handle?

Thread: handle?

Default handle?

i\'m not sure if this is where this goes, but anyways...

i need tips and advice on make handles to hold miniatures while i paint. i\'ve seen people paint, and they have their miniatures position on cork that they\'re holding or pin vices.

can somebody explain or possible link some tips on how to do this?

i do have a pin vice if any of the techniques require one.

Get a small block of wood thats about 6 inches long and comfortable to hold and some wall/sticky tack (the stuff to hang posters and such with no tacks). Put the sticky tack on the TOP and stick your minis base on it. VOILA! 5 dollar miniature holder.

I use an empty paint bottle (heck anything small enough to hold with a flat top works nicely) with a scotch mounting square on the top to hold the model. Grips pretty good but isn\'t a pain to get the model off of after spraying it. I only use corks (with the same stuff) when I need to get to really extremely hard to reach places on the underside of the mini.

How you hold your mini for painting really comes down to what you are comfortable gripping with your hands while you work on it. Most painting techniques can pretty much be applied to minis no matter what you are using to hold it with.

Maya~

drill a hole up the leg of mini

insert and glue paper clip

if it\'s a big clip, you can leave it there as it\'s enough to hold onto

if not, clip it off and insert into pin vice

hold pin vice and paint

ah, alright. thanks a lot. those are great ideas.

the sticky tack stuff doesn\'t leave a residue?

I like the \"paper clip in the leg\" idea...but I use a brass rod because once you get done painting, you can cut it short and use it to pin the mini to the base.

i do as freak said, but i ram the pin into acork, take it out, add glue to the hole, place it back in and you have a mini attached to a cork that wont fall off uless you abuse it

2 pence coin + cork + ramming in some pinning wire = about 8 pence for a sturdy little base to paint from.

After drilling the hole in the model I glue it to the top of the pin, when I\'m done I clip it off leaving about 1cm pin left (28mm model) then slot it into the hole I made on the base.

Its all about taste. I prefer to have my miniature on the table (since I can hardly hold my right hand still) and I paint with my left hand.

Originally posted by dbiggied
    I like the \"paper clip in the leg\" idea...but I use a brass rod because once you get done painting, you can cut it short and use it to pin the mini to the base.
    how do you pin a mini to a base?

Originally posted by NIL
    Drill hole in base, Add glue to pin and base of mini and bring together, Viola.

...but I use a brass rod because once you get done painting, you can cut it short and use it to pin the mini to the base.
    You can do the exact same thing with a paper clip too :)

yeah like i said!

Mini holding always been a problem for me, didn\'t find the perfect solution yet.
    Here\'s my latest attempt:

There\'s a couple articles about that in the article section of the site, maybe you\'ll find the right one for you.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Originally posted by NIL
    Drill hole in base, Add glue to pin and base of mini and bring together, Viola.
    do you drill the whole all the way through the base?

Originally posted by GreenOne
    Mini holding always been a problem for me, didn\'t find the perfect solution yet.
    Here\'s my latest attempt:

There\'s a couple articles about that in the article section of the site, maybe you\'ll find the right one for you.
    that looks intense. haha. pretty awesome idea. i\'ll check out the articles right now. i guess i should have done that first...

Originally posted by falela
    ...but I use a brass rod because once you get done painting, you can cut it short and use it to pin the mini to the base.
    You can do the exact same thing with a paper clip too :)
    Yeah...but a brass rod is so much prettier and shinier!...mmmm...shiny!:drunk:

Originally posted by NIL
    Originally posted by Dragonsreach.
    Drill hole in base, Add glue to pin and base of mini and bring together, Viola.[/quote]
    do you drill the whole all the way through the base?
    [/quote]
    Most of the time Yes.
    Especially for larger and heavier figures where the longer length pin acts as a stress reducer on the join.

i use a piece of brass rod in the foot of the model and stick it into a cheap bottle cork got from morrisons