CMON Annual 2008 is a go!!!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMON Annual 2008 is a go!!!!

Default CMON Annual 2008 is a go!!!!

We are in the process of compiling CMON Annual 2008, which is no different than a year book for all the top painters, pretty much a Who's who in the painting community of 2008. Everyone that has an average score of at least 8.0 from a submission dated 01/01/2008 to 12/31/2008 will be receiving the invitation to be featured in the annual.
    Here is a quick F.A.Q. as I am already getting tons of email.

1)You many retake a new photo of the miniature that is on your invitation list, it does not have to be the same exact picture, just have to be the exact miniature.

2)Your picture has to be be 300DPI, you may submit up to 2 angles of each entry in the email but the email cannot be larger than 10 meg in file size. ie. if you want to submit front and back views of your entry in 2 different photos, they can only be 5 meg each in file size. Do not put the front and back pic into one pic, send 2 separate pics if you want to submit front and back shots.

3)Some of you might have multiple entries that are invited to participate in the annual; you MUST submit each entry separately. You do not have to submit all the entries that is on the list if you do not wish to. But the more you submit the better chance you will make it in the annual.

4)Each entry must be accompanied with the painter's name, his CMON "nic", the name of the entry, and the manufacturer IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE EMAIL. for example, John Smith "JohnyPaints", SpaceMarine Chaplin, Games Workshop. In that exact order please.

5)Send all entries with the above instructions to cmonannual@yahoo.com on or before April 10th 2009.

6)If you have questions or need an extension on the submission deadline, you need to contact borg@coolminiornot.com directly. DO NOT send your pictures to borg ļ It will do you no good.

So what are you waiting for? Get your cameras out and starting snapping!

Great news, it has been too long since the last Cmon book.

Awesome. Glad to see another books coming. My coffee table was starting to look dated.

Any idea on price for this edition?

Yes, sadly true. We had technical problems, manpower issues etc etc. But I have everything lined up this time and I am 100% sure that we will be able to get this complete this time. Just a matter of getting better pics from the members with high scores, get the book laid out and off to the printers we go...

Great News... but this is not a lot of time... til April 10th 2009 :(

Your list is longer than the email in my case :o - i know my own fault :D

Keep on happy photoshooting right now...:flip:

Regards
    jar

No estimated price tag yet, I have to see how many people still have pics of their work and then I need to do a page count. But I will keep you posted.

Blog Entries

Whenever we submit for these things there\'s a 300DPI requirement, which is fine! Nothing Photoshop can\'t handle of course. But what photo dimensions are you looking for this time around? I need to take some new photos (you can see dust and a dog hair on my Demon winners when you look at them full size!) so whatever size you want I can accommodate easily.

Put it this way, top scores will be 1-2 pic a page on a 8.5 by 10, then it goes down to 2-4 a page, even 6-8 a page.

I got an invitation for a model submitted in March this year. Is that intentional? Do you still want that figure?

a couple of submissions from 2009 slipped through from the script, only 2008 please.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info I should have the photos sent off within a week.

Originally posted by jarhead
    Your list is longer than the email in my case :o - i know my own fault :D
    Show-off! :P

I have, wait for it, ONE! Woooo! :drunk: Actually, I am well chuffed by this, and it\'s actually a real incentive to see if I can\'t do even better this year (not bloody likely, at the rate I paint! lol).

By the by, are you going to print every submission you receive? It\'s hard to tell from the guidelines but I\'m guessing not from this phrase \"But the more you submit the better chance you will make it in the annual.\".

Holy shizzle! I got 2:O This is new to me and I was surprised when i got the e-mails..
    I will most certainly buy it when its going to be sold!!!

So I have got 2 e-mails but those 2 are for my \'eldar falcon\' and my \'eldar falcon details\' pictures on here. Should I just send the complete image of the \'eldar falcon\' and is it optional to send the \'details\' after it or do I just have to send the pic of the falcon?

I was very pleased and honoured to receive a mail inviting me to submit some pictures, but I had a few questions I wasn\'t clear on.

Can we edit 72dpi pictures up to 300dpi in PhotoShop? I no longer have several of the minis I was invited to submit in my possession.

I\'m not even sure what to change on my camera to retake pictures of the ones I do still have, to be honest. I take photos at the highest quality next to raw format.

Also I\'m assuming you want pictures that we consider ready to print, I mean that we should be doing our own colour correction and whatever other adjustments we make to get a picture posting ready.

I\'m very excited to hear there will be another annual, the first one has been a great inspiration to me!

didn\'t realise I\'d submitted so many in 08 that qualified ..
    unfortunately probably won\'t be able to submit due to not having decent pics (I have to clear up pics off of my laptop on a fairly regular basis.and I don\'t keep many minis..

I know there must be endless questions. To answer a few.

1) Not sure if you can make a 72 dpi pic into a 300 dpi. Someone with a better knowledge of photoshop might be able to tell you.

2) I am not sure how many entries will be in the final version of the annual. It all depends on how many people will submit better pics, and from there, we will have to decide how many page we want the book to be. So in short, there are no sure thing.

3) In general, better pics, bigger pics will always win out at the end.

I guess if I were a good painter and I painted something that is worth a 8.0 or more on CMON (which by the way as all of you know is not an easy task) I would take some nice pics if I were to sell it. But, I guess that\'s just me.

I know we failed to compile an annual for the last few years, but rest assure that from now on this will be a yearly thing. So if you think your submissions are going to get high scores, I would surely put away some decent hi res pics just in case you make the cut next year.

Hi guys... I felt very honored to recive an invitation... I would love to see even one of my creations in the CMON book.
    I got 2 question ...
    I dont have the actual mini but I have an old photo. I\'m not sure what is the dpi but it\'s a 1600x1200. Can someone tell me how to find out for sure... And... The photo that I have has a blue-to-white background made in Photoshop is that a problem (which I need to fix) or do you guys are going to either fix it or leave it???

Thanks again for noticing my work... :)

Orginal gepostet von borg
    I know there must be endless questions. To answer a few.

1) Not sure if you can make a 72 dpi pic into a 300 dpi. Someone with a better knowledge of photoshop might be able to tell you.
    Nope, that is not an option. Pictures which have been lowered down in their resolution can not be seized bigger. There will be a massive quality loss, because it is just making the low resolution pictures bigger.

Regards
    jar

Originally posted by Wren

Can we edit 72dpi pictures up to 300dpi in PhotoShop? I no longer have several of the minis I was invited to submit in my possession.
    Yes, just go to (this may be different for you- I have Photoshop 7) Image> Image Size... , just like you\'re going to resize it. Untick the \"Resample Image\" box (you don\'t want to resize it, just change the resolution) then enter 300 in the Resolution box. This shouldn\'t actually change the size of the image (you will not add or lose pixels) but just alters how big printers and such see the file as. That is, if it change sthe quantity of pixels, undo it and make sure there is no check mark in the \"Resample Image\" box. (And be aware that Photoshop might remember that you unticked it, so when you go to actually resize a photo later, you\'ll have to make sure to check the box again.)

The only real issue you may have is if you\'ve cropped it down to web sizes for posting and no longer have the original. For example, if you have a 500 pixel wide image to post on CMON, at the standard 72dpi for web, it will be about seven inches wide (depending on how your monitor\'s resolution is set) on your screen. Change the resolution to 300dpi for print, and it will show up in the book at only 1.6 inches. This probably won\'t be an issue, though, if you have the original camera files and are using the largest size/best quality- they\'ll be plenty big enough.

I am getting my degree in graphic design so if you need help on future annuals let me know :)