Lizardmen colors (help me Bill!)

Thread: Lizardmen colors (help me Bill!)

Blog Entries

Default Lizardmen colors (help me Bill!)

I\'m looking at some color schemes for Lizardmen, and poison dart frogs seem like the ideal color scheme to steal, at least for skinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_dart_frog

You can see some pretty rad photos on that page, my favorite so far being the dyeing dart frog on the left. That looks like a rockin scheme for Skinks.

My question is this: How would you keep the color scheme when adding non-poisonous units into the army? The Kroxigors, Stegadons etc. shouldn\'t have quite the same coloration, not being poisonous. Insight would be sweet :D

Blog Entries

I like that scheme mate, go for it!

Generally, poisonous frogs (or poisonous anything for that matter) are much more vibrant and striking in color than their non-poisonous cousins. What really draws attention to that particular frog is a combination of the brilliant blue on the legs and the contrast between the black and light blue/green on it\'s back and head.

Perhaps for the non-poisonous units you could paint them in a solid blue which isn\'t so vibrant. Google Hyla meridionalis and you should be able to find a blue variety to give you an idea of what I\'m talking about.

Something to consider is that real colour schemes from real creatures often don\'t look very good on minis.
    Certain things just look way better on a mini. in those pics the yellow/black scheme would work well on a mini, the green one probably less so (unless you set the green off with cream or brown, or red brown or red).
    keep it simple as well, too complex and its just ends up looking messy.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

these guys are cool - blue racers. You chase them for long enough, they\'ll stand up on their back legs and chase you for a while.

Great entertainment for 5 year olds....

Blog Entries

Heh I forgot to check on this thread after posting it :) Thanks for the replies guys, I probably won\'t do this army just yet but I really like the suggestions so far. Keeping the scheme simple seems to be key advice, and I think it can be done with the blue dyeing dart scheme.

On the Kroxigors and other non-poisonous breeds I\'ll probably stick closer to the standard blue color scheme. No super-vibrant areas around the black scales, and perhaps the fleshy underbellies.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Jericho
    The Kroxigors, Stegadons etc. shouldn\'t have quite the same coloration, not being poisonous. Insight would be sweet :D
    Not necesarilly true Dan. Take a look at Batesian mimicry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batesian_mimicry
    Basically you have a poisonous/toxic/dangerous prey item that is vibrantly coloured to warn any potential predator not to bother, while a related species that shares a common predator will also adopt very similar colouration in order to avoid predation.
    However, it does get more complicated once you have a lot of species using the same colouration patterning... Predators may encounter the non poisonous a lot more and eventually no longer avoid that prey.

At any rate I think you could get away with using some of the vibrant colours on the non poisonous units, just not as much as on the poisonous ones. Or just tweak the scheme a little.
    Take a look at these two snakes:

At first glance you might mistake one for the other. You might also think that because they are so colourful they are both poisonous, but in fact only the coral snake (top) is, where as the milk snake (bottom) is not.

:)

i was thinking of starting a thread like this , for my upcoming iq tak to. do you think these could work as schemes for his terradon?
    i hope im not thread hijacking (well yes i am, but i hope you dont mind), but does anybpody have any good lizard pics suitable for a terradon. ive looked everywhere and cant find any

check out panther chameleons google chameleons

or fire skinks

Originally posted by JojoTheFlamingMonkey
    Generally, poisonous frogs (or poisonous anything for that matter) are much more vibrant and striking in color than their non-poisonous cousins. What really draws attention to that particular frog is a combination of the brilliant blue on the legs and the contrast between the black and light blue/green on it\'s back and head.

Perhaps for the non-poisonous units you could paint them in a solid blue which isn\'t so vibrant. Google Hyla meridionalis and you should be able to find a blue variety to give you an idea of what I\'m talking about.

This One!!

Dammit, I\'m actually upset I missed this :P

Something brown/sludgy with the blue would work well I reckon, maybe in a marbled or \"painted\" pattern something like this?