Yes Virginia there really are steam powered dragons....and one can be yours!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes Virginia there really are steam powered dragons....and one can be yours!!

Default Yes Virginia there really are steam powered dragons....and one can be yours!!

Sigh.................1 1/2 years of work comes to fruition.... This is what I\'ve been hinting around about for quite a while. What started as a cool idea I thought would be done quickly, quickly became Mt. Everest. The year and a half was definately not without some very long breaks - months at one time. I liked the idea enough and had put so much work into it that last summer I simply put my nose to the grindstone and got into \'get-er\'done mode. Getting 44 pieces made, cast-able, getting all those pieces to fit properly and retaining a good look presented some VERY SHEER cliffs to overcome. I found myself last fall, literally going into the mindset of \"this is NEVER gonna end\". I hate to say it but by the end I was sick of the thing. Now that the actual work aspect is behind me I\'m more partial to it. I am happy with how it came out. The casting went well, and the fit works well too.
    I will say that this kit is a bit of a trick to make though. I could have made it simpler but that would have ment sacrificing some of the coolness. While not a big deal, what makes it tricky is that I made it so that it can be assembled in different poses - within limits.
    The head/neck, shoulders, wings, hips are all on ball joints so you can position them as you wish. The knees, ankles, elbows, wrist\'s, claws, jaw, hydraulic rams on the wings are all positionable too. The hydraulic rams undre the wings are such that they too can be moved to accomodate some positioning of the wings as well as all the little hoses on this modes.
    Life lesson - a long and often frustrating journey does end and can be VERY rewarding.....if ya don\'t give up.
    Now, WHERE\'S THE TYLENOL!!

Alternate smokestacks.

[img][/img]

Oooops, I\'ve been shooting pix, photoshoping and posting for almost 6 hours and am about to go fruit!!

Forgot the Armocast link - http://armorcast.com/store/product_i...bbd762c0463831

Also forgot to mention, he measures about 9 inches long 5 inches tall and 7 inch wingspan.

Fanfriggintastic!

Peace and love...

It reminds me of something from a Terry Gilliam movie. That\'s a compliment!

Well done!

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

As with most of your stuff I have one thing to say.....

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!!!!!

haha love it! I think your hard work paid off well! :)

You know, of course, that Suki is going to stick those wings onto some crazy goblin death glider...

Brilliant, Shawn!

Great Job Shawn, simply breathtaking.

I think at some point i will have to purchase one just to experience painting it.

Can foresee a variety of extremely super paintjobs.

The possibilities for weathering and working metallics is endless. The more i think about it those possibilites more i want one.

simply WOW:o

poor Mike!

poor poor Mike.

I think you should give him one as a gift... there\'s no way he\'ll get away without buying one and that\'s just not sporting. :D

Way Way cool!

you\'ve absolutely put the expectations in commercial fantasy sculpting for the roof.. this is just incredible.

Blog Entries

Whoa! I love it...:)

took your time shawn!

not bad!

Yoicks! :o:cool: I\'m going to have to second what liz said:

WANT WANT WANT!

Edit: Can you tell us how big is it? I have a another steampunk-ish dragon and am wondering about diorama possibilities already!
    Edit 2: Reading before I ask knee-jerk questions? I should do that. :rolleyes:

He measures about 9 inches long 5 inches tall and 7 inch wingspan.

Very freaking cool work there, Shawn. An absolutely amazing sculpt.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

:o :o :o
    followed by
    :wow: :wow: :wow:
    then
    :drool: :drool: :drool:
    Cheers and well done.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    He measures about 9 inches long 5 inches tall and 7 inch wingspan.
    :redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redf ace:
    Thank you! I\'m an idiot.

That is a COOL mini. Nice work.

chaos dwarves get a dragon! mwhahha

Originally posted by squidders
    poor Mike!

poor poor Mike.

I think you should give him one as a gift... there\'s no way he\'ll get away without buying one and that\'s just not sporting. :D
    lmao Joe you took the words right out of my mind, I think Mike will kill for this, he goes weak at the knees when he sees a normal dragon lol