Trying out eBay for the first time - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying out eBay for the first time

Minis are very nice, i\'ve them but i\'ve done a little bid to wish you a good luck! :beer:

Massimiliano.

Originally posted by TyronMagda

Minis are very nice, i\'ve them but i\'ve done a little bid to wish you a good luck! :beer:

Massimiliano.
    Thanks for that. They each have a few \"Watchers\" and one bid on each. I imagine that\'s positive for this early in the auction. Much appreciated Tyron Magda!

Just spamming this auction again. I would feel bad about spamming this board.... if CMON would QUIT eating my auction credits and send the rest of my CMONshop order! Answer an eMail or a PM pretty please!!!

Anyway, by it quick! Don\'t leave TyronMagda holding the bag! He\'s a nice dude, he shouldn\'t have to pick up the plaguebearers on his mercy bid, YOU should pick them up! Get a bargain, save the world!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&i tem=270344780090

Thanks for all the feedback and help guys. TyronMagda, I got one of the fatal personality chicks and have to get more from you.

Gilvan! Found a sweet way to get multiple transactions to boost my history! Buying single bottles of paint from a seller and getting them bundled. 25 bottles of paint, 25 transactions for me (I think, looks that way so far...) Thanks again all.

DIablofollower

I\'ll join you on this one Scott in protest to get my order from CMON as well. Ordered over a month and a half ago.

Needless to say this will be the last time I order anything from the CMON shop.

Yeah man, I am truly dissapointed. Great boards, love the concept of the site but it does NOT take two weeks to answer an eMail.

I know it took les time then that to get my money! \'Tis a shame, I understand when mistakes happen and I would LOVE to make this my spending home, but....

DIablofollower

Yea, it\'s definitely a great site, concept and the people are amazing. But you don\'t run a business this way. Definitely shouldn\'t take that long to answer an email. Mistakes do happen but they should be corrected ASAP to keep the customer happy.

Originally posted by ScottRadom

Gilvan! Found a sweet way to get multiple transactions to boost my history! Buying single bottles of paint from a seller and getting them bundled. 25 bottles of paint, 25 transactions for me (I think, looks that way so far...) Thanks again all.
    Unfortunately the number for your feedback rating is based on unique users. While a good idea, it won\'t up the rating buyers can see.

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    Originally posted by ScottRadom

Unfortunately the number for your feedback rating is based on unique users. While a good idea, it won\'t up the rating buyers can see.
    Oh.... I see.

Anyone want to do a trade for 5 bottles of VMC Burnt Umber? Kidding. At least I got some cheap paint out of the deal.

Hey, a small update and request for help....

My first two eBay posting seemed to have done okay. Both sold, which was what I was hoping for. The chaos dude was asking 10 and went for near 18, and the plaguebearers (5) went from 5 bucks to near 16 ish. Obviously not getting rich but I knew that. So thanks for the tips and help guys!

One last request.... I put up a new listing, and I used the CMON featured auction thingy (which appears to be working now!) and posted a unit of 10 plaguebearers. The unit has full command and would sell in boxes new for 60$ CDN and I am starting the price at 20$USD.

Any thoughts on that? Should I bother with a min price? I would rather give them away then have them sell for less then 20 bucks, so that was what I was thinking there.

here\'s the link to the sale....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270348747549

If anyone want\'s to take a look at the listing and give me any comments or crit\'s on making a better add I\'d love to here them. Thanks a lot guys! Since I have now sold a mini for more then I paid for it (about 1.20$ more! BOOYAH!) do I get to call my self a pro-painter?

DIablofollower

Checked out the auction, looking good Scott. Few things I\'d like to suggest, although it\'s just my personal preference of how I like to list my items, not necessarily something that will make or break the sale.

- Try and include the shipping information within the actual item description meaning how much national and international shipping will cost the buyer. As well as where you are willing to ship. I also include one or two sentences in there of how the item will be packed for the buyers ease of mind. Last but not least I also make sure to add that fact that although I do my best to package the miniatures I am not responsible for them breaking during transit (yes, to cover my ass) but, that if they do break that I am more than willing to fix them at the buyer\'s expense to ship them back.

- I also put in a short paragraph with payment instructions. Meaning what kind of payment I accept, personally it\'s Pay Pal and US money orders. I also add in there for the buyer to pay or contact me within three days after winning the auction or I re-list the item. And lastly I will put in a return policy if I am offering one on that item.

Hey Scott, just some pointers I\'ve picked up over the years from Haley, Foerster, and the like, mixed in with my auction experiences:

The pictures are pretty dark overall. Better, brighter photos would show the buyer exactly what they\'re getting. I could be wrong, but it looks like you have either one diffuse overhead or two non-diffuse lamps above and to the right and left? I\'d try getting another diffuse light source shining directly on the miniatures from the front (I usually hold mine directly behind the camera to the left or right depending on what nooks and crevices need light the most). You can see under the Standard Bearer in the first picture how it\'s just one huge mass o\'shadow under his arm; if it\'s painted that way, then great, but if not it needs some light :D. Same with the bottom photo, all of the models in the middle are too dark to make out how the painting is.

Also, if you\'re selling ten figures, make sure all ten are shown; as it is you have the three highlighted in the first pic, but only two additional ones in the group shot, with the other five not seen at all.

This next part sounds like I\'m being a jerk, but I\'ve heard from a lot of buyers on this point; be sure to run your auction posting through a grammar and spellcheck. While it\'s true people are looking at the pictures to sell the minis not having a well-written writeup can lessen the \"perceived value\" of the items. Basically, the buyer might make the unconscious connection that if the seller\'s sloppy about their writeup the miniatures might be the same way (and I\'ve heard from a lot of the \"big buyers\" it goes beyond the subconscious level).

I wouldn\'t post a personal email address in the auction listing; eBay has a built-in system for people to ask questions and receive responses. It will also allow you to make the question and answer public, which can help if you end up getting a lot of people asking the same question.

When it comes to units, I wouldn\'t feel bad about starting the auction at the price of the models themselves. Most sellers I know post regular, single models at $9.99, unless they\'re regularly getting large amounts of bids (I think Jen starts hers at $0.99 now); lowballing it can get more bids initially, raising the \"perceived value\", but don\'t go so low you risk losing money on the deal you can\'t afford to. There\'s also the consideration that after ten bids CMON\'s featured auction widget puts a little torch next to it, listing it as a hot item; once again, it\'s a way to raised the perceived value of the item.

I noticed in your action title you have \"10 Painted Plaguebearers of Nurgle with command group\". While it\'s not bad, you need to work in the manufacturer of your models, as it\'s one of the most-often searched phrases. Painted Warhammer, Painted Warhammer 40K, Painted Reaper, Painted Hasslefree, etc; unless someone\'s looking directly for an army, they\'ll be using generic terms like that, and the more possible search combinations you can hit without breaking the rules (Painted Reaper Warhammer D&D Hasslefree, for example) the better. Of course, if you incorporate bits from many manufacturers, then go nuts, but always work in the main manufacturer.

You already hit the mark by not putting \"Pro Painted\" or \"Master Painted\" or \"A+++++++ Painted\" anywhere in your title or listing, so kudos to you :D.

Back to the Army/unit thing; depending on what your goals are for eBaying you may want to shy away from doing unit work. If you really, truly like painting rank and file for hours and hours, then knock yourself out, but almost 95% of the time you\'ll make more money/hours sunk in via single models over units. If you do want to paint units, go for the really big, complicated ones that look great painted but that people don\'t want to sink the time in themselves, as people are more willing to bid higher on a unit of mounted figures well painted than grunts. Still, though, if your goal is more cash oriented, I\'d stick with the command groups/solo models.

Hm... That\'s all I can think of at the moment. I have an eBay guide on my site, somewhere, but I\'m too lazy to root it out at the moment, but if you want it lemme know and I\'ll try to dig it out. I hope some or all of it helps out Scott :D.

Hey guys, much appreciated.

I will use all those tips! Great advice!

I don\'t want to update my listing now that it\'s going for one reason.... I think it\'ll burn my CMON featured auction!

Thanks so much for the generous response AllTerrainMonkey! I\'d love your guide, but I am also very interested in your site. I\'ll go try and find it!

Also I\'m just putting these items up for bid as tests. I am not planning on getting rich on eBay sales for sure, this is more of a hope to get rid of stuff I am no longer interested in and possibly to break even on some stuff I am learning on as I paint.

Thanks again guys! Always impressed with the aid the online painting community gives each other!

Oh yeah, another thing, how long do you wait before you send the \"Send reminder/request for payment\" thingy. I don\'t want to be rude, and the guys who bought my stuff have a billion 100% good reviews so i am sure they\'re on the level. Whats a good time to give \'em a call? Is it like waiting to call a chick, and you don\'t want to sound too desperate, but don\'t want them to think you\'re not interested?

I usually wait two-three business days after the auction close unless it\'s a buyer I know, in which case I\'ll cut them more slack. After a week is when you start having the option to report them using the resolution sender, so most buyers are pretty prompt.

DIablofollower

Exactly what AllTerrainMonkey said. I send them an invoice right after the auction closes. Then give them about a week. If they don\'t pay up I send them another email, another two days then start thinking about reporting them.