Yeah, I feel like starting.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yeah, I feel like starting....

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    Originally posted by demonherald

...frivolous lawsuits....
    And here is your main culprit. Schools are so acutely aware of legal action that it ties their hands and stifles what most would see as being reasonable responses to many situations.
    not just schools sadly. ask your lady what the health service is like

Originally posted by Thomgirl
    I hate dutch ovens... what is it with husbands dutch ovening their wives? :p
    my missus does that to me!

Airhead-Sure! I\'m all for the money smoking brings in. Yahoo! But I really think it\'s a poor personal choice to smoke, but I\'ve always been a non smoker.

I do drink though, so I am being totally hypocritical. I like getting drunk, I like being drunk, and I wish the trials of life allowed me to make a little more time for it. Once a month is about it for hangin\' out with the guys telling made up stories and pretending to believe each other over a case or two of beer. Sigh.... Now I am in danger of romanticizing the good old days!

So yes, government is out to make money (the only good governments are the ones who act like a business IMO anyway...) but they always have. SMoking (and drinking!) are bad for you, but they always have been.

Back to the topic I just really think that even with the environment of un-accountability (Is that a word? If it isn\'t I call dibs Webster!), taxing, bad news, crappy situatins at school we still have it ten times better then ever before in the history of man.

Even DH, who I really, really feel for in the situation with his son, has it better. The odds of growing up and having to send our kids off to war are not what they used to be. By a long shot.

No real looming threat of armageddon. The stock market is down, but looks like rebounds are already starting to happen etc.

I still vote that today is best,and yesterday sucks ass by comparison. Most of the time.

-Update!- as I was writing this I got a call that my daughter was taken to the hospital. She\'s not critical or anything but she\'s been looking paler and paler and today the care giver was concerened enough that my wife took her in. She\'s diagnosed with extremely low Iron (which is a tad frightening given the amount of red meat I pummel into her system) and their\'s a course of action implemented and she\'s already showing some signs of improvement in disposition. Total time from getting to the hospital to now was 3 hrs, and in that time we got a diagnosis and a detailed plan towards a short term solution, with more detailed tests. Those reults will be done by Thursday A.M., that\'s pretty impressive. Take that 1957!

Scott - here\'s hoping it\'s nothing serious!

My Daughter is gona be fine. Turns out her Iron level were dangerously low. 42. Dunno what that really means, I wasn\'t there but apparently 40 or lower signifies heart failure. She\'s on a supplement now that should have things up and running, but we gotta give ti to her three times a day and I suspect the process will not be a fun one. I worry about the dose she\'s to receive in the middle of the day when my Wife and I are at work, but bottom line she\'s fine.

The culprit..... apparently it\'s milk. Too much milk hampers the body\'s ability to absorb Iron I guess. I didn\'t know that, and I didn\'t really think too much abou tthe amount of milk we\'d been giving her. It\'s milk, I always thought that it \"did a body good\" and stuff, but between my wife and I plus the care provider she\'d been drinking like 10 times the reccomended amount.

So thanks for the concern Zora, but again, here\'s something that I don\'t think would\'ve been solved so fast in the past. Also a marginally funny story came out of it, but I\'ll post that on it\'s own.

Weird, I was just thinking earlier of posting this medical-related \"good old days\" comparison:

1949 - A man gets polio and is put into an iron lung. Unfortunately, he still becomes paralyzed and twelve years later dies from bed sores.

2009 - What\'s polio?

Kep

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

:D glad you daughter is recovering, who knew to much milk could be bad for kids

???1950s....girls did the arm pushes to develop bigger boobs

2000.......girls get implants

Glad to hear your daughter is going to be okay.

FYI: I went through the same thing when I was a kid. Shot my immune system to crap for a few years, but I bounced back right as rain. I take an iron suppliment every other day (basic vitamin) and keeps me healthy and well. No worries dad, no long term damage. (My count was around 50 when they figured out what was wrong.)

a tip:

If you drink juice, it´s easier for the body to absorb iron, so maybe have your daughter drink juice when taking the supplemetns...?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Slah-Yeah, that\'s what the Doc said. We just feel a little like idiots because we didn\'t think milk was problem. Too much milk that is. We all just kind of thought we were the only ones giving her milk.

Originally posted by pez5767
    Shot my immune system to crap for a few years,
    How did you do that? Chemical exposure? A friend of mine had that happen from working in a photo lab. Went from being a lumberjack (literally) to being a wraith.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Originally posted by pez5767
    Shot my immune system to crap for a few years,
    How did you do that? Chemical exposure? A friend of mine had that happen from working in a photo lab. Went from being a lumberjack (literally) to being a wraith.
    Same as Scott\'s daughter. Too much milk lowered my Iron count. White blood cells use iron to reproduce. Got a serious cold and had a low iron count. It took the doctors about 6 months to figure out why I was getting sick so much... No iron, no white blood cells. Low white blood cell count... low immunity. It took a little over a year after that to get my immune system and health back to normal.

Keep in mind I was going through about 1/2 a gallon of milk a day to get to this point.
    :|~

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

I\'ve said all along, that milk is only good for baby cows...And then only up to a point.

Originally posted by EArkham
    Weird, I was just thinking earlier of posting this medical-related \"good old days\" comparison:

1949 - A man gets polio and is put into an iron lung. Unfortunately, he still becomes paralyzed and twelve years later dies from bed sores.

2009 - What\'s polio?

Kep
    People can (and do) get polio from the vaccine.

Dies from bed sores? That\'s neglect, not polio.

Originally posted by freakinacage

i agree. media hype makes things worse. there does seem to be a lot of \'dumbing down\' though
    Quite true. What passes for college classes now was the level of eighth grade in the late 1800\'s. It puts the \"dropped out of school after 4th grade\" into perspective.

Originally posted by Wendy
    People can (and do) get polio from the vaccine.

Dies from bed sores? That\'s neglect, not polio.
    ...are you seriously arguing that there\'s not a huge difference between health care in 1949 with no vaccine against a widespread, debilitating and potentially deadly disease and today\'s health care where it\'s all but eradicated (and people can only get polio from the oral vaccine, and then it\'s ~1 in 700k)...?

Quite true. What passes for college classes now was the level of eighth grade in the late 1800\'s. It puts the \"dropped out of school after 4th grade\" into perspective.
    They had advanced knowledge of physics, medicine, and computers in eighth grade in the late 1800\'s? What?

Did I just get trolled? lol

Kep

Originally posted by freakinacage

i agree. media hype makes things worse. there does seem to be a lot of \'dumbing down\' though
    was it? so in the 1800 san eithgrader could tell you how to create a complex chemical formual, or anyaylse the works in depth of the great writers?

Perhaps we all just long for simplicity? In our minds, earlier generations were free of many of the trappings and complexities of our modern world. Are we better off for those complexities? In many ways sure. Are we any happier? If so, I don\'t see it.

\"Let that which truly does not matter slide.\"
    -Fight Club

Originally posted by hestan101

was it? so in the 1800 san eithgrader could tell you how to create a complex chemical formual, or anyaylse the works in depth of the great writers?
    no, but knowledge wasn\'t generally as advance or widely available. i\'d wager that they were better at spelling and mental arithmetic

Originally posted by EArkham

They had advanced knowledge of physics, medicine, and computers in eighth grade in the late 1800\'s? What?

Did I just get trolled? lol

Kep
    Usually when one is discussing education, one is talking about reading, writing, and math as opposed to more specialized subjects. College was for advanced subjects, if one showed the capability.

Computers? It\'s not fair to consider something that hasn\'t been invented yet and has no bearing on the general level of education.

Originally posted by hestan101

Why not? Tell me honestly how many college kids do you think can do that now? Did you mean memorize a complex chemical formula?

I\'m not saying kids back then were smarter. It\'s the culture and methods that have changed.