Very cool gizmo

Thread: Very cool gizmo

Default Very cool gizmo

I just configured a headset with mic (hardest part) and just barely started using the voice recognition program that comes with XP. With about 20 minutes of \'training\' the thing is typing out what I say with a very good accuracy percentage. A lot of the time I\'m working with my computer to my side and the keyboard covered with stuff yet I need to shoot off a quick email - this thing is the PERFECT solution.:beer:

Was that post typed with Voice Rec?

I did a bunch of work on voice rec. back in university using a new programming language called Miranda, but haven\'t really touched it since. The only thing I use my mic. and headset for is gaming.

cool. i would love to do that myself

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    ...a very good accuracy percentage.
    That\'s the issue for many people, me included - just like with OCR if it\'s not at or near 100% does it actually save time?

Course this is assuming one can type; because I\'ve worked around trained typists of one kind or another for so long I tend to forget that not everyone took typing classes or whatever :)

Einion

Originally posted by Einion
    Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    ...a very good accuracy percentage.
    That\'s the issue for many people, me included - just like with OCR if it\'s not at or near 100% does it actually save time?

Course this is assuming one can type; because I\'ve worked around trained typists of one kind or another for so long I tend to forget that not everyone took typing classes or whatever :)

Einion
    Yeah - 98% accuracy and you might as well be doing it yourself; it\'ll take long enough to find the errors. Assuming you care that much about accuracy, that is; quick emails probably don\'t need it.

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    Was that post typed with Voice Rec?
    It was in the control panel. Just an icon called \'speech\'. It came with the computer.

@Einion - What the issue for me is, is my cramped work/computer space. While working, I have a tray of stuff that fit\'s over the keyboard. Ocassionally during the day I\'ll need to do a quick search on the net for something or send off an email. It\'s a hassle to disassemble the tray setup just for that. With the little bit of typing needed, I\'m OK with how it\'s worked so far.
    Fun thing though.

That\'s not what I meant.

I meant was that original post here on cmon, and now the new one posted using the voice recognition software or did you type it?

I would love to see you \'dictate\' a post and see how well it does. I doubt \"colon drunk colon\" translates well. :drunk:

@Gilvan Blight - Ahh, got it. No it wasn\'t. I actually forgot it. I just tried it on an email and it was a total flub. The night before it was almost flawless.

Ok, I\'ll try this. I\'ll type something then speak the same thing.

A clown, a baseball player and a Mexican walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says - \'what is this, some kind of joke\'?

The loan a baseball player and a Mexican walk into a power than a bartender looks up and says what is this some kind of joke ?

Apparently (this is the old fashoned way here) it \'learns\' the more you do it and/or train it......there is also a setting where I can turn up the amount of horsepower the computer will dedicate to it. A bit slower but supposedely more accurate. Right now I have it at about 70%.

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    The only thing I use my mic. and headset for is gaming.
    So that\'s YOU spamming the chat channel with Rick Astley, in between bouts of implying that I am a homosexual who is using hacking to cheat lol

I remember my friend using voice recog. during grad school in the 90\'s. It kinda sucked and needed a LOT of training. I can only imagine what improvements ten years of technological wizardry have brought. Does it screw up a lot of homophones or does it have some contextual ability to guess which one you mean?

No I\'m not underage. Everyone I hear online being a total a$$ is like 12. It\'s gotten a bit rediculous. I don\'t even use my headset on Xbox live anymore, it\'s just not worth hearing all the crap.

The voice rec. software they were working on when I was in Comp. Sci. was really cool. You actually taught it a grammar instead of training it to recognize your voice. It would use the grammar to figure out words it didn\'t know by the words around it. It was spookily accurate, and even worked well on people with accents.

The problem with the whole thing though was that you had to teach it grammars. The test program I was working with had a space grammar. You could ask it questions about space, planets, moons, orbits etc. I guess that grammar took something like 2 people a year to input.

The overall goal was to create software that people could use one a phone with the internet. So you would call Google, tell it you want to search for restaurants in the Windsor area and it would read back webpages.

Rather cool concept, but I\'m guessing by the fact this doesn\'t exist yet, that it never did work or they are still working on it.