faces

Thread: faces

Default faces

Looking to add \"warmth\" to my faces.

Normally start with a dark undercoat (black) and then build up with the following:

red brown
    customed mixed leather
    Vallejo flesh
    wash (windsor peat)
    one or two highlights on brow, nose, cheeks

While acheiving a nice \"basic\" result, I\'m looking to take it up a bit

thoughts & hints?

TIA,

Madcam

Did a quick look with my search-fu and notice a few links...

Attempted the purple wash and so far like the result.

thinking another wash or two and then....

What? High-light the forehead-nose-cheeks?

Madcam.

Forehead, brow, upper lip, chin, cheeks, nose.

Have a look Here and Here
    Granted they are a little \"old\" now but the principles of painting faces remains.

thanks for the links..

the figures I\'m using are a old GW pit fighter with mostly flesh and BC Stern.

the biggest hurdle I\'m encountering is the size of the faces. In both, one has very little pallete to work with.

Several mis-steps included thinning down my paints to the point when I attempted to hit the high-lights, the paint went everywhere...

then, when beginning again, it appeared the paints where too thick.

I mitigated these by using a \"feathering\" approach with a wash/glaze step to smooth the edges and ease the transition.

thanks for the help and I\'ll get some pictures up with the models later.

Madcam.

One thing you could do, is use the very diluted paint, but wipe excess paint off on a towel or cloth or something, before applying to the mini.. If you look up the urmuth painting article by automaton Then you can see how to use that technique fully. Also this may help with adding \"warmth\" to your mini.

added a picture of the BC Stern model...

need to high light the armor and fix the eyes, but what I\' keep having is the darkness of the face after using a purple wash to add warmth.

It leaves this real dark skin tone. when I attempt to bring up with hi-lites, I loss the warm purple tones.

thoughts?

madcam.

Originally posted by madcam2us.......need to high light the armor and fix the eyes, but what I\' keep having is the darkness of the face after using a purple wash to add warmth.

It leaves this real dark skin tone. when I attempt to bring up with hi-lites, I loss the warm purple tones.

thoughts?
    Yes, several things suggest themselves to me:
    1 Brush/Brush Control: If you are having difficulty hitting the raised points to re-work the highlights then you may be using a brush Too large or not taking enough time and therefore hitting all the area instead of the needed points.
    2 Amount on the brush: As pointed out by Obsidianpainting you might need to reduce the amount of fluid in the brush.
    3 Vision: Can you see the areas you are painting clearly? Is it a case of not being able to see the figure close enough to make out where you need to put the paint placement.
    4:Quality of brush point: if you are using a brush without a fine point then replace it.

madcam.

I\'ll re-try with a new brush..

I\'m mostly a 15mm gamer and its been a LOOOONG time since I\'ve dabbled in 25s+

Very different skills needed, IMO. the level of detailing is chief amoung them.

thanks for the assists and I\'ll try again today and repost!

Madcam.

when i think of warm coliors i think of light tan or dwarf fesh,bronze fesh.i find to if you add a little bit of green such as goblin orcamo green it helps to soften base coat.then i work up from that with lighter colors that help the bronze or darf and etc.thin them down too.but the one link obsidianpaint gave is awsome.i think that is a very high level and i want to paint like that:D.

edited by removing picture...

Latest update... Still need to tone down the upper lip to limit the drag queen look. but I\'ve taken to a better brush and attempted to do better with its control and paint supply...

thoughts?

Madcam

Looks pretty good, but some places need to be more shadowed, and some places need more highlights. (nose, brow etc. )

Not happy with the quality of photos.

I\'m going to try a few others. Using a micro setting, no tripod and zero photo-editing software, I\'m handicapping myself....

these might be a little better...

and

Originally posted by madcam2us
    Using a micro setting, no tripod and zero photo-editing software, I\'m handicapping myself....
    Use a stack of books to rest the camera on and the self-timer to take the shot if available.

The GIMP is free :)

Einion