Rookie painter seeking direction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie painter seeking direction

Default Rookie painter seeking direction

Hey Guys

I\'ve only been painting since mid January this year so as you can imagine, I\'m a rather epic level of rookie compared to the talent here. I\'m hoping for some advice or direction in which way to go as I have a set idea in my mind of the colour scheme and theme I want my army to have but I can\'t make this be as realistic and good looking as you know.. your stuff :)

Without further ado: my best piece to date.

So yeah, I\'m looking to play Sisters of Battle and was looking for a white power armour, red robes look with gold on the icons, symbols etc. Really looking for the pristine angelic look that holy warriors would have.

Unfortunately, white power armour is giving me a few issues as I can\'t really can\'t seem to do much to it to try and \'bring it to life\' without making it look.. well.. stupid. I\'ve tried a sepia wash in the recesses in the picture but I\'m 100% if it works. As the armour is meant to be like.. irridescent white almost, I can\'t really highlight it with any other colour than white. (I\'m undercoating in white of course).

My robes I think I can only do better as I get better at painting. I\'ve got Fenris Grey base, Blood Red paint, Blazing Orange highlights. Its nothing special but its getting the job done alright.

My gold is scorched brown + burnished gold (which is what my plasma pistol is in the pic) and then I go over that with Burnished gold. I\'ve had a recommendation to highlight with mithril silver, I just need to pick up the paint.

So yeah, I\'m sorry if this topic is too rookie for these boards but I really need some help in how to tackle the issues with having white armour. No one else I know plays with white armour so the tips they give me (highlights, dry brushing, shadowing) doesn\'t really work well for me :(

I appreciate the feedback, thanks guys

welcome,

First thing: just be patient, if you\'ve been painting for about a month don\'t get caught up in comparing your stuff to the world class painters here, as it can really bum you out.

Second: make sure you flip through the article section on this site, it can really give you the new idea or edge you are looking for.

As for painting white, that\'s one of the hardest colors to get right (imo) and your is looking pretty good. For highlighting white, the trick is the base color has to be something that isn\'t white. What I mean is if you are going for a pristine angelic look Id base the white on a light blue (e.g. Ice Blue or something similar) and blend it up to pure white.

Another thing, don\'t try to many difficult things right off the bat, as it can be discouraging when they don\'t come out right.

Keep it up

Totally agree with Monkeyspitters. Don\'t focus on improving every single aspect at once. It\'ll be too frustrating likely and make take away from your enjoyment.

Remember if you get ten done, and think you can do better you can always strip \'em down and start again!

Start at the articles. I noticed there are some hairs or something on your model. WHat are they from? Around the chest area.

Make sure you start thinning your paint. That\'s the universal rule you\'ll find from all the really top painters here. Even if it\'s just a little to start, get used to thinning paint and go thinner as you get better used to it. Your paint will look smoother when done in 4 coats fo thins paint vs. one thick. It takes a lttle longer but the thin paint does dry fast.

Good luck and enjoy.

Blog Entries

Default 5 Things

1) Howdy! - Welcome to our mad world.
    2) Thin your paint a little more - particularly the metallic paints look a little thick.
    3) Find somebody nearby who might be able to let you watch - You can read all the articles you want but until you see somebody doing it really well, be it somebody experienced or you making a \"mistake\" that works out, you\'ll never get past certain plateaus in your skill.
    4) Details make a difference - the right hand has misplaced paint, the slot base still has the slot showing, and thin black wash on the metallic and/or some black lining would all be things to look into.
    5) Read the article on photoshop or gimp. A background is quick and easy. Better photos allow better critique.

watch this for some simple but good advice

thin paints

PRACTICE! its important to keep plugging away as sometime your skill level may stagnate for a while before something \'clicks\' into place.

It looks like your primer is a bit too thick, as well as your normal paints, just thin it down to about 1:1 (paint : water) and that should be a good starting point. Also wipe some of the paint off of your brush before you put it on the mini, this will help incredibly, alot of the time when people tell other people to thin the paint they forget that to say that you should wipe some of the paint off.

Also for whites, a good combo is astronomicon grey, highlighted up to white.

Also neatness is a good thing. It kinda look like your a little messy BUT thats alright as you\'ve only been painting a month or so. try to steady your hand, you can do that by bracing your hand on your other hand, desk, or your arms on your legs.

The tidier it looks the better it will look. Look at Mattsterbenz\'s wip articles, the largest wip ever could be one to look at. He does all these minis in a very simple style, using multi-layering, but he does it VERY well. Its an easy technique once you get it down, making it look neat is the next step. so look into that!

Also i would recommend getting a dvd. Jeremie bonamont is a great DVD to look into. as it will teach you all the techniques you will need to know. (not all the technique but a good majority)

Thanks and keep up the good work, Remember to PRACTICE! its a key thing:P

Cheers, Gary.

And freak! how many times can you link that video!:P

-Gary.

Originally posted by obsidianpainting
    And freak! how many times can you link that video!:P

-Gary.
    every time. i think its the best starter vid i have seen that is free, also he talks about it in an interesting way, most of the commentaries i have seem on free stuff sends me to sleep!

Originally posted by Shoitaan
    So yeah, I\'m looking to play Sisters of Battle and was looking for a white power armour, red robes look with gold on the icons, symbols etc. Really looking for the pristine angelic look that holy warriors would have.

Unfortunately, white power armour is giving me a few issues as I can\'t really can\'t seem to do much to it to try and \'bring it to life\' without making it look.. well.. stupid. I\'ve tried a sepia wash in the recesses in the picture but I\'m 100% if it works. As the armour is meant to be like.. irridescent white almost, I can\'t really highlight it with any other colour than white. (I\'m undercoating in white of course).
    Well as a fellow Pistol Packing Preistess/ Battle Babes/ Nuns W\'Guns/ Blister on the Saddle player I\'m more than happy to make some suggestions.
    Firstly having looked at the picture I think that you are spraying the primer on too close and that is thickening the base making detail a bit difficult to see and render.
    I\'d suggest that you think about the methodology of acheiving the shadows, as I use a \"Non-Cannonical\" colour scheme I opted for a simple means of acheiving an Army inside a month. {Bubonic Brown Spray (now long OOP) Flesh Wash (also OOP) and then dry-brushed Bubonic brown and drybrushed Bleached Bone as highlights.}
    You can do the same principles for white.
    White undercoat, thin Space Wolves Grey to an extreme dilution wash the entire model using a large flatbrush going toes to head in a single stroke.
    Allow to dry.
    Drybrush with White.
    Paint in the details.

As a player tip I found it easier to paint the weapons on the Dominion,Retributor and Celestians squads in colours differing to the normal squads. Also the Seraphim are a swine to get to balance. I\'ve ended up glueing a 2pence piece under their bases as extra ballast. If you don\'t the end up falling all over the place like they\'ve been hitting the communion wine.

Judgeing from your post your live somewhere in the US, correct...?...

I will do a trip to LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas soon, maybe I can show you a thing or two in Person...

Originally posted by Matt Cexwish
    Judgeing from your post your live somewhere in the US, correct...?...

I will do a trip to LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas soon, maybe I can show you a thing or two in Person...
    Thanks for the generous offer but I live in Brisbane, Australia. I was posting at that ungodly time because Street Fighter 4 has my soul at the moment :(

Very much appreciate the tips and am loving the friendly atmosphere here.

@Monkeyspitters: What do you mean blend it up to white? DO you mean like
    Layer 1 Blue
    Layer 2 Blue WHite
    Layer 3 white
    Or something to that effect?

@ScottRadom: Yeah I took her over to a friends place for painting tips. They keep 2 very furry cats. That would be cat hair :(

The words \"thin your damn paints\' seem to be echoed by everyone else. I assumed I was thinning my paint :/
    I try and mix one dip of the brush in paint with one dip in water but I guess there\'s more paint coming on than water. I used to try adding 2-3 drops of water to one drop of paint so the paint wouldn\'t show my brush strokes but then the paint is far too watery and runs into recesses and generally makes a mess of the model :(
    I think I probably need to figure out the optimum water mix ratio (or rather figure out what a true 1:1 mix is).

A friend introduced me to some weird stuff she found. I can\'t remember the name but it was a \"liquifying agent\". She was using it in place of water and it seems to maket the paint nice and runny without losing its pigmentation. Anyone know the stuff I\'m talking about? If so, is it an avenue worth chasing for me?

@obsidian and Dragonsreach: Huh, I didn\'t even consider the possibility that my undercoat was on too thick. I\'ll do short burst sprays from further back to see if it makes a difference. Can\'t believe I never considered it before :)

Alrighty, unfortunatley my next 2 models are already undercoated but I\'ll try the other tips.
    I\'ve got spacewolf grey and astronomicon grey so I\'ll try thinning them to anorexic levels and building up to white from there. Hopefully I\'ll have a picture or two to post up by next weekend here. THanks for the advice so far folks. I really do appreciate it :)

You could do it even simpler. I don\'t really know if it is a good thing on the Sisters Of Battle sculpts but just heavily water down some shadow grey and paint it in the dents of the armour. Works with SM but they have a lot of sharp edges and dents.. As I said am not sure about the Sisters Of Battle..

cleen X

Resize your photos! :rolleyes:

White is one of the hardest colours to get right but you can make the job easier by painting grey instead of true white, so long as the other colours are duller/darker the grey color will have the illusion of being white.

If you look at your own photo you can see where the sunlight is hitting the miniature and which parts are in shadow; try to copy that effect by painting the lightest areas in the palest grey and paint dark lines into the recesses - look at the front foot, that\'s what you are aiming to get all over.

Don\'t overload your brush; dab it on a piece of tissue to wick away the excess. The paint should flow like an ink-pen onto paper, don\'t let it pool or it will dry like a splatter-stain.

Do you have any Games Workshop foundation paints? It\'s a bit of a cheat but I love using them for the base-coat because they give such solid coverage and they can hide a multitude of sins if you have to paint over something again.

I also like to add a thin layer of varnish half way through a paint-job because it stops paint rubbing off when I\'m handling the mini.

Originally posted by Sauce Devil
    Resize your photos! :rolleyes:

i disagree, on that link, you can see all the imperfections and therefore can give better help

as for painting white, as i understand it, spacemunkie painted this marine white and shaded/weathered that. haven\'t seen many white minis that look that good so i may be a good start (either that or pick an easier colour!)

@Monkeyspitters: What do you mean blend it up to white? DO you mean like Layer 1 Blue Layer 2 Blue WHite Layer 3 white Or something to that effect?
    Yeah thats exactly what I mean, it doesnt even necessarily need to start at pure blue, or that formulaic. My advice is to just start with blue and white (prob 50/50) and slowly work it up to pure white ignoring the number of layers and more going for the \"feel\"

Yeah and make sure ur adding water to the mix to keep it from getting all viscus and chunky.

coll vid tim, but the guy who does it insisists \"i am blessed by God\" on more than one occasion. for me this feels like the guys got either a massive ego or the total opposite n hes just happy to give info for free

When diluting paint, if you don\'t want it to fall into the recesses wipe your brush off on a cloth or something before going to the mini, this will allow you to control where the paint goes:)

One thing to remember guys and gals is that Shoitaan is looking to paint an ARMY not necessarily a display piece.
    Quick, Clean and Simple should be the order of the day.
    Painting a squad or regiment can be hard work, trying to find shortcuts and easier ways to do it should be De Rigeur for all of us.

When I shade the shoulderpads on my black templars I just dilute shadow grey, I guess any cold blues og greys would work, if it\'s not to dark! Takes just 2-3 minutes max, shading them. Quick way to do it if you want an entire army done! Very easy to :D I made it look good on my first attempt. And I\'m a rookie :D

cleen X

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    One thing to remember guys and gals is that Shoitaan is looking to paint an ARMY not necessarily a display piece.
    Quick, Clean and Simple should be the order of the day.
    Painting a squad or regiment can be hard work, trying to find shortcuts and easier ways to do it should be De Rigeur for all of us.
    Haha true, but I\'m also an incredibly superficial/shallow person, so I definatley want my army to be purty :)

My friends who play have multiple armies so usually lend me one of their armies if I rock up to a game so I\'m in no rush to finish mine. I have no problems taking my time and making things good.

I painted 12 sistes before the one I posted the picture off and thats the best. I\'m sure you can imagine what the others look like. Thankfully the benefit of ridiculously expensive metal models is that you can bath them in turpentine to take your frustrations out :)

@freakinacage: Just watched that youtube video now. Thanks for the link. I missed it first time around :)