of my fav\'s from the past are Matt Wagners \"Grendel: War Child\" and I really dig on some of the newer super hero stuff.... but this isn\'t the time or place.... must resist pimping Marvel comics... must stop....

Whoo, close one. If I could give anyone interested a gift from a comic store it would be the three volume TPB set of Rising Stars.

Originally posted by ScottRadom
    I don\'t know why I hold fantasy under such a microscope vs. Sci-Fi, but I sure do.
    Funny, I\'m the exact opposite. I\'m pretty forgiving with fantasy (although there is certainly a lot of crap out there to sift through) but I\'m pretty harsh when in comes to Sci-Fi.

I think my general inclination is to lean toward interesting takes/twists on human evolution. Either individual or as a society. Off the top of my head my favorites would probably be This Immortal, The Stars My Destination, and Enders Game... roughly in that order.

Oh! And in response to the \'set in space\' and 40k comments, David Webber\'s stuff is pretty impressive space opera. It can get a little heavy on the romance every other book or so but the space combat is simply epic. Think nautical in feel, Death Star in scale.

Alien
    spaceballs
    bladerunner
    Solaris

Mix \'em up and bring it on

Originally posted by reverend
    Iain M Banks over here! The Culture is brilliantly realised. He\'s got a vast brain that man.
    I\'ve only read one of the Culture books, \"Use of Weapons\" (it\'s the one with the chair BTW). It was interesting and a fun read, but not quite what I expected. Any others of his you\'d recommend?

A sci-fi writer I\'ve enjoyed recently is Peter Watts. He obviously reads a lot of science news and researches his books extensively. So his science is quite solid, even when he\'s really out on a limb.

\"Starfish\" is a great book (sort of undersea cyberpunk featuring really twisted characters) but its followups \"Maelstrom\" and \"Behemoth\" delved into territory that was a fair bit too dark for my liking. Fortunately he redeemed himself to me with \"Blindsight\", which features aliens, scientifically-explained vampires, and some neat looks into the nature of intelligence and consciousness (and why they are not the same thing).

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    I\'ve only read one of the Culture books, \"Use of Weapons\" (it\'s the one with the chair BTW). It was interesting and a fun read, but not quite what I expected. Any others of his you\'d recommend?
    Try \"Player of Games\" or \"Look to Windward\", they\'re two of my favourites, and the first is very aptly named for round here!

Originally posted by donga666

Iain Banks is the same auther, just the fiction writings not sci-fi. Read \'Wasp factory\' VERY twisted! Complicity is good too.
    Walking On Glass is one of my favourite books ever. The Crow Road is also very good. Whit is odd...but good.

need to read more ian m banks only read the player of games. prefer his fiction tbh. wasp factory is superb

as for sci fi, i like it gritty, bleak and realistic-ish

mad max, blade runner, serenity etc

donga666

Originally posted by donga666

Walking On Glass is one of my favourite books ever. The Crow Road is also very good. Whit is odd...but good.
    Not a fan of Whit, Crow road is a cracking read, I think Walking on Glass was a definate \'grower.\'

\'Player of games\' was my fist one, good stuff. \'Use of weapons\' is one of the best. \'Phearsom Enjin\' (sp? Can\'t check the spine it has gone to Oxfam) made litte sense after two readings!

Richard Matherson \'I am Legend\' is a good read, I can\'t comment on the film. I can comment on the \'Omega Man\' lol

I\'m really not a fan of Sci-fi stuff, just never really got into it that much. There are times i liek it but for the most part not my cup of tea. For roleplaying i love White Wolf\'s Trinity line and i am addicted to Shadowrun. Novels, never read much but some Star Wars books and every Shadowrun book i could find. So i guess, i\'m more of a cyberpunk fan with an interest in Steampunk. Anyone know some good steampunk novels i could look into?