IS ower art REELLY ART ???
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IS ower art REELLY ART ???

redgreen12

Default IS ower art REELLY ART ???

OK is the hobby we do art or just paint by nubers i spend lot time on my mins armys and i think thare art if a man can paint suop cans or spater paint or twist steell to pretsel and stand out side and call it art why is my landrader not well up to you WKJR

Article about this topic:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/548

redgreen12

Default and so

well thats intaresting andwell see more up dats later

Your posts are abstract. Does that make them art? :D

Seriously though, it\'s a little too much like painting by numbers for me to consider it Art. I\'d call it a craft. Nowt wrong with craft, but many people seem to become incensed if their painting of toy soldiers isn\'t deemed to be Art.

there is definitely an art vs. artisan argument to be made ... carpenters, blacksmiths, jewelers ... do/can they create a piece of art? I think they can ... however I think most of the practitioners do not create art. I\'d say the same thing about miniature painters ... they can create art, but most do not.

jim

Originally posted by sivousplay
    there is definitely an art vs. artisan argument to be made ... carpenters, blacksmiths, jewelers ... do/can they create a piece of art? I think they can ... however I think most of the practitioners do not create art. I\'d say the same thing about miniature painters ... they can create art, but most do not.

jim
    This is a fair appraisal. I think the actual sculpting part is the breaker. For me to even consider a piece as Art, it\'d have to be 100% sculpted/scratchbuilt. It might be painted or not. Based or not. The sculpting would be the most creative part of the process.

But then surely a copy of said sculpt would in itself be art, no? Like a print of an original. Maybe. I don\'t know.

All I know is that I paint to make something look pretty, not because I want to be an artist. God, if I had to justify myself as an artist for painting pewter toys I\'d be laughed at I\'m sure. I think it\'s a craft. I\'m an artisan. When. I. Can. Be. Arsed.

redgreen12

Default hi all

well i think this good start why dont you think that you are not wilth no formel traing we all paint mins juat becaws a conpany masprodses them dos not meen that we are not artes we put them together we covert we desied all abut the whot coler thare be and whot decrashions like banners and other thig that mack the unform the theme or skeme and very pesel you might put your self in it to well more need to be seed on the subjet WKJR

Warning: this might sound boring to someone, but since my background is in History of Art I think it might be interesting to others.
    The present issue (what is art and what is not) has been explored theoretically since the beginning of the 20th century, especially in the works: Das Kunstwerk im Zeitalter seiner technischen Reproduzierbarkeit (The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction) by Walter Benjamin (1935), and Umberto Eco\'s Apocalittici e Integrati (1964, partly translated into english in 1994 as Apocalypse Posponed).
    To cut a very long story short, the conclusion of the theoretical speculation on the subject can be summed up as follows: something is a work of art when it opens us a new way of looking at reality that was not possible before. In other words, the work of art has to strike us as a revelation of something that was in front of our eyes, but which we could not see before the artist\'s work could shed its light upon it for us to see it.
    Thinking along these lines, I would incline to judge this a craft, and a very refined one at that (and I have the utmost respect for crafts), since I tend to keep the use of the term art extremely restricted (not everyday you see something that changes your views on the world), but I am ready to concede that there might be some case in which a work of art might be created through this craft as well. I have not seen yet something I would use this term for, although there are people around in this craft doing unbelievable and stunning works, but I can conceive that someone might achieve that at some point.

Originally posted by redgreen12
    well i think this good start why dont you think that you are not wilth no formel traing we all paint mins juat becaws a conpany masprodses them dos not meen that we are not artes we put them together we covert we desied all abut the whot coler thare be and whot decrashions like banners and other thig that mack the unform the theme or skeme and very pesel you might put your self in it to well more need to be seed on the subjet WKJR
    If I could understand anything you wrote I might agree :D

He needs his own personal translator or something..

Alex

I don\'t think I could be pretentious enough to call my work art.
    I will, however, acknowledge that there are numerous miniature painters that show far more talent than the vast majority of \"Modern Artists\".
    Given what is called \"Art\" these days why would you want to be called an artist?

Having said that, I\'ve never met a self proclaimed \"artist\" that I\'ve liked.

Originally posted by reverend
    If I could understand anything you wrote I might agree :D [/quote]
    Lets see if I can help. If I can translate Geordie(*) then I\'m on a winner.

\"Well I think this good start. Why dont you think that you are not,(an Artist) With no formal training we all paint minis.
    Just because a conpany mass-produces them, does not mean that we are not artists (artistic), we put them together, we convert, we decide the colour scheme and decorations, like banners and other thing that make the unform theme or scheme and there is a lot of each person in thework. Well more needs to be said on the subjet. WKJnr.

(*For our American and European friends; A geordie is someone who was born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and therefore has a distinct Understatment Accent.

Cheers DR, it\'s all this street jive...I can\'t get to grips with it.

An interior designer lays out colours, designs and furniture in much the same way as we might lay out a diorama. They\'re not artists. Why should painters like us be considered artists?

why should we not!
    the minis we paint are our \'canvas\' all be it a 3D one

Aye, but I could sh*t on a canvas. That\'s not art.

Originally posted by reverend
    Aye, but I could sh*t on a canvas. That\'s not art.
    You wouldn\'t be the first.

Can I reverse you question \"Why should painters like us be considered artists?\" and ask why shouldn\'t we?

I just can\'t see it being art. Subjective I know, but that\'s the way I see it. I bet there\'s not a single manufacturer that counts its output as \'art\'. we are talking about mass-produced toys for wargaming and RPGs, so to suggest that something like that can become art just because it\'s well-painted is a very big leap. Aye, some painting boggles the mind. It doesn\'t move a person in a life-changing way though. Art seems to do that, whatever the disputes.

If one describes art as moving and changing lives, well... Is it?

Miniature painting is a very cool thing, i consider it a clash between art and craft. The funny thing is that minature painting has had its eras with different genres. In the beginning with GW most painters painted very bright and now people want a realistic touch to their minis.

We also want a mood on the miniature, we want to express something (often this is something dark but hey... ). I may just be a loon, but I like to think that its somewhat art, to those who want it to be. People think to much when they talk about art, art is just creation basically. And we incorporate some elements that \"real\" art has to offer. I like to think we make art, I like art (not all art obviously) i like when it show you an emotion, i feel this with some miniatures aswell... I quess it all boils down to what you feel :)

Toys! Toys! That\'s what they are!