Words I thought I\'d NEVER say - I liked an Anime!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Words I thought I\'d NEVER say - I liked an Anime!

Default Words I thought I\'d NEVER say - I liked an Anime!

Saw Steamboy for the first time last night. What a great flick. Could have been about a half hour shorter but that aside, it was a good story, good characters and GORGEOUS artwork.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0eAk6oNBSMU

Steamboy is a great movie!

If you liked that, have a watch of some Studio Ghibli stuff.
    Howl\'s Moving Castle, Pom Poko and Spirited Away are all worth a look.

I also like Lupin III. Try The Castle of Cagliostro

Hadn\'t heard of it, but it looks nice. I\'ll definetly kep an eye out for it. Thanks !!

Steamboy is, indeed, a really good one. Of those mentioned above, though, I have to say that my favourite is Spirited Away.

dont forget to see the series hellgirl as well.. the best thing since hellsing in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Older stuff I know, but -

Hellsing, Cowboy BeBop, Trigun, The Big O all rock.

And I hate to admit it, but Inuyasha is damn good too.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Saw Steamboy for the first time last night. What a great flick. Could have been about a half hour shorter but that aside, it was a good story, good characters and GORGEOUS artwork.
    I\'d have really thought that you\'d have seen that by now, as it seems right up your alley. Anyway, I\'d second the suggestion of Spirited Away and Howl\'s Moving Castle. On the border of suggestion would be Castle in the Sky (Laputa), but probably a stretch.

If ya liked Steamboy, you should go check out Akira (if you haven\'t already). By the same guy who did Steamboy and would probably be voted best/most influential anime of all time.

Shawn I\'m really surprised that you\'ve not like Anime until now.
    Personally I like most animations but I prefer the Japanese \"closer to reality/gritty\" feel of Anime, than the overladed sacharine sweet Disney \'pap\'.

Having said that comparing Akira and Steamboy together is not a good match there is a markedly differing feel to both of them.
    Akira has the dark, moody Dystopian feel of \"Blade Runner\" while Steamboy is closer in feel to the movie version of \"League of Extraordinary Gentlemen\". (The English vocal cast of \"Steamboy\" is impressive, but I seriously didn\'t recognise Anna Paquin as the the title hero.)

Shawn if you want to try a couple of others look to some classics like :
    Princess Monokoke
    Nausicca; Valley of the wind.
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Ghost in the Shell 1&2

Avoid: Kai Doh Maru........Too short and leaves a broken story feeling.

Blog Entries

Ghost in the Shell movies are quite good. Gorgeous artwork, and the CG on the vehicles in the new one is pretty neat. The cityscapes in these movies are some of my favorite cyberpunk imagery.

Overall I\'m not a huge anime fan, but I can honestly say I\'ve liked a decent chunk of the movies I\'ve seen.

Hell girl is brilliant - they are worth watching.

There are lots of funnier ones that are good too. My neighbourse the Yamada\'s is just happy and funny, Yakitate (I think that is how it is spelled) is a bizarre concept on trying to create a national bread for Japan.

I would be very happy if they would give us the Animax channel in the UK

Shaz

Reckon the classics are still the best - Vampire Hunter D (the second one), Akira, even Gundam Seed and Destiny.

Ok, maybe the last two are stretching it ... :)

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Very, very good. You\'ll laugh, you\'ll cry... well actually you\'ll just cry.

If you have some time to spare, I also recommend
    1. the \"Death Note\" series (The live action movie version is excellent as well)
    2. \"Monster\" by Naoki Urasawa
    3. and \"Fullmetal Alchemist\"

Having said that comparing Akira and Steamboy together is not a good match there is a markedly differing feel to both of them. .....
    Akira has the dark, moody Dystopian feel of \"Blade Runner\" while Steamboy is closer in feel to the movie version of \"League of Extraordinary Gentlemen\"......

Shawn if you want to try a couple of others... ....Ghost in the Shell 1&2
    Nothing dark, moody or Dystopian about these...lol

I do agree that the stories styles are markedly defferent, the way he tells the story is the same, which is what got me.

Mentioning Ghost in the Shell movies remindes me of the new Appleseed 1 & 2 which are in the same leagues as Akira and GITS.

Shawn I\'m really surprised that you\'ve not like Anime until now.
    What I didn\'t like about much of the Anime that I\'ve seen is the whole googlie eyed spiked hair thing. The overblown acting and especially the fast talking run-on sentences.

I know these are generalizations but now that I\'ve seen something that while being in the Anime catagory, didn\'t fit the stereotype I have of it, I may look at more.

As far as Disny goes, the story\'s are dripping with syrup but nonetheless well told with good distinct characters that I can empathise with. But for me, the biggest part is the artwork, especially the backgrounds.........HOLEY SMOKES that was some serious stuff!!

................just my opinion.....

The works of Otomo or Ghibli shouldn\'t be confused with the rest of standard anime production... They are developed for a different target audience, and often they get a wider and better recognition outside the anime fandom.

Have to say Cowboy Bebop is fantastic, and I highly suggest it, both the series and the movie. I love the episode with the beta tape...

Having just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist from start to finish for the second time I\'d also say that it\'s definitely worth a watch too. Movie is pretty good too.

I also really liked Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Pretty cool show for anyone who ever wanted to be in a band when they were younger, or still do I suppose.

Originally posted by emopainterguy
    Have to say Cowboy Bebop is fantastic, and I highly suggest it, both the series and the movie.
    The movie was atmospheric*, well-paced and had a fantastic soundtrack.

* I especially loved the scenes in the middle eastern bazaar for some reason.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    But for me, the biggest part is the artwork, especially the backgrounds.........HOLEY SMOKES that was some serious stuff!!
    Having a 3yo daughter, she\'s a big Disney princess fan. So, I actually sat down and watched Sleeping Beauty with her, then nearly the same day, we watched Beauty and the Beast. I never had a problem with any Disney film, but then after watching the first and being awestruck at the quality especially the backgrounds, I was dumbfounded at just how poor and cheap-looking the later film actually was.

Color me surprised.